A.P. Indy

Comments

• Commissioner is running May 15th in the Pimlico Special Stakes. He will be ridden by Javier Castellano. He is trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by WinStar Farm LLC.
  • Deceptive Vision is running May 23rd in the Nassau Stakes. She will be ridden by Patrick Husbands. She is trained by Malcolm Pierce and owned by Sam-Son Farm.
  • Got Lucky is running May 24th in the Monmouth Beach Stakes. She will be ridden by Paco Lopez. She is trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by Hill n Dale Equine Inc.
  • Key to Power is running May 30th in the Opening Verse Stakes. He will be ridden by Miguel Mena. He is trained by Brendan Walsh and owned by Premier Stables Unlimited.
  • Tacticus is running June 6th in the NYRA.com Brooklyn Invitational Stakes. He will be ridden by Rajiv Maragh. He is trained by Jane Cecil and owned by Flaxman Holdings Ltd.
  • Indy Awesome is running June 6th in the Brooks Fields Stakes. He will be ridden by Martin Escobar. He is trained by Clay Brinson and owned by Lothenbach Stables Inc.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Congratulations Lane's End & Shug McGaughey & all the Racing Team.
    Jerry Bossert Sat June 6 2015
    Honor Code rolls home to take the Met Mile
    at 7-1 in 1:33.18.
    Set track record!!
    Is this an omen for the next race-Belmont Stakes?
    Honor Code was sired by A.P. Indy son of the Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew and out of mare Weekend Surprise, who was sired by another Triple Crown winner: Secretariat.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm...I may be mistaken, but I thought Honor Code was out of Serena's Cat (by Storm Cat). idk

Oh...I see you meant A.P. Indy was out of Weekend Surprise. Sorry mis-read the article above.
  • He was my early pick for last year. Still love this boy!
  • Lanes End posted a photo of AP Indy on its facebook. He sure doesn't look like he's 26. Just magnificent!!
  • Gorgeous 10 yo A.P. Indy son for sale at Laurel. A real warhorse who needs a soft place to land. I'm not affiliated with him in anyway, but I know many of our members love A.P. Indy babies.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153200495969760&set=gm.805095039559184&type=1&theater
  • OMG how I would love to have him!
  • Isn't he just beautiful? His head reminds me a lot of Honor Code.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Interesting. He is a good looking horse. Personally, I like a longer head streamlined down to nose on a thoroughbred. Personal taste; my two girls have those kind of heads. They are longer heads. :) k
  • If I could look out my window and see an AP Indy son in the pasture my life would be completely fulfilled. API is my picture here, I fed him a cookie, and hugged his thick neck - I haven't been the same since!!
  • KMMKMM Member
    All good, and what we love...and we actually love them all. Many different standards of beauty and handsomeness. We like our own preferences but certainly appreciate All others. K
  • While looking through the new BloodHorse I noticed the finish order of the Indiana Derby on 07/18. :-)

1. Tiz Shea D (Tiznow-Ender's Sister, by AP Indy)
    2. Mr. Z (Malibu Moon-Stormy Bear, by Storm Cat)
    3. Diving Rod (Tapit-Precious Kitten, by Catienus)
  • When you look at the finish of the Indy Derby and the blood lines of the first 3 finishers, you see each horses' pedigree goes back to AP Indy through sire or dam lines. It is amazing how important this one stallion has been! :-)
  • You know, what I found even more interesting is that.... If you look into American Pharaoh's pedigree: A.P. Indy is nowhere to be found! How intriguing is it that, the most popular classic sire of our century.... Isn't in the pedigree of our Triple Crown Winner?
  • crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
    edited July 2015
    You know, what I found even more interesting is that.... If you look into American Pharaoh's pedigree: A.P. Indy is nowhere to be found! How intriguing is it that, the most popular classic sire of our century.... Isn't in the pedigree of our Triple Crown Winner?
    All the better for Indy-line mares to outcross with Pharoah ;-)
  • American Pharoah is a great-grandson of Storm Cat (also a pretty popular guy), so it's not a total outcross. Storm Cat's and A.P Indy's dams are genetic half-sisters, both being daughters of Secretariat. In any event, American Pharoah has a pretty conventional pedigree, so he's likely to run into many mares with whom he shares fairly recent ancestry. He's not going to be an outcross sire for most breedings.

This shouldn't hurt him. Most breeders aren't looking for total outcrosses anyway. What is the saying? "Return to the sire the best blood of his dam."
  • It was somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I should have been more clear: I didn't mean a total outcross. Those are about as rare in NA breeding as...Triple Crown winners ;-) It's rare enough these days that the 2 "AP's" don't have any common ancestry other than the 1 strain of Secretariat, and even that wouldn't show on a 5 cross chart
  • Finally got a new computer, so I can get some of the Lane's End photos from our visit a year ago posted :-) Here's one of my favorites:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic