A.P. Indy

Comments

• I love it. He looks like a true gentleman, as well.
  • he was born in the same year as me so that means we are the same age ^.^
  • assuming hes still around a month from now, i'll try and get some pics of API at lanes end when im there in january. they generally wont bring him out since hes retired but i can get him in his stall..same with kingmambo
  • Hell be around, hes only 24
  • Kurt, when you are there at Lane's End, ask them what the AP stands for.
  • VA CA-I will be there during the keeneland sale. flying in on friday january 3rd.as far as what day i go to LE, they usually have several days of open house so getting in there isnt too difficult...if you all havent resolved the A.P mystery by then, i will definitely ask. last year i wasnt able to get any pics of him because he was real close to the stall door..got to touch him, but not photgraph him. this year i got a new wide angle lense that will allow me to be inches away and still shoot him..should be fun
  • You are a lucky guy to get to visit those special horses. I'll try not to turn too green (with envy). lol
  • A.P. always has his head down. Certainly unique. He's just gorgeous even in his old age.
  • Still a great looking horse, that's for sure!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited December 2013
    Yes, this is a re-post. It is worth taking another look.
    When I saw Photo 21, I thought how much Coz looks like his grandfather.Keta
    A. P. Indy: A Photographic Tribute
    A salute to A.P. Indy.
    The Blood-Horse April 8, 2011 12:00 AM
    A. P. Indy: $2.9 million dollar yearling, Classic Winner, 1992 Horse of the Year,
    Leading Sire
    Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/APIndy/a-p-indy-a-photographic-tribute
    This has an outstanding collection of photos of A.P.Indy and his progeny.
  • I visited AP Indy in 2011, a few months after he had been declared infertile. The tour guide at Lane's End (though her job is much more than being a tour guide) did say that they believe him being a ridgling did relate to the sudden and unexpected dropoff in his fertility. She gave the impression that he had never been the most fertile stallion, but I'm not sure if that's true.
    Too bad he didn't "hold out" for one last breeding season in 2011. Maybe Zeny would have gone to him. But things have a way of working out and now we have the wonderful Coz.
  • I think a Zenny and Indy mating would of created a Super Horse. Many studs out there that zenny nicks well with though.
  • i think the moss' had a pretty good idea that API's fertility was down. i think everyone expected her to be bred to API and as an aging but proven stallion, he would have been the first choice. my guess is they knew that with a maiden mare and a stallion with declining fertility, it was best to try the son..which as EH said, may prove to work out well
  • Based on what I heard during my tour of Lane's End, I think Lane's End was actually fairly surprised when they had to retire AP Indy from stud. They expected to get a few more years out of him.
  • I'd take quality over quantity any time especially with stallion foal production. Like I said earlier, APIs legacy isn't done yet. In his line, I"m really sorry Pulpit left us so early too.
  • I'm hoping to see the big man soon! I'm just nervous about calling them up because up here in Washington, if you call someone up and act like you don't know what you're doing.... They snap at you and either hang up or start being really mean and shrewd.
  • RR, they are very professional and cordial when you call. There's nothing to be nervous about, go on and call and ask what it is you want to know.
  • RR12- do you know yet when your going to be there? as stated before, if your there during the keeneland sale in january, i can ALMOST guarantee they will have an open house and u can see API without feeling nervous about it..hell, if your there that week,your more then welcome to hang with our lil group and go farm hoping
  • My father and I will be in Kentucky from July 6th to the 11th.
  • You are so lucky. Have a great time.
  • I agree with what Valeria said, RR. LE staff are indeed very professional and accommodating when it comes to allowing visits with their stallions. Other than during their Open House events, tours of the stallion barns have generally been at 10 am on Thursdays during the non-breeding season.

• Video a fan made of Honor Code-- look at the trot on this boy!
  • I see what you mean VA_in_CA. It does look odd and I don't know if it was always like that or not. Thanks for sharing, Ashton. He still looks great. Wow, the blood running through those veins! And now Zenyatta's babies have the same blood. I love it!
  • Good grief, VA_in_CA, I think I responded to a post of yours from awhile back. Don't know how I got back there or even where I am. Ha Ha! The holidays have done me in!
  • I'll DEFINATELY be there!

Several KY farms hosting open houses

by Paulick Report Staff | 01.04.2013 | 3:19pm

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/several-ky-farms-hosting-open-houses

A number of Lexington, Ky.-area Thoroughbred farms will host open houses and stallion showings for breeders to coincide with the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale, which runs from Jan. 7 through Jan. 11.

Shadwell Farm

Adena Springs
    701 Cane Ridge Rd., Paris, Ky.
    Sunday, Jan. 6
    9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    Cajun food to be served; shuttle available from Keeneland.

Ashford Stud
    5095 Frankfort Rd., Versailles, Ky.
    Monday, Jan. 7 through Friday, Jan. 11
    11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily
    Transportation available from Keeneland; food will be available.

Castleton Lyons

2469 Iron Works Pike, Lexington, Ky.
    11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily
    Light refreshments provided

Crestwood Farm
    3933 Spurr Rd., Lexington, Ky.
    Sunday, Jan. 6
    12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    Food and drinks served in heated tent; free 2013 season raffle for each stallion.

Darley at Jonabell Farm
    3333 Bowman Mill Rd., Lexington, Ky.
    12 p.m. to 3 p.m. daily

Lane’s End
    1500 Midway Rd., Versailles, Ky.
    Saturday, Jan. 5 through Wednesday, Jan. 9
    10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily
    Food and beverages will be served.

Spendthrift Farm
    884 Iron Works Pike, Lexington, Ky.
    Saturday, Jan. 5 through Friday. Jan. 11
    12 p.m. to 3 p.m. daily

Three Chimneys Farm
    1981 Old Frankfort Pike, Versailles, Ky.
    Sunday, Jan. 6 and Monday, Jan. 7
    12 p.m. to 3 p.m. both days
    Lunch will be provided.

WinStar Farm
    3001 Pisgah Pike, Versailles, Ky.
    Sunday, Jan. 6 through Friday, Jan. 11
    10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily

Wintergreen Stallion Station
    Muir Lane, Midway, Ky.
    Monday, Jan. 7 and Tuesday, Jan. 8
    12 p.m. to 3 p.m. both days