American Stallions Exported to Japan

I thought there was already a thread created for stallions standing in Japan, but try as I might I couldn't find one. Anyway, with all the current news of stallions like California Chrome, Bricks and Mortar and Mind Your Biscuits going to Japan I thought this would be a good Discussion Thread to start.

I'm sure this was posted back in October, but I just saw the article in Bloodhorse about New Year's Day standing at Shadai Stallion Station starting in 2020. I had no idea that Stud Eternamente Rio in Brazil had sold him to Japanese interests before he had much of stallion career in Brazil.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/236526/new-years-day-arrives-at-shadai-stallion-station

A spokesperson at Shadai Stallion Station said: "New Year's Day was in Brazil until the spring. After the decision was made to bring him to Japan, he had been moved to a farm in the U.S. that has a contract with us.

"After waiting for the contract to be finalized, he spent around two weeks in immigration quarantine before his departure to Japan.

"At first, he went to Yokohama Animal Quarantine Station and spent three weeks there before coming to the Shadai Stallion Station in Hokkaido."

The Article also mentions he only bred 25 mares in 2018 while at Hill n Dale. He really is a beautiful stallion.

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Bloodlines Presented By The Virginia Thoroughbred Association: Behind The Scenes Of California Chrome’s Sale To Japan

https://www.paulickreport.com/features/bloodlines/bloodlines-presented-by-the-virginia-thoroughbred-association-behind-the-scenes-of-california-chromes-sale-to-japan/

A significant part of the decision to sell California Chrome was the result of his yearlings' reception at the 2019 Keeneland yearling sale, as well as other auctions around the country. From a first crop of 105 foals, 77 went through the sales ring in 2019, with 42 sold for a gross of $3,759,000, an average of $89,500, and a median of $65,000. The better stock were quite nice, not especially pretty in some cases, but they were generally of good size, well conformed, with good length and good mechanical properties to be athletes.

The sales numbers tell a tale. The commercial market was not a strong believer in the horse, and the number sold and the prices are a factual measure of that.

“A lot of commercial breeders didn't gravitate toward him like we'd hoped,” White said. In evaluating and acquiring racing prospects, advisers and buyers typically want to limit risk as much as possible; buyers and breeders want every one of them to look the same. “The Chromes came in all shapes, sizes, colors. A lot of them tended to look like the mares.”

But that is not an absolute indicator that California Chrome will be a poor sire. All these young horses have a lot of growing to do, and some pinhookers bought stock by California Chrome in the belief that they would improve in training by early 2020.
  • Was reading the comments under the Maximum Security Thread, related to him standing at Coolmore's Ashford Stud, and while it was noted New Year's Day is not a fashionable sire (my goodness he only bred 25 mares in 2018, that says it all), I'm wondering if ANY American Farm gave any thought to bringing him home to stand stud in America again: especially any farm who wanted an actual son of Street Cry. A second thought, I wonder if any of those foals from the 2018 breeding season will be seen at the Yearling Sales in 2020 and if there will be more interest in them now.

I thought there was already a thread created for stallions standing in Japan, but try as I might I couldn't find one. Anyway, with all the current news of stallions like California Chrome, Bricks and Mortar and Mind Your Biscuits going to Japan I thought this would be a good Discussion Thread to start.

I'm sure this was posted back in October, but I just saw the article in Bloodhorse about New Year's Day standing at Shadai Stallion Station starting in 2020. I had no idea that Stud Eternamente Rio in Brazil had sold him to Japanese interests before he had much of stallion career in Brazil.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/236526/new-years-day-arrives-at-shadai-stallion-station

A spokesperson at Shadai Stallion Station said: "New Year's Day was in Brazil until the spring. After the decision was made to bring him to Japan, he had been moved to a farm in the U.S. that has a contract with us.

"After waiting for the contract to be finalized, he spent around two weeks in immigration quarantine before his departure to Japan.

"At first, he went to Yokohama Animal Quarantine Station and spent three weeks there before coming to the Shadai Stallion Station in Hokkaido."

The Article also mentions he only bred 25 mares in 2018 while at Hill n Dale. He really is a beautiful stallion.

• Honestly? A quick look at the records of his progeny strongly suggests that Maximum Security was an exception.

Only ten other foals have tipped into the 6 figures and none of them are anywhere close to Max's earnings, and none of them have ever won as many races as Max even though some of them have had up to 18/20 starts.

So maybe if there is something in the 2018 crop that is bred along lines similar to Lil Indy they might light up the board, but I don't see a case for either bringing NYD back to the US or those 25 foals hitting big numbers.
  • Pride of Dubai hasnt exactly been a stellar son of Street Cry in Australia either
  • Having seen and having had hands on Max, Lil Indy, and NYD, Max is a far closer type (conformation + attitude) to Lil Indy than NYD. Max has a lot more leg than NYD. NYD himself is almost surprisingly stocky, very much a QH type. Max's female line tends to stamp pretty consistently, throwing heavily to that ND type. Line Max up next to a Flat Out and they're awfully similar, just attractive horses. Not big but relatively correct with good heads and a dash more spice than the typical NYD. It should be noted that Max's far less accomplished full brother, Coastal Highway, is a real looker himself and sold for 125k as a yearling.

The only NYD foal I can think of that really looks like dad + can actually run a bit is Jake Rocks, who won a pricey MSW on the grass in November.
  • edited January 2020
    Thanks, I always appreciate your analysis. Epecially because it is based on current hands-on experience. Interesting to hear your opinion since you actually were hands-on with the family.
    EliRose said:

Having seen and having had hands on Max, Lil Indy, and NYD, Max is a far closer type (conformation + attitude) to Lil Indy than NYD. Max has a lot more leg than NYD. NYD himself is almost surprisingly stocky, very much a QH type. Max's female line tends to stamp pretty consistently, throwing heavily to that ND type. Line Max up next to a Flat Out and they're awfully similar, just attractive horses. Not big but relatively correct with good heads and a dash more spice than the typical NYD. It should be noted that Max's far less accomplished full brother, Coastal Highway, is a real looker himself and sold for 125k as a yearling.

The only NYD foal I can think of that really looks like dad + can actually run a bit is Jake Rocks, who won a pricey MSW on the grass in November.

• Thanks, I always appreciate your analysis. Epecially because it is based on current hands-on experience. Interesting to hear your opinion since you actually were hands-on with the family.

EliRose said:

Having seen and having had hands on Max, Lil Indy, and NYD, Max is a far closer type (conformation + attitude) to Lil Indy than NYD. Max has a lot more leg than NYD. NYD himself is almost surprisingly stocky, very much a QH type. Max's female line tends to stamp pretty consistently, throwing heavily to that ND type. Line Max up next to a Flat Out and they're awfully similar, just attractive horses. Not big but relatively correct with good heads and a dash more spice than the typical NYD. It should be noted that Max's far less accomplished full brother, Coastal Highway, is a real looker himself and sold for 125k as a yearling.

They're a neat little family! Not gonna lie, the first word that popped in my head when I saw NYD in person for the first time was "shaggy". It was May.
    I could picture him being a kid's first horse, so quiet and kind.
  • Ill take creator for show hunter classes here, but yikes the rider on AK, legs flapping and on the forehand, I would be swishing my tail too, but nice shape towards end
  • Its not Japan but heres Daredevil being shipped to Turkey.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_TJK_/status/1211746699397541893

Super Saver being shipped to Turkey.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_TJK_/status/1211744881699381251

Other stallions Authorized and Myboycharlie were also exported to Turkey.