A.P. Indy

Does anyone know what's been going on with A.P. Indy lately?? I know his grandson and son are in the Derby but I wanna know how the Old Man is doing.

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Last i heard hes living out his days at lanes end still
  • Ah, good ^^ How old would he be now?? 25??
  • RachelRachel Member
    From my calculations he's 23. Which is a bit of a shock cuz that's not a bad age. Makes me think he might of been overbred, but I might be wrong
  • RachelRachel Member
    He was born in 1989, same as me ^.^, so I did 2012-1989 and got 23
  • Really? I ride a school horse of that age....He must have been bred quite frequently he has been in so many bloodlines that before I knew even who he was I always thought "He must of been some old time famous racehorse" or something...Never occured to me that he would still even be alive. But he is! Such a great guy too.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I thought that way with dynaformer. Now here I am seeing pictures of him and now hearing about his death. He bred up til he was 27. Good old stud he was. He will be missed. I also had thought another stallion was dead too, can't remember who it was tho.
  • I thought that way with dynaformer. Now here I am seeing pictures of him and now hearing about his death. He bred up til he was 27. Good old stud he was. He will be missed. I also had thought another stallion was dead too, can't remember who it was tho.
    I thought Storm Cat was dead but he is alive and healthy. But I always thought A.P. Indy was ANCIENT....Especially considering into account his sire. I thought he'd died ages ago....He's the grandson--Not great grandson-- Of Secretariat....So I thought he was old indeed! It would be an honor to see him....Such great things don't last forever on Earth.

• RachelRachel Member
    I want our lost heros back from Japan :( cigar is who it was lol. Charismatic is still alive and healthy, wish he wasn't in Japan either :( he could go to the Kentucky horse park or old friends
  • RachelRachel Member
    Cigar is as old as I am, 22. I remember seeing the Breyer model of him when I was a kid. He was one of the first famous race horses my mom told me about.
  • The first racehorse I'd ever heard of was...Of course...Secretariat. When I really got into horse racing was when I'd heard about all these BOY champions.....Where on earth were the girls? So I went girl-racehorse hunting and it developed into a love for the sport. Cigar, Storm Cat, A.P. Indy......They are the last of the great oldies. Many think there won't be a next champion and after all I'd hear....I began to doubt it as well. I thought A.P. Indy had retired from stud service so would have no sons to run in the Derby....Take Charge Indy sure proved me wrong on that! A.P. Indy still pulls suprises.
  • I thought that way with dynaformer. Now here I am seeing pictures of him and now hearing about his death. He bred up til he was 27. Good old stud he was. He will be missed. I also had thought another stallion was dead too, can't remember who it was tho.
    Maybe you are thinking of Indian Charlie? Or Montjeu? Both died recently.

AP Indy's last crop was born in 2011. They are yearlings now. You'll see them on the track starting next year. He came up infertile for the 2011 breeding season.
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    A.P. Indy is 23, born March 31st 1989. He was a ridgling so that may have had a bit to do with why he was no longer fertile along with age. He will live out the rest of his days at Lane's End.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Anyone remember Chelokee? hes still alive. i knew about indian charlie and montjeu. i read the articles on their deaths and seen their progeny run. i really knew about indian charlie due to uncle mo. i had thought saint liam was a horse from the 60s or further back lol til i looked him up cuz of havre de grace. Im learning about horse racing still and the history that comes with it.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2012
    Im surprised vindication has 3 yr olds running. i believe theres a filly in the oaks running thats by him? He was born in 2000 died in 2008 from a stomach rupture :( in 2003 he suffered a severe injury and that caused him to retire. His race record is 4:4-0-0. poor guy, i remember tvg talking about his death in 2008 cuz thats when i learned i got that channel and would watch it non stop.
  • JenniftJennift Member
    I visited AP Indy in 2011, a few months after he had been declared infertile. The tour guide at Lane's End (though her job is much more than being a tour guide) did say that they believe him being a ridgling did relate to the sudden and unexpected dropoff in his fertility. She gave the impression that he had never been the most fertile stallion, but I'm not sure if that's true.

By my calculations, this should be Vindication's last crop of 3 year olds. For me, personally, his death is the worst thing to happen to the sport of racing in recent years. I think he had a really promising future as a stud.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Broadway's Alibi is the daughter of Vindication running in todays Oaks
  • RachelRachel Member
    He covered 78 mares in 2007. not sure about 2008 leading up to his death. he wasnt pensioned, he was only 8 yrs old poor thing :( wikipedia is where i got the info on him, along with every other horse that has interested me.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Lets not forget Landeluce. she was up there with ruffian i believe
  • JenniftJennift Member
    I didn't mean to diminish the unfortunate fates of any horse, including Landaluce. However, what happened with Landaluce was thirty years ago, or so, and I did say "in recent years". Plus, a mare's opportunity to influence the sport is limited in the number of foals she can produce, while a stallion can give us hundreds of foals. And Vindication was off to such a promising start. But I didn't mean to start a debate. Just sharing my personal feelings. Obviously, what happened with Barbaro was terrible also. But, Vindication (like AP Indy) gave us a connection back to the great horses of the 70s that few other horses could match by 2008.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Landaluce was only 2yr.....died of viral thing ...buried at Hollywood Park...daughter of Slew..undefeated kn 5 races which she won by combined 26-27lengths...
  • RachelRachel Member
    We were just talking about ap indy and how old he was and then it turned into talking about other stallions then vindications daughter racing today and i threw in landaluce cuz i saw rebornruffian's name and thought of what that filly did. just remembering old heros and heroines (i have no idea if i spelled that right lol)
  • RachelRachel Member
    Article says landaluce died in Lukas' (her trainer) arms. that had to of been tough to handle
  • RachelRachel Member
    By the way, what does the term "ridgling" mean?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    A ridgling is a horse with an undefended testicle
  • I agree with Jennift, A.P. Indy and Vindication are the last of the powerful horses of the 70's. How can you meet A.P. Indy?