A.P. Indy

Comments

• Its just the coloring of his hoof, theyre dark lines. Not sure what theyre called exactly.
  • ASHTON- im going to be flying into Louisville on Friday the third(just because southwest doesn't fly into Lexington) and will drive into Lexington that afternoon and will definitely be farm hoping the next five days. would love to coordinate with you . its fun to farm hop with people. last year,i met a couple..also from so cal..that were in town doing the same thing we were and after we ran into each other at several farms, we ended up just goin everywhere together. don't know if you've been there that week before or not but some of the farms have open house for several days and several hours each day. some(like adena springs and 3 chimneys) only had it for a couple hours, one day so we waited till we had a good idea of who was open and when to decide what our itinerary would be.
    im gonna be staying with a friend of mine who also happens to be a volunteer at old friends so we get to go a little deeper into the farm then the regular tours..meaning to the back where the mares are which is fun.
    last year i started working on my non open house farm visits(like claiborne etc) around the 10th of December so im gonna be working it pretty soon
    as it gets closer, we can coordinate and swap some numbers if you'd like
  • A. P. Indy: A Photographic Tribute
    A salute to A.P. Indy.
    The Blood-Horse April 8, 2011 12:00 AM
    A. P. Indy: $2.9 million dollar yearling, Classic Winner, 1992 Horse of the Year,
    Leading Sire
    Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/APIndy/a-p-indy-a-photographic-tribute
    This has an outstanding collection of photos of A.P.Indy and his progeny.
  • Keta, thanks for the link to Indy's photos. What a guy he is. His legacy is still being written. Such a neat horse!
  • I probably already knew this, but here it is spelled out and pictured clearly: A.P. Indy is Coz's grandsire and Z13's great-grand-sire. I never saw him run. What does the A.P. stand for?
  • I found an article from the LA Times dated December 23, 1991 and it mentioned that A.P. Indy's trainer Neil Drysdale wasn't sure what the horse's name means.
  • Lol we shall never know
  • In the education world it stands for Advanced Placement. Why not for the horse? lol
  • We can make up our own meanings.

How about Always Perfect?
  • A.P. Indy is also a term in car racing.
  • Found this comment following an article on API. Here's the quote:

"the A. P. stands for Allen Paulsen, under whose colors Indy raced. You've seen them on many great horses, including the one and only Cigar. Red White and Blue, with the stylized "AP" on the back.

the Indy part I kind of have to guess at, for I don't recall conclusively. I believe it had to do with either the INDY 500 or a Navigational point of call used by airmen. Paulsen came by his wealth by developing airplanes - Gulfstream, I believe - and he would name his horses after these navigation points around the world. Cigar was one such point."

• Interesting
  • Found this comment following an article on API. Here's the quote:

"the A. P. stands for Allen Paulsen, under whose colors Indy raced. You've seen them on many great horses, including the one and only Cigar. Red White and Blue, with the stylized "AP" on the back.

the Indy part I kind of have to guess at, for I don't recall conclusively. I believe it had to do with either the INDY 500 or a Navigational point of call used by airmen. Paulsen came by his wealth by developing airplanes - Gulfstream, I believe - and he would name his horses after these navigation points around the world. Cigar was one such point."

points around the world. Cigar was one such point."

I was told by a friend that he was named after Allen Paulson too, but he was owned by Tomonori Tsurumaki when he ran his first race. He paid $2.9 million for him as a yearling. However, I did find an article about A.P. Indy's win in the Belmont, that Tsurumaki owns "Auto Polis, which is a Japanese leisure center with a Formula I track as its centerpiece, thus the name A.P. Indy."

http://articles.philly.com/1992-06-08/sports/26031793_1_triple-crown-races-crack-injury-juanita-delahoussaye
  • AP Indy ran under the colors of his owner Tomonori Tsurumaki, a wealthy Japanese real estate developer and investment banker. In 1990, he purchased him for $2.9M and named him after an international racing circuit (Autopolis International- AP Indy) he owned near Kamitsue Village in Oita Prefecture, Japan. In 1992, when finding himself in dire financial straits and needing quick cash; He sold A P Indy back to William Farish for an undisclosed amount, with the condition the horse would finish out his racing career in Tsurumaki's colors, which he did.

Alan Paulson never owned AP Indy, even tho many thought so because of the AP initials.
  • Sounds very credible that API was named after Auto Polis. Makes sense.
  • Hah! I was right!
  • I'd have guessed Associated Press Indy, lol.
  • "Awesome Performer" Indy..just sayin
  • Doreen...you are correct about AP Indy's name. Paulsen had nothing to do with him.
  • I can't remember, is AP Indy still alive? If so where is he? Can't we ask his people? I think it's kind of fun to make up our own words. I like Kurt's Awesome Performer.
  • he is still alive, hes 24 and resides at Lanes End
  • I believe Indy was pensioned in 2011, hence has a few 2yo (now almost 3) out there. HRTV had a wonderful 1/2 hour special about him; the Farrish men (Lanes End) get very emotional about Indy and rightly so.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2013
    Oh, I'm glad to hear he is "still with us" and is at Lane's End. That picture is hilarious. Wonder what he was thinking. It looks like it was, "Bleah! Who peed on this grass?"

Someone ought to ask Lane's End what the AP stands for.
  • also, here is a September photo of Indy doing his Zenyatta impression

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1234411_573462542702612_800015786_n.jpg