A.P. Indy

Comments

• I'll start my ky trip blog this afternoon...had a few good developments this morning..fly tommorrow...
  • I wonder why?
  • Youd think being a stud farm theyd have to have an open house
  • TOP BILLING WINS!
    The Downey Profile ‏tweet Sat. Jan. 25 2014
    Surfing U S A sets honest but not too-fast pace, Top Billing (McGaughey, Rosario) rolls from last to win with authority at GP 1:42.66.
    RT @larrycollmus Top Billing's final time was less than a second off the track record set by older stakes winner River Seven.

Ray Paulick tweet Top Billing owned and bred by WS Farish and EJ Hudson Jr Trust, trained by Shug McGaughey. Bright future for this 3yo colt. Joel Rosario up
    DRFBreeding ‏tweet
    Impressive GP winner Top Billing (Curlin) o/o G3W Parade Queen (A.P. Indy).
    Dam of G3W Untouched Talent, dam of Bodemeister. #KyDerby
  • I like Honor Code for the Derby, but I also like Cairo Prince.
  • Honor Code (A.P. Indy - Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat) Shug McGaughey – No workouts since January 18 at Payson Park have Honor Code backers nervously chewing their nails. The good news is that he is just about ready to make it back to the worktab, hopefully meaning that he will still have time to get in two good preps before May rolls around. That’s good news, but the devil’s advocate would warn, one more hiccup and he will not be properly prepared for the Derby. True, but McGaughey is as good as anyone at getting his talented runners back on schedule and primed to fire on the day of a big race. Remember, no juvenile showed more promise as a potential classic runner than this one did. Whether he starts off in Oaklawn’s Rebel in March, or another race, all he needs to do is finish up full of run and move forward to the next stop. If you thought he was going to wind up the best of this crop, there is no reason to give up on him yet.
  • Commissioner (A.P. Indy - Flaming Heart, by Touch Gold) Todd Pletcher – Are you looking forward to Top Billing-Commissioner Part II? I am. The first one, even though it was only an allowance, was terrific. Given that I like Top Billing as much as I do, it follows that I must like this one as well, and I do. The second son of A.P. Indy on this list, his broodmare sire, Touch Gold, was also a Belmont winner, so it should come as no surprise that Commissioner can get the distance. As a matter of fact, he is the only three-year-old in the nation with two wins at nine furlongs on the dirt. The first one having come back in August at Saratoga, so the win over Top Billing was impressive considering the long layoff. He’ll get his first taste of stakes racing in the Fountain of Youth, but my guess is that if he can beat the same horse he did last time, he’s likely to find himself in the winner’s circle once again.
  • Derby shaping up to be good field.
  • I was at the track when Commissioner's granddad raced in 1997 in the Pegasus at the Meadowlands. Touch Gold came in 4th out of 4. I went to that race particularly to see Touch Gold. But then, in the paddock, I saw Behrens. He was one of the most beautiful TBs I've ever seen. I picked him to win and he did.
  • Honor Code is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Under the circumstances, things couldn’t be going any better. He worked 3 furlongs in :35 3/5 and also was caught a half in :47 3/5, galloping out a solid 5 furlongs. McGaughey won’t rush him into the Gotham (gr. III) and likely will wait a week for the Rebel (gr. II). Oaklawn hasn’t exactly been a common watering hole for McGaughey’s 3-year-olds, but timing is what’s important and a Rebel-Arkansas Derby (gr. I) double should have him ready for the first Saturday in May. With his strong foundation, he shouldn’t need more than that, especially if he can get a good stiff race in one of them. Because of his come-from-the clouds style in his first two races, that Remsen barn-burner was much needed to show his versatility and willingness to fight and come back from certain defeat.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/18/derby-dozen-february-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2thpvXrCZ
  • Commissioner is #7 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Commissioner Todd Pletcher

A.P. Indy—Flaming Heart, by Touch Gold

We know he’s a fighter, and now he just has to demonstrate his class in stakes company and show he can beat Top Billing at equal weights. He had a far better trip the last time they met, and most likely will have a better trip in the Fountain of Youth, but the rail is always tricky, and you can bet Pletcher would love to see him get to the outside. John Velazquez, who rode him two races back, will replace Jose Lezcano. He seems to be in top physical condition, and like Top Billing, just needs to start collecting some points, with only one remaining start after the Fountain of Youth.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/18/derby-dozen-february-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2thqqzUTj
  • Commissioner
    TRAINER: T. Pletcher
    JOCKEY: J. Velazquez
    LAST START: Allowance 1-neck
    NEXT START: Fountain of Youth 2/22
    COMMENT: Breezed 4f in :49.10 Sunday at Palm Meadows.
    POOL 2 ODDS: 22-1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-rankings-strong-mandate-lurking-behind-candy-boy-article-1.1617241#ixzz2thxpjkBA
  • Honor Code
    TRAINER: C. McGaughey
    JOCKEY: J. Castellano
    LAST START: Remsen 1-nose
    NEXT START: Rebel 3/15
    COMMENT: Returned to work tab going an easy three furlongs.
    POOL 2 ODDS: 12-1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-rankings-strong-mandate-lurking-behind-candy-boy-article-1.1617241#ixzz2thyQxC3n
  • Two AP Indy colts possible for Derby and both trained by Shrug...loving this!
  • Shug has Top Billing and Honor Code. Honor Code- AP Indy and Top Billing- Curlin
  • Honor Code and Top Billing are related. Top Billing's granddad is also AP Indy.
  • Laurie: Commissioner—(A. P. Indy - Flaming Heart, by Touch Gold) is exciting. The pros: this lightly raced colt has won twice at 1 1/8 miles and is by a Belmont Stakes winner out of a stakes winning dam who is by a Belmont Stakes winner. He’s also a half brother to Laugh Track, runner up in last year’s BC Sprint. The Pletcher trainee shouldn’t have an issue with distance. The cons: The late-running colt cuts back a half furlong and draws the rail. Can Johnny V. keep him out of trouble? Hey, it’s Pletcher and Johnny V. The Commissioner is a contender!

Ashley: Commissioner—Though he doesn’t get a whole lot of stamina from his distaff line, Commissioner gets a good dose of stamina through both his sire line and his damsire. He already has two wins at 9 furlongs, so shorting up half a furlong should not be a problem. In his last start, he just edged highly regarded Top Billing here at Gulfstream. It looked as though he got the better trip of the two that day, though, since he was closer to the pace. The two ended up side by side when racing for the wire, and it appeared that Commissioner bumped, or at the very least crowded, Top Billing between himself and Hy Kodiak Warrior. I really liked that he continued to gallop out in front. This will be a class test, but if he runs to his pedigree, he shouldn’t have any problems here. Contender.
  • Honor Code is one of two top Derby prospects for Shug this year: http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-mcgaughey-has-two-top-prospects-repeat-bid
  • Honor Code is #3 on this weeks Derby Dozen List: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Now that he appears to be back in a steady work pattern, breezing a half in :49 3/5 at Gulfstream, he once again is looking like a serious Derby horse, and with three more works scheduled before the Rebel (gr. II) he should be right back on schedule. He and Top Billing make for one dynamic Derby duo, and it’ll be interesting to see where Shug goes next with Top Billing. Will he follow the Orb route and stay in Florida or get the colt off that track? As for Honor Code, if there is a Triple Crown-type horse this year, it’s him, taking into consideration his regal pedigree, his ability to come from the clouds or track the pace if slow, and a classy 2-year-old campaign under him, racing against the likes of Havana and Cairo Prince. And he has the physical prowess, all prerequisites of a Triple Crown horse.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/24/derby-dozen-february-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uHJFS3uJ
  • Commissioner – I wasn’t impressed with his performance at all. Going into this, and if the track was fair, he worried me a little bit. I loved Top Billing, but I considered him the main threat. He broke well and settled into a nice stalking trip from the inside. He had nothing left late and I would have liked to have seen more from him. I was torn going in, but I am against going forward I think. He may be the type that just needs to get that perfect pressing trip to be effective
  • Arethusa (A. P. Indy - Miss Coronado, by Coronado's Quest) Eoin Harty – Watch out for this one. Sure, on several occasions she has looked terribly ordinary, but the Sharp Cat romp showed what she could do if she gets things her way. She was the only one really running late in the Las Virgenes, so maybe she is starting to get more consistent. If the pace is hot in the Oaks, Arethusa could be one of the big beneficiaries.