European Racing and Breeding

I know this is a US site with naturally a heavy focus on US racing and breeding, but racing and breeding is international and I couldnt really find a good alternative place for some of my posts and they tended to get scattered all over the place. Hopefully it will also help to cut down on multiple posting as well. I hope you guys will find it of interest

What better way to kick of this discussion thread, than with an introduction to the worlds oldest classic - the St Leger stakes which will be run today

The St Leger Stakes is a Group 1 flat horse race run in the UK, and open to three-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies. It is run at Doncaster in northern England, over a distance of 1 mile, 6 furlongs and 115 yards (2,921 metres), and takes place each year in September.

Established in 1776, the St Leger is the oldest of Britain's five Classics and indeed is the worlsds oldest classic race. It is the last of the five to be run each year, and its distance is longer than any of the other four.

The St Leger is the final leg of the English Triple Crown, which begins with the 2000 Guineas and continues with the Derby. It also completes the Fillies' Triple Crown, following on from the 1000 Guineas and the Oaks.

The name derives from Captain Anthony St Leger, an army officer and politician who lived near Doncaster. It was initially referred to as "A Sweepstake of 25 Guineas", and its original distance was two miles. The rules stipulated that colts and geldings were to carry 8 st, and fillies would receive an allowance of 2 lb. The length of the race was cut to 1 mile, 6 furlongs and 193 yards in 1813, and despite some minor alterations has remained much the same ever since.

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    edited September 12
    Racingfan I vote a solid yes! What a fun and welcomed thread! Trying to find the time U.S. Eastern standard. 10:35. TVG is broadcasting Doncaster races now.
  • Watchout also for the 1m2f Irish Champion stakes as well, where the worlds current highest rated horse Ghaiyyath is running against last years winner Magical last years winner
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is one of the races I’m waiting for! Exciting day in Irish racing!
  • The Joseph O'Brien-trained Galileo Chrome has won the St Leger, as the colt, ridden by Tom Marqaund edged out Berkshire Rocco in what was a tremendous dual in the final furlong, with Santiago third.

O'Brien has made history with this victory, becoming the first man to ride and train a St Leger winner since Harry Wragg in the 1930s.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Wow Magical! Irish Champion Stakes! Gutty performance!
  • One tough mare, Magical was three lengths behind Ghaiyyath when they met at York last time out, and there was no obvious reason as to why she should reverse the form but she's such a tough and consistent performer and she's taken full advantage.

Have to go and lie down now, You have to admit O’Brian has a real way with these fillies and the Coolmore production line keeps churning them out
  • KMMKMM Member
    So true! I hope you feel OK racingfan.
  • This is great! I always wanted to learn more about the races in Europe. I am familiar with some of the UK classic, but would love to learn more! Please keep the thread going!
  • No worries there @KMM, its a busy weekend in Europe with the Gp 1 Prix Vermeille run over 2,400 metres (about 1½ miles ) and open to fillies and mares aged three years or older. This race as well as the Grand Prix de Paris, (Gp 1 for 3-year-old fillies and colts) and the Gp 2 Prix Foy for 4-year olds and older, ( 2,400 metres) form the main french Arc trial races
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tomorrow?
  • Yes tomorrow
  • KMMKMM Member
    I will be watching! I think I love turf races better than dirt. The turf horses in Europe look more full bodied than are our U.S. dirt horses. Is it the longer distances and surface? It was nice to see all of the slower paced walk to the track, jockeys mounting, and advancing to gates for Euro races this morning given scheduling of enough time between races. Lovely thoroughbreds with close up longer looks. B)
  • KMMKMM Member
    It seems that Magical May be better at a shorter distance than L’Arc.
  • Nice wins for colts Mogul, Anthony Van Dyke, and the filly Tarnawa at Longchamp today.

Mogul ran out an authoritative winner of the Grand Prix de Paris on Sunday leaving the likes of this years Epsom Derby winner Serpentine, English King and GermanDerby winner In Swoop trailing in his wake. Mogul ran out a comfortable winner for Aidan O'Brien, with Deutsches Derby winner In Swoop finishing strongly to snatch second from 40-1 outsider Gold Trip.

Another Aidan O’Brian runner, Anthony Van Dyck won for the first time since last year’s Derby when holding off supreme stayer Stradivarius by a neck in a steadily run Prix Foy at Longchamp.

Both Mogul and Anthony Van Dyck are sons of Gallileo

Tarnawa enhanced her claims for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe with a powerful late run in Sunday's Prix Vermeille at Longchamp. An Aga Khan homebred daughter of Shamardal, she was no star at two, but progressed nicely last season, striking at Group level, although coming up short in the Epsom Oaks.

These horses may go for the Arc but may also choose other options. O'Brien had suggested that Mogul could drop back in trip for his next run, with several options open to him.

"Mogul is in the Arc, he’s in in Australia and there’s the Champion Stakes so he doesn’t have to go [to the Arc]," he said. "We were thinking of going back to a mile and a quarter.

"He could go to America, he could go to Hong Kong so there’s a lot of options for him. He’s in the Caulfield Cup and the Cox Plate.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks racingfan. Those were some nice races.
  • Another two Gp. 1’s for Galileo at the Curragh

The Galileo filly Shale won the Moyglare Stud stakes Over 7 f. This was Donnacha O'Brien's first Group 1 in Ireland as a trainer. Shale is another Coolmore-bred daughter of Galileo out of the 2012 1,000 Guineas heroine Homecoming Queen.

Moyglare Stud Farm’s filly Search For A Song (Ire) recorded back-to-back wins in The Curragh’s G1 Irish St Leger over 1 1/2 miles. Unlike the UK St Leger, the irish one is for 3-year olds and older
  • For those of you who are not familiar with what Newmarket looks like this is a fine introduction

• Nice debut win for Hill n’Dale stallion Flintshire.

Five-time Group/Grade 1 winner Flintshire got his stallion career off the mark when Talacre struck at the fourth time of asking at Gowran, Ireland, on Saturday.

The Juddmonte homebred is out of the winning Oasis Dream mare Bird Flown, and is therefore a half-sister to this year's Irish 2,000 Guineas hero Siskin, who also won the Phoenix Stakes as a juvenile.

Bird Flown is herself a half-sister to the Listed winner Barsanti, who placed in a further ten black type contests. Her half-sister, Rising Tornado, produced the Ensign Stakes scorer Close Hatches, who in turn is the dam of Juddmonte's three-time Grade 2 winner Tacitus
  • Oh dear, not sure you would see this stateside...

Apprentice Jockey George Rooke had a night to forget after riding a finish a circuit too soon at Wolverhampton on Saturday, for which he was hit with a 14-day suspension.

Rooke, was riding the well-backed joint-favourite Sophar Sogood in the 2m½f handicap. Leading the field turning into the home straight for the first time, the jockey started to get serious with his mount, stretching out the gap back to his rivals all the way to the line.

Rooke was seemingly unaware of his mistake until the rest of the field swept by him heading out to the back straight, at which point he started riding again. Having expended his mount's energy, he eventually trailed home on Sophar Sogood to finish ninth of ten, beaten 55¼ lengths.

After interviewing the rider and showing him recordings of the incident, the stewards banned Rooke for 14 days.
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is an oh dear “brain fart”.