2019 Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale

Since this is such a popular sale I figured it it's own discussion. I will post more information when it becomes available.

Comments

• @Especially_Horses @sarinne the catalog for the sale is posted above.
  • Good deal. Thanks.

@Especially_Horses @sarinne the catalog for the sale is posted above.

• Mares mated to California Chrome

• Hmmm. A daughter of Summer Bird (Summertime Gal), and a daughter of Winning Colors (Ocean Colors). Very cool!
  • @QueenZFan22 thank you! And pace yourself! I don't know if EH thinks this but I often want to send you a pizza or something. :blush:
  • Interesting damsires for the Chrome foals.........I remember the Taylors being big on getting Unbridled Song or US line mares booked to him, as well as Storm Cat line. I follow the US, not so much the Storm Cat.
  • Thumbs up! =)
    sarinne said:

@QueenZFan22 thank you! And pace yourself! I don't know if EH thinks this but I often want to send you a pizza or something. :blush:

• Weanlings by California Chrome

• The daughter of Winning Colors is interesting.....although she hasn't produced anything noteworthy to date. It's too bad her 2018 Empire Maker filly died. I'd be interested in this mare, as an entry level breeder, even if she wasn't in foal to CC. I like her sire as a broodmare sire and I like the dam side and taking a chance on the female family.....foundation, foundation, foundation. She is not a young mare so the price should reflect that and then I'd pray for a filly and at least one more foal out of her that was a filly.

Hmmm. A daughter of Summer Bird (Summertime Gal), and a daughter of Winning Colors (Ocean Colors). Very cool!

• The Ramsey's are seriously reducing their broodmare band. They have 69 Broodmares cataloged. I recognize many of the names from their Facebook and from the naming of their two year-olds. In addition they are reducing the number of horses they plan to keep to race. They have 27 weanlings in the sale.

I also noticed that Martin Racing is off-loading two mares they specifically bought for Chrome in 2016 .....Theworldweknow (in foal to Malibu Moon) and Our Biggest Fan (back in foal to CC).
  • The Ramsey's are seriously reducing their broodmare band. They have 69 Broodmares cataloged. I recognize many of the names from their Facebook and from the naming of their two year-olds. In addition they are reducing the number of horses they plan to keep to race. They have 27 weanlings in the sale.

I also noticed that Martin Racing is off-loading two mares they specifically bought for Chrome in 2016 .....Theworldweknow (in foal to Malibu Moon) and Our Biggest Fan (back in foal to CC).

I would not call selling in the November breeding stock sale "off-loading." The January sale is the "cull" sale.

November is the sale you send top stock through to maximize their market value. You also sell good producers who perhaps you've had in your band for a while, gotten stock from, and you want new blood. Not every successful broodmare is a blue hen like Leslie's Lady.

Ramsey may be trimming their numbers since they don't need to be supporting Kitten's Joy so aggressively, but it wouldn't surprise me that for every 2 or 3 they sell, they pick up 1 with new blood.

As for Martin Racing, it looks like they also got what they wanted from these mares and are looking for some ROI since they had foals that sold well.
  • Some easy name combos with Jr weanlings.
  • Are we policing words now? Can’t use the word off-loading in association with the November Sale? Please. I’m well aware, as are others, of the quality of mares that are cataloged to this sale and what the purpose and expectations are for entering a mare. That’s one reason QZF22 creates a separate Thread for Discussion and doesn’t lump under the Sales Thread. There were over 4,500 horses cataloged last year and again this year, and I have no doubt that right along with the elite mares (Champions, Stakes winners/producers, etc.) there are some mares that are culls and not a few from the Ramsey consignment. Most of the Ramsey mares are not going to get a six-figure bid (maybe none), I expect to see a few leave the sales ring sold at a final bid $1,000; those are culls. We know why the Ramsey’s are reducing their numbers, we’ve known for two years now that Mr. Ramsey is reorganizing his breeding/racing game plan and wants to concentrate on getting a Derby horse. So, no surprise if he picks up a few new mares for that purpose. As for the Martin’s it was merely a passing mention that I noticed those two particular mares were cataloged and I didn’t find it unusual whatsoever.
    Zenyen said:

The Ramsey's are seriously reducing their broodmare band. They have 69 Broodmares cataloged. I recognize many of the names from their Facebook and from the naming of their two year-olds. In addition they are reducing the number of horses they plan to keep to race. They have 27 weanlings in the sale.

I would not call selling in the November breeding stock sale "off-loading." The January sale is the "cull" sale.

November is the sale you send top stock through to maximize their market value. You also sell good producers who perhaps you've had in your band for a while, gotten stock from, and you want new blood. Not every successful broodmare is a blue hen like Leslie's Lady.

Ramsey may be trimming their numbers since they don't need to be supporting Kitten's Joy so aggressively, but it wouldn't surprise me that for every 2 or 3 they sell, they pick up 1 with new blood.

As for Martin Racing, it looks like they also got what they wanted from these mares and are looking for some ROI since they had foals that sold well.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited October 16

Are we policing words now? Can’t use the word off-loading in association with the November Sale? Please. I’m well aware, as are others, of the quality of mares that are cataloged to this sale and what the purpose and expectations are for entering a mare.

In this instance, yes. Because the words are attached to specific implication, just like calling a horse a "half-sibling" will result in most people in the industry believing you're talking about the dam line.

"Off-loading" means cull. It means selling stock that has not produced into the lower market and potentially into a dangerous situation once their usefulness has been deemed over. Mares who are "off-loaded" are the ones at risk to ending up in kill pens, rather than pensioned on the farm or with a sanctuary like Our Mims.

You can use whatever words you want, I'm not stopping you from doing so. But I'm also allowed to point out when the terminology means something specific in the industry and why your use of it in a certain context is incorrect and offensive to the industry.
  • Good grief! What a rabbit trail. How did you forget to bring Ferdinand into the mix? LOL.
    Zenyen said:

Are we policing words now? Can’t use the word off-loading in association with the November Sale? Please. I’m well aware, as are others, of the quality of mares that are cataloged to this sale and what the purpose and expectations are for entering a mare.

In this instance, yes. Because the words are attached to specific implication, just like calling a horse a "half-sibling" will result in most people in the industry believing you're talking about the dam line.

"Off-loading" means cull. It means selling stock that has not produced into the lower market and potentially into a dangerous situation once their usefulness has been deemed over. Mares who are "off-loaded" are the ones at risk to ending up in kill pens, rather than pensioned on the farm or with a sanctuary like Our Mims.

You can use whatever words you want, I'm not stopping you from doing so. But I'm also allowed to point out when the terminology means something specific in the industry and why your use of it in a certain context is incorrect and offensive to the industry.
  • Anybody want to pitch in with me and buy her? ;) =) :lol:

• Anybody want to pitch in with me and buy her? ;) =) :lol:

I'll co-own. :tongue: