A.P. Indy

Comments

• imagine a life with no interenet, no pictures of the greats on their facebook pages or links to horse racing news sites for articles on the horses. i think we can atleast be very greatful that we have a way to see these horses while we are in our own homes or on the go. it would be even better to see them in person but we can still be greatful for what we have in the mean time. i would love to go to kentucky but no idea if i ever will get to. would love to see the museums there, my cousin works as a volunteer at the Kentucky Horse Park where she gets to see cigar, da hoss (who is a sweetheart she says), and lots of others. very lucky girl indeed.
  • You are so very right. The internet still amazes me.....we can do things, see things never thought possible....and it's interactive,too! My kids/grandkids take this for granted; I just sit in awe, and click away......I did give Indy a petting for his fans on the internet, told him so, too. He yawned...fame must get boring......for a horse. Rather have a peppermint.
  • Thanks for your contributions, scenthound, and welcome! This is a fun place to visit and there is a lot to learn. BTW....where did your 'handle' come from? My family bred and showed Beagles and Afghan Hounds for many years, so I know something about scenthounds and sighthounds.
  • Love your visual of meeting A.P. scenthound. I had a very similar experience when I met his daddy at Three Chimneys Farm. When I first saw Slew, he was just hanging out in his stall with his front legs crossed and indeed looked very bored. But he perked up and got interested rather quickly when I started to feed him grass. Later, he came outside to pose for pictures. He was very gentle. Slew O' Gold on the other hand was feisty and a biter although very friendly and enjoyed visiting.

Joanna - I had a red and white Basset Hound and now have a red and white Beagle. I love the hounds.
  • Welcome, Scenthound. Great post! You are right about The Factor. When I first saw him, wow, he knocks your socks off! Beyond beautiful! Who doesn't love A.P. Indy? What a guy! Slew was and still is, to me, too good to be true. Just something special! So happy I was around to see him run and, of course, Big Red! That A.P Indy pedigree is the best!
  • The reason I love A.P. Indy so much is because he's the best of both worlds. The essence of Secretariat and Seattle Slew are present in his photos. I remember when I was small, my grampa (who is a big racing fan) told me these stories of Secretariat, and I remember thinking he was some kind of superhero! Lol. And Seattle Slew, what a great horse he must have been...I thought they had both died along with their legacy. Until I heard of A.P. Indy, I read all about him, watched all his races, and couldn't help but be reminded of those stories my Grampa told me when I was a little girl. I have yet to find another horse who reminds me of those stories.
  • Secretariat was a superhero, I think! I remember Penny Chenery saying she thought he could go around the track again on Belmont day when he won by sooooo far! He was otherworldly that day for sure! It is exciting that A.P. Indy has gotten so many young fans to appreciate Big Red and Slew! What greats they were!
  • A.P. Indy should have been the 12th triple crown winner!
  • Indeed. Maybe one of his progeny will step up to the plate.
  • Hmmmm, since the girls seem to be stepping up......why not a daughter of Indy?
    You hit the nail on the head re: my handle. I am owned and trained by two incredibly spoiled Bassets, a 13-year old tri-color boy, and a 12-year old blk/brn little girl. Hounds: they keep you guessing. Life with them is never dull ( see Guardian Angel Basset Rescue, of which we are proud members). Horses and dogs, gotta lovem them.

• Hmmmm, since the girls seem to be stepping up......why not a daughter of Indy?
    You hit the nail on the head re: my handle. I am owned and trained by two incredibly spoiled Bassets, a 13-year old tri-color boy, and a 12-year old blk/brn little girl. Hounds: they keep you guessing. Life with them is never dull ( see Guardian Angel Basset Rescue, of which we are proud members). Horses and dogs, gotta lovem them.
    And I do. And I also was owned by a Basset.

I own a chocolate Doberman Pinscher and I got to say....He is such a clown! And an absolute sweetheart too. I find it sad because everyone says Dobermans are mean dogs, but every single one I've met has been a very loyal, obedient, and charismatic canine. I've wanted one since I was very small and now I have one! He's everything I'd thought he'd be. Sorry it's off topic, but with the mentioning of dogs, I had to throw him in here.
  • What is his name? I know, off topic, but to me, all the wonderful qualities that a human could posses; loyalty, nobility, trustworthiness, honor, are easily found in dogs and horses.
  • What is his name? I know, off topic, but to me, all the wonderful qualities that a human could posses; loyalty, nobility, trustworthiness, honor, are easily found in dogs and horses.
    His name is Gibson! Though we call him "Mr. Gibbs" in honor of Pirates of the Caribbean .
  • Very Cute!!! I'll bet he is wonderful!
  • Very Cute!!! I'll bet he is wonderful!
    He is! He's really just a big puppy at heart. I don't have a horse...But he's the closest I can get lol
  • Does he eat like one? A horse, I mean! Lol!
  • edited October 2012
    YES he does! He wolfes down his meal (no pun intended) and then tries to eat the meal of our other dogs'! LOL! But anyway, back onto the topic of A.P. Indy, I think his daughters are doing very well and are owning the track. It would not suprise me if a racing legend came from one of them.
  • Yes! I too hope his girls burn up the track! Since his last foals are yearlings, I guess he could still sire a Derby winner. I so want him to! The American general public only hears about the Derby winner, it seems! Such a deserving Sire! So worthy of legendary progeny! A filly winner fires up the imagination. I am old enough to remember Genuine Risk! Yikes!
  • A.P. Indy deserves a Derby winner AT LEAST. Though, any sire alive today could be the sire of a TC winner.
  • Double Amen to that! Derby 2012 had sons of two of my favorite sires running...I am screaming (at the television) for Union Rags to, "DO IT FOR DIXIE UNION," and then I am screaming at Calvin Borel to "DO IT FOR INDY!!" Man O War didn't win the Derby, but he had son who won the Triple. If my memory serves me, didn't Genuine Risk place in both the Prk and Belmont? That is juuust about as close as you can come to winning it all. How neat would that be...an Indy filly winning the Derby, and then some. I gusee that is merely Dreaming.....of.....
  • Take Charge Indy is Back!
    Fayette Stakes at Keeneland Results & Video Replay
    Newsdad is winner. Nikki's Sandcastle is 2nd . Take Charge Indy is 3rd
    Fayette S. (gr. 2)
    KEENELAND, Lexington, KY
    Purse: $150,000
    Date: October 27, 2012 Class: Grade 2 Age: 3 yo's & up Race: 9
    Distance: One And One Eighth Miles
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/KEE/2012/10/27/9/fayette-s-gr-2#ixzz2AXUuiZTz
  • Yay Indy! He didn't win, but still a good place after just getting back into the game.
  • Referring to AP Indy's 'pensioned'...what does that mean exactly? I thought it meant no longer being bred, but I get the feeling that maybe that is for commerical breedings, ie if the owner wanted to breed his own mare(s) to him, they could give it a try. Somebody out there in Z land must know.....
    When a stallion is pensioned, they are done breeding. Most stallions are owned by a syndicate, so no one person owns him. Syndicates vary in size but I'd guess the minimum number of shares in a stallion is 40. Each syndicate deal is different, some allow an owner to breed 1 mare(in year X) and 2 mares(in year Y). They also decide how many other seasons they will sell to people who do not have a share. If someone doesn't want to use their breeding they can sell the breeding.

• A.P Indy may not have sired a Derby winner, but he did sire a Belmont winner (Rags to Riches) and a Preakness winner (Bernardini). His son AP Valentine was second in both the Preakness and the Belmont in 2001, which isn't too shabby.

I have three Dobermans, BTW. Currently I have a black male named Ben, a black female named Eve, and an albino male named Daniel. Dobes are great dogs! (FYI, in North America, brown dogs are "red" not "chocolate.") My first and second Dobes, Spike and Shelley, were both red.