Horse/TB conformation questions and discussion.

Just thought I'd start a thread to not detract from the foal, sales, two year old, etc threads, for those of us who have questions about the conformation of horses (and maybe even the pedigrees behind the horses that contribute to good/bad conformation). I know there are many learned folks on the site, and myself and others would appreciate your input. So everyone, please, do not be afraid, everyone is here to learn and share -- post away! :)

Comments

• Great idea, @sarinne. Thanks! One thought that I have is that since you can probably find some conformation flaw on nearly every horse, we should be careful not to step on each other's toes, when pronouncing someone's "it" horse over at the knee, or whatever. :D
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Totally understand, @jen_bloom -- good point! There is definitely no perfect individual out there! :)
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    @QueenZFan22 or anyone else that can help -- if I (or anyone else that doesn't know how to do this) find a pic in a tweet I'd like evaluated, how do I repost that to this thread? I am not a twitter subscriber so I no nothing about it other than looking at and watching the ones that are posted. Thank you in advance for all your help :)
  • You could probably Quote the post in question (assuming it's from this forum) and then copy/paste the URL in this thread.
  • sarinnesarinne Member

You could probably Quote the post in question (assuming it's from this forum) and then copy/paste the URL in this thread.

Oh duh, I didn't even think of that, thank you! :)
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Hopefully posting like this works........ Since he was discussed in the Tapit thread I'm interested in what a more experienced eye has to say about him. And I know it's not the greatest pic to evaluate from, just wondering about some thoughts, of course with the caveat that he's still two and developing.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Well it didn't show the tweet, but it's the Tapit/Winter Memories colt. Sorry I have technical problems lol
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Also maybe compare and contrast to the this guy?
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    First impressions, I much prefer the Enchanted Rock colt. Winter Memories colt appears to be splayed in the back end. Could be the photo but really do not like the feet, or angles on that colts and quarters. Both colts have very similar shoulders. I don't see any major issues there. Back wise the Enchanted colt has a shorter (not short) back with well sprung ribs and just really good muscle development over all. I look at the Winter Memories and think....weak.

Feel free to agree or disagree! I always want to learn and see what others see. I definitely have a type! LOL
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Thank you for posting, @Wezzie, definitely helps, I can see your points. I appreciate it! :)
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Thank you, @shellcollector -- that was really educational and helpful to me!
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    In line with what Wezzie is saying the Winter Memories colt is bred for the turf, which is why he did his 'under saddle' on the turf. You usually see turf runners with the longer back and 'dinner plate' hooves. All 3 of Winter Memories foals are turf bound.

The Enchanted Rock colt is a dirt runner build.

Each is actually a well conformed individual, but their conformation suits the surface they're intended to run on. The nice thing about Tapit is he can sire dirt and turf runners with equal success.

WM's colt is meant to go all day but at modest fractions. Classic turf.

ER's colt is a dirt sprinter.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Thank you for explaining the distinction in conformation in regard to surface/distance builds, @Zenyen -- I appreciate it.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nice insights Zenyen. Thank you. B)
  • BetsyBBetsyB Member
    edited March 29
    Okay, I like this thread. Thanks, sarinne, for getting it started, and thanks to all for the insight. Good to learn some new things about this sport.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    You are welcome, @BetsyB -- I'm excited to learn more :)
  • Someone please tell me these legs have a chance to straighten out.

Some light turnout was prescribed for 19 Your Flame in Me - California Chrome filly who had been on stall rest since arriving due to fractured ribs from birth.

• WezzieWezzie Member
    Oh yeah. She apparently was very cramped while inutero. Will take a month or so to be not quite so bent. Per the text she hasn't had an opportunity to run and get things stretched.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    She's huge!
  • Oh good! She has a beautiful head and I just love here blaze. Except for those legs I really like the rest of her.
    Wezzie said:

Oh yeah. She apparently was very cramped while inutero. Will take a month or so to be not quite so bent. Per the text she hasn't had an opportunity to run and get things stretched.

• KMMKMM Member
    In those first newbie pictures she does look scrunched up and then she is unwinding / stretching out. <3
  • Conformation insight from Taylor Made Vet.

• WezzieWezzie Member
    Good info