Fort McHenry (Tapit x Love the Chase)

Comments

• Read he came in last. Didn't see the race. Will need to find a replay.
  • Read he came in last. Didn't see the race. Will need to find a replay.

@Especially_Horses I watched the race he started well but faded in the last few furlongs. to last. Didn't look to bad to me for a debut though.
  • Ironic that the half-sibling, by a leading, in demand sire, gives LTC the worse debut showing of her five to race foals.
    CC: 2nd
    Hope's Love: 2nd
    R Sunday Surprise: 3rd
    Faversham: 2nd
    Fort McHenry: 5th and last

Read he came in last. Didn't see the race. Will need to find a replay.

@Especially_Horses I watched the race he started well but faded in the last few furlongs. to last. Didn't look to bad to me for a debut though.
  • Ironic that the half-sibling, by a leading, in demand sire, gives LTC the worse debut showing of her five to race foals.
    CC: 2nd
    Hope's Love: 2n: 3rd
    Faversham: 2nd
    Fort McHenry: 5th and last

Read he came in last. Didn't see the race. Will need to find a replay.

I agree but there were also track differences (and coast differences) in debuts. CC made his debut at Hollywood Park, Hope's Love made her debut at Golden Gate while both R Sunday Surprise and Faversham made their debuts at Santa Anita. In my Saratoga is a much harder and competitive track for a horse to make their debut.
  • He fought hard for the lead but once he was overtaken, he never really responded again. It seems like he needs practice rating. He was also gawking a bit in the stretch. I wasn't very impressed, but he's still a baby.
  • edited August 2019
    Still haven't seen the race, but notes say "when asked for more he capitulated". If true, quite disheartening to read.
    Lioness said:

He fought hard for the lead but once he was overtaken, he never really responded again. It seems like he needs practice rating. He was also gawking a bit in the stretch. I wasn't very impressed, but he's still a baby.

• QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Especially_Horses Here is a bit about his race from the Blood Horse.

Out of the Not for Love mare Love The Chase, Fort McHenry showed some early speed, prompting the early pace of Tobey L. Morton's Yankee Empire, but gave way on the turn and finished 14 3/4 lengths behind the victorious Acre, a half brother to Lea .

"He was kind of green so it's back to the drawing board," said Todd Pletcher, who trains the juvenile for the Coolmore partnership of Derrick Smith, Mrs. John Magnier and Michael Tabor. "Hopefully longer races will help him."

Purchased from the Bedouin Bloodstock consignment at the Keeneland sale, Fort McHenry is the fifth foal from Love The Chase to race. Three of them own victories, but California Chrome, her first foal, remains the lone stakes winner from the group. She also delivered a Pioneerof the Nile yearling and Uncle Mo weanling.
  • Just watched the replay. That was awful. Green or not, there was very little to like. Can only hope that turns out to be a true throw out.

https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/racing/replays
  • He never changed his lead. He didn’t understand what he was supposed to be doing out there and got distracted when Acre went by him.
  • He was not persevered with. He was there for an education and not to win. Win would have been nice but expect to see a much more determined colt next out. He is also a big boy. He may not have liked the footing and he definitely didn't like dirt in his face.
  • Thanks for confirming about his not changing leads. I watched the replay on a tiny tiny screen and I thought he didn't change leads, but I wasn't sure. Was going to mention, but then thought someone would come back with "yes he did". LOL.
    Zenyen said:

He never changed his lead. He didn’t understand what he was supposed to be doing out there and got distracted when Acre went by him.

• :'( He's so not ready yet --- I hope this is a "throw away" race, he's still really green
  • Was this not his first race?
  • Workouts have started again.

Horse Workout Notification
    August 30, 2019

Fort McHenry (2-Year-Old Colt)

Date: August 30, 2019
    Track: SARATOGA
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:02 Breezing
    Track Condition: Firm
    Surface: Turf training
  • He's in Florida

Date: September 13, 2019
    Track: PALM BEACH DOWNS
    Time: 49:53 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Horse Workout Notification
    September 21, 2019

Date: September 21, 2019
    Time: 49:35 Breezing
  • Next start, October 4, at Gulfstream Park West.

• edited October 2019
    October 28, 2019

Date: October 28, 2019
    Time: 49:28 Breezing

October 18, 2019

Date: October 18, 2019
    Time: 49:95 Breezing
  • He broke his maiden at Gulfstream Park West on Saturday!!! I got to watch it on TVG live!
  • He won impressively, but still looked green to me and has room for improvement.

Half Brother to California Chrome Breaks Maiden
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/236825/half-brother-to-california-chrome-breaks-maiden?fbclid=IwAR04s5uNUlGtVw_xN0Px5BjHwSLBysppCEKMQBgudAzt43YbMOszhrHBoyk

• Hey. I'm good with room for improvement. As long as he improves. <3
  • Me too. Impressive winner, with room to improve.....bodes well. He needs to relax. He was really rowdy and fighting his rider. Plus, I believe this was the second time he stumbled out of the gate.

Hey. I'm good with room for improvement. As long as he improves. <3 </p>

• Horse Workout Notification
    November 16, 2019

Date: November 16, 2019
    Time: 50:79 Breezing
    Track Condition: Good
  • California Chrome sibling Fort McHenry stepping into stakes company

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/California_Chrome_sibling_Fort_McHenry_stepping_into_stakes_company_123

Michael Tabor, Mrs. John Magnier and Derrick Smith’s Fort McHenry, a half-brother to two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome, is prominent on the list of 23 nominees for the $75,000 Smooth Air on the Nov. 30 Juvenile Showcase program at Gulfstream Park.