A.P. Indy

Comments

• grandstand, that's a great piece on Royal Delta. A good mention of the great Lyphard. Royal Delta has a royal pedigree for sure!
  • Stratford Hill is a son of AP Indy, he has been retired to stud in Ocala Florida. here is a pic of him cuz i think he looks like Rags to Riches, who is also by AP Indy:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5641907377_9d9f5cdaae.jpg
  • Take Charge Indy on Track for Donn Handicap
    By Blood-Horse Staff Updated: Friday, December 21, 2012 1:39 PM
    Chuck and Maribeth Sandford's Take Charge Indy , winner of the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) in March, breezed three furlongs in :36 4/5 at Palm Meadows Dec. 21 in his first workout since finishing a game second in the Clark Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs Nov. 23.
    "He's right on schedule," said trainer Patrick Byrne, who plans for the A.P. Indy colt to make his first start of 2013 in the $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. I), a 1 1/8-mile test at Gulfstream Park Feb. 9. "He went real well and we'll come back and work again in eight or nine days."
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/75169/take-charge-indy-on-track-for-donn-handicap#ixzz2FibK0pqb
  • Woodford Stallions LLC‏ tweet & Photo
    A.P. WARRIOR (A.P. Indy x Warrior Queen by Quiet American)
    Congrats Siete de Oros & conex on a "game" run n Gr2 Jerome

• KetaKeta Member
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A P INDY!!
    A.P. Indy ‏tweet
    24 years young today.
  • Here is the article in "Blood Horse" from 2012 on the pensioning of AP Indy:

Two-time leading North American sire A.P. Indy has been pensioned at Mr. and Mrs. William S. Farish’s Lane’s End Farm near Versailles, Ky., after none of the mares bred to him this year have been pronounced in foal.

Bill Farish said the 22-year-old son of Seattle Slew had been unable to impregnate any of the more than 25 mares bred to him during the 2011 breeding season. He said all syndicate members have been notified of the decision.

“We had some vets in last week trying to look for some magic answer, but he is 22 years old,” Farish said April 8. “He’s had a great run. He’s obviously been a great stallion for us.”

A.P. Indy is the second major Lane’s End stallion to be pensioned recently, with the farm announcing last September that Kingmambo would no longer be servicing mares.

“Losing him and Kingmambo in such a short period of time is a tough blow, but both horses had been waning,” Farish said. “They’re tough to replace.”

The farm issued a statement saying the stallion suffered from age-related testicular degeneration disease but is otherwise in good health.

Bred in Kentucky by William S. Farish and W. S. Kilroy, A.P. Indy was foaled at Lane’s End and was sold for $2.9 million, highest priced yearling of 1990. Trained by Neil Drysdale, A.P. Indy initially raced in the colors of Tomonori Tsurumaki. Farish, Kilroy, and Harold Goodman became part owners in A.P. Indy in the middle of 1992.

A.P. Indy was voted Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old male after winning the Belmont Stakes, Breeders’ Cup Classic, and Santa Anita Derby, all grade I races.

“A.P. Indy will remain in the stall he has occupied for almost 20 years” said Will Farish. “I feel blessed to have been the co-breeder, along with my friend Bill Kilroy, of this great horse who was a champion on the track and is proving to be one of the most influential sires of our time. It is our fondest wish that he will live a long and happy retirement.”

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62357/leading-sire-ap-indy-pensioned#ixzz2PF0wmZHm

• KetaKeta Member
    Mr. Besilu Nears Debut
    Novak at the Track The Blood Horse 31 May 2013 12:48 PM
    It has been 991 days since a big bay colt with a smashing white blaze hauled his handler through the ring at Keeneland’s 2010 September yearling sale, hammer falling on the winning $4.2 million bid of Benjamin Leon. You could feel the electricity and then a breath of fresh air, of revitalization, through the entire pavilion. Sold in the midst of a grim downturn in the Thoroughbred market, the son of A.P. Indy brought the most of any yearling purchased in North America since 2006 as the sale saw across-the-board gains
    Excerpt
    First under the care of Todd Pletcher, Mr. Besilu was transferred to Leon's farm near Ocala, Fla., when Leon and Pletcher parted ways at the end of 2011. The colt is now in training with Hall of Fame horseman Bill Mott, who had Mr. Besilu at Payson Park over the winter before moving him up to New York with his Belmont string.
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/novak-at-the-track/archive/2013/05/31/Mr.-Besilu-Nears-Debut.aspx
    Keta Note: Terrific article & history.
    Baby Mr. Besilu looks so much like 13Z. .
  • Agreed: 13Z does look like baby Mr.Besilu!
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    AP Indy and Zenyatta...that would have been quite a match..after looking at 13Z and Mr Besilu
  • I remember fondly back to the days of Dottie's Zen diary. There was quite a debate/discussion with fans 'voting' for their favorite boyfriend pick for Zenny. MANY people wanted AP Indy. I think it was said after the pick of Bernie, that Indy was on the verge of being pensioned and not wanting to risk a 'miss' with breeding for Zenny, the real powers went with this outstanding son of his. A nice pick as time would prove. CoZ is a doll showing much promise. And then we have the little red-head, by an Indy grandson, Tapit. Not only a cutie-patootie, but just beautiful in stature. Seems to be all there in the head department too. His pictures give me goose bumps. He's just lovely.
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    What I like about both of Zenyatta's babies is that they seem to have inherited her disposition and her intelligence and her affection for people. She is, in addition to being a champion on the track, one of those rare horses that have such a personality that draws you to her.

I just cannot imagine that she has ever had a bad day. I had a gelding like that...I lost him a few years back...he never had a bad day...

Z13 is just stunning to look at and I think he is going to stay chestnut.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2013
    I understand that each foal has a different personality partly due to traits from the sire and dam. But since the foal is usually with the mare for several months...how much of it's behavior is influenced by the mare? For example-foals often watch & learn from their mothers on how they react to things, situations and people. Perhaps Zenyatta's positive attitude towards people can be a major factor on how her babies associate with humans...does anyone have opinions/experience on this area?
  • Opinions on a mare's influence on her foals? Oh yeah. I personally think it's huge and is a one reason why I think the mare's importance in breeding has been woefully underrated by the TB industry. But then again, it's been largely a 'boys club' for many many years. Things are changing.....
  • I've noticed lately, our ladies have taken center stage..... I assure you many of our fillies could EASILY beat the boys and THEN some. As our colts have gotten worse... Our fillies have gotten better. And this is ESPECIALLY true for A.P. Indy's fillies... Those fillies are MONSTERS on the track. But I think the future of American horseracing lies on the withers of our girls.
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    The mare most definitely has influence over her foal. It all goes back to instinct. Mares are some of the most awesome mothers in the animal kingdom. I am constantly amazed by how intelligent our horses really are.

I agree with Joanna, the importance of the mare has been grossly underrated not only in the tbreds, but in some other breeds as well.

The National Austrian Lipizzaner Stud puts the fillies through the same training as the stallions that go on to perform even though the mares never perform. They want to know which fillies have the qualities that are needed to continue the breeding program as it has been for centuries before they let the mare enter the breeding program.

And I agree with Ruffian...I think the fillies are the future of tbred racing. Some stallions are broodmare sires..such as Secretariat and then that is passed along to the grandsons and great grandsons like AP Indy who in turn sire great fillies.

Woo Hoo...women's lib has made it to the racetrack!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lane's End Farm
    Weekend news: A Lane's End partnership bred the dam of the Epsom Derby
    winner Ruler of the World (family of A.P. Indy, Lemon Drop Kid, etc.);
    Candy Ride's son Clubhouse Ride took the G2 Californian S. to bring his earnings closer to $1m while a LE sales grad, G1W Liaison, was 2nd;
    another sales grad, Carnival Court, a 1/2 to champion Royal Delta, earned
    TDN "Rising Star" status with her daunting 12 3/4-length maiden win at Belmont!
  • I can't, for the life of me, compare thoroughbred horse-racing to women's lib, no matter how many fillies win on the track. Horse racing, and that includes horse breeding, involves both a stallion and a mare, who contribute equally to the success of a colt or a filly on the track. And if we all didn't believe that, why does everybody have their favorite stallion that we'd like to see Zenyatta hooked up with? To suggest otherwise is to ignore a rich history of American breeding. Don't get me wrong; I am overjoyed when a filly is super successful, i.e., Royal Delta, Goldikova, et al, but I can't help but be equally overjoyed to see a colt do well also. I do think though, that there is a lot of pressure brought to bear on colts today to do really well in their first two years of competitive racing, which may be one reason why they're so fragile. We breed too much for speed and not for stamina. But foals, both colts and fillies, inherit both good and bad from both parents.
  • How Good is Honor Code?
    Laura Pugh Horse Racing Nation Sept 1 2013
    I haven’t been involved in the sport of Thoroughbred racing as long as others have, maybe about a decade, but within that decade there has only been on horse who managed to really excite me from the moment he debuted. That horse was the mighty Curlin. I saw him and fell in love, as did many others. This is not to say I haven’t been a hardcore fan of others, I have been, such as Rachel Alexandra, but before the Kentucky Oaks I wasn’t completely convinced. In a decade of watching races, only Curlin managed to make me giddy with excitement from his maiden. Before and after that time no other horse has come close to demonstrating that “x-factor” quite like him…until yesterday.

It was a boggy day, August 31, the track was literally a soup bowl of mud. It was dark and dank, but a spark from an unexpected race would set the world of racing buzzing. In Saratoga’s third race a colt by the name of Honor Code would run a race that would drop the jaws of even the most seasoned and hardened veterans?
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/DeadHeat/How_Good_is_Honor_Code_123#
  • Sounds like quite the incredible horse! However, I think it too early to put him in such a high caliber race as the Champagne.
  • Keta, how old is Honor Code? Is he a two-year old? that was an impressive race. He surprised them all. Looks like they all said, "what? where'd he come from"? And then they gave up.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Honor Code is 2.... this was his first race ever...
  • Sounds like quite the incredible horse! However, I think it too early to put him in such a high caliber race as the Champagne.
    Why not? If he has the talent, there is no reason for him not to go into a stakes race. It's not like he would be facing seasoned competition--they're all 2-year-olds with limited experience.
  • Really impressive for a first race ever, and I hope he continues his winning ways. But two year olds are still babies, and I haven't seen a two-year old like Secretariat, since-well- Secretariat. But nevertheless, an impressive win. I like him, and look forward to following him.