Summer Wind Farm (Jane Lyon).

Comments

• sarinnesarinne Member
    Oh no, @Lioness not a dig at all, I'm sorry you took it as such. I sincerely apologize :cry: I just know a lot of people get frustrated with, say Mandy, using him so much too, but I'm simply a huge Tapit fan, so I had to put a word in for my handsome guy, since he elicits so many groans of not again. But I get that! :) Sure, it'd be interesting to see Littleprinccessemma go somewhere else -- SF has bred Love the Chase all over the place and the same with Spendthrift and Beholder. So you have both sides of the coin.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited June 11
    @sarinne gotcha! No need to apologize! I too am familiar with the criticisms that Mandy receives with her top broodmares. Tapit is arguably the best right now, so why not send the best to the best? It makes total sense!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Hey, I think Tapit is overused, like Stormcat was. Why do you think we have to rethink inbreeding and evaluate soundness issues in the U. S. ? Lots of stuff limiting U.S. breeding in past 50 to 100 years.
  • LionessLioness Member
    I think that's a broader issue than just Tapit, who has a smaller book than a lot of other Kentucky stallions. I hope the new book limit helps this, but the US does need new bloodlines.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Lioness said:

I think that's a broader issue than just Tapit, who has a smaller book than a lot of other Kentucky stallions. I hope the new book limit helps this, but the US does need new bloodlines.

Agree. The last stats I saw, Into Mischief covered twice as many mares as Tapit, who's book is very strictly controlled.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tapit has been on the scene for how many years? And into Mischief? Really not a fair statistical comparison.
  • KMMKMM Member
    If you want to look at this realistically, it is a much deeper dive.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    The reason we hear so much of Tapit's mares and progeny is because they are excellent. I believe Gainsway limits his book to 150 mares in the piece I watched about him.
  • KMMKMM Member
    He’s been around for too long. Time to find a fresher gene pool. Hard to do!
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    IM will continue to see the same or larger books for the rest of his life. At the end of their careers (with Tapit’s ending within the next few seaons) IM will have seen far, far more mares than Tapit. This year alone, IM has had 242 individual runner to Tapit’s 176. I’m driving a tractor and I don’t have the other exact numbers in front of me but I’d be surprised if IM didn’t already have more foals on the ground than Tapit.
  • KMMKMM Member
    IM?
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Tapit has been at stud since 2005; Into Mischief since 2009. Incidentally Into Mischief is a Storm Cat line stallion.

I do believe the Euros, and especially those in the UK and Ireland has bred themselves into a corner with Northern Dancer. Not just the US, and Tapit is not the only AP Indy line stallion at stud throwing excellent foals.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited June 11
    He is nearing the end of his stud career, so there are bound to be tons of Tapits around. He will be retired soon enough. His only standout stud, IMO, going forward appears to be Constitution. That may help down the road some. But we need fresh genes all around.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Too bad so many stud lines disappeared; Damascus and any you want to name, among others. Stallion choices are becoming narrower like difference between drinking a Pepsi or Coke.
  • LionessLioness Member
    I am very sad that Tiznow hasn't really found his own standout to carry on his line.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Bayern has an interesting and old sire line and a beautiful female family. Will be interesting to see how his young runners turn out.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    KMM said:

He’s been around for too long. Time to find a fresher gene pool. Hard to do!

Hard to do because American racing and American dirt tunnel vision means that the fresh gene pool are horses American Breeders won’t support. Because the fresh gene pools are geared towards turf.

A number of breeders have tried to bring in new blood and each time it’s been a bust. Don’t make it about the horse KMM, it’s the people who don’t want fresh blood.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I agree. We make the horse the commercial property. They just do their jobs.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Really nice damline.
  • LionessLioness Member
    Here is the Tapit-Littleprincessemma colt, now 2. He has a lot of baby fat to tone once he gets to the track but looks like a little powerhouse at the moment :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157641718038019&id=594488018
  • Lioness said:

Here is the Tapit-Littleprincessemma colt, now 2. He has a lot of baby fat to tone once he gets to the track but looks like a little powerhouse at the moment :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157641718038019&id=594488018