Union Rags

His owner sold him only to buy him back for three times what she was paid. She sent a person to the sale and said I don't care how much I want my horse back. I would like to see Union Rags win today, would be a dream come true for Mrs. Wyeth. She is a fine lady. He is a magnificent horse.

Comments

• My opinion, he will be over bet. He was the heavy favorite in the BC Juvinile and lost by a nose to Hansen. He was heavy, heavy favorite in Florida Derby and lost. If you like, him, you'll get 4-1 today at least, from a betting perspective, I'm passing. Good luck and prove me wrong!
  • RachelRachel Member
    This discussion should be in the Kentucky Derby discussion. im thinking Take Charge Indy with calvin on the rail if he can get there. but i heard talk that the rail horses are hard to pass lately
  • I really liked "Take Charge Indy" not only was he beautiful but he had some of the most blue-blooded bloodlines in the world. I really wish he'd have won though I am grateful that such a doubted horse as "I'll Have Another" won....He needs some time in the spotlight. But I really like Take Charge Indy....He's a good horse. If I could I'd own him myself and make him my dressage mount.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Oh he would make a fine dressage mover with that neck bowed the way he did while training
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited May 2012
    Surgery soon for TCI..hope he recovers well
  • candicandi Member
    well, I'll have another won the derby,proven cannot predict the winner.except the Queen,I always have confidence she will win 1OO%.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Union rags isnt done yet. ill be disappointed if he doesnt go to the preakness. he made up ground amazingly just was too far back to get on the board. i was right when i said he would get trouble but he handled it really well seeing as he was still game
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• When UNION RAGS was finally clear to run it was to late, Back at least 7 lengths from the lead It wasn't his day. Things happen that a jockey can't help no matter how good the horse is. Union never had a chance to run a good, fair race. I like the horse, he has great potential and look forward to seeing him run at Belmont Many owners spend $$$$$$ and never get to the Ky Derby. I feel bad for Mrs. Wyeth.
  • TAke Charge Indy has a chip in ankel and will be out several months Interesting!!!!!!
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Think Union Rags needs another jock!!! He seems to be getting in trouble an awful lot. Wish Johnny V or Mike Smith could ride him.
  • Leparoux is a Excellent Jockey!!!!! Union Rages had the four out of the gate got bottled in, too many horses in the way. Jockey can only do so much. Must be aware of other horses, horse they are on, etc The jocks are professional in every way (IF they were not, many more horses would come up lame or hurt during a race) Mike Smith would have done no better under the circumstances.
  • But this is the second time in a row that Julien has had him in big trouble and both times he lost. This is the way jocks lose mounts. It was a horrible ride.
    Leparoux is a Excellent Jockey!!!!! Union Rages had the four out of the gate got bottled in, too many horses in the way. Jockey can only do so much. Must be aware of other horses, horse they are on, etc The jocks are professional in every way (IF they were not, many more horses would come up lame or hurt during a race) Mike Smith would have done no better under the circumstances.
  • mucker4evamucker4eva Member
    edited May 2012
    Union Rags gave a better run than Hansen.
    Hansen was in perfect position,he just could not give the effort. Hansen was outrun.

Union Rags gave a much better effort w/ the poor out of gate start.
    To come back like he did....good job. Horse and jockey.

Hansen was as nervous as the Dr. was!!!!Give em both a chill pill.

Union Rags, you gave it your all buddy. If it had been the Belmont....he might have gotten it or been in the show. He'll take care of business soon. He will.
  • KetaKeta Member
    HRTV‏@HRTVHOST tweeted Sunday May 6
    Byrne said "excellent prognosis" for Take Charge Indy
    who will have arthoscopic surgery this week to remove ankle chip.
    Pat hopes to make BC.
  • THANK YOU MUCKER4EVA!!!!!!! Hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!

Preakness is in two weeks (I always though should be 3) Then to Belmont in 3 weeks which is 1 1/2 mile I think (3) big races close together is too much to ask of the (3) year olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have not had a triple in 35 plus years

Interesting to see what Matz will do!!! Zenyatta had same jockey, makes a difference and please don't someone out there say -- first couple races was different jock HOrse and Jock get to know each other, etc My German Shepherd needs me GTG
  • KetaKeta Member
    Michael Matz on the Union Rags Ride
    Michael Matz, who also trains at Fair Hill, had not decided whether he’d bring Union Rags to Pimlico. The second choice on the morning line once again had a bad trip and failed to challenge, finishing seventh thanks to a late rally past fading speed.
    “My first inclination would be no,” he said, but the decision won’t be final until later this week.
    When asked what happened to his horse, Matz, clearly distressed, was blunt.
    “A lot. Your guess is as good as mine,” he said. “[Jockey]Julien [Leparoux] just said he got slammed out of the gate. Didn’t break fast. He had trouble everywhere around.
    “I don’t mind getting beat, if you get to run.”
    It would be surprising if Leparoux, who also had trouble giving Union Rags a chance in the Florida Derby, kept the mount.
    Keta Note: This is an excerpt from
    I’ll Have Another scheduled to arrive at Pimlico on Monday afternoon
    By Chris Korman The Baltimore Sun
  • I was rooting for TCI all the way. Know he's going to be ok after his surgery. but Union Rags - he's a great horse too. Every one of those wonderful horses ran his heart out Saturday. The Derby is a lot for a three-year old to take in. A lot of excitement, and people, and hoopla. Sometimes I think its more about the hats than the horses.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I was looking at scenes from the Kentucky derby. Pictures of the hats and outfits and twin spires. Then it showed the infield things. There was a drinking game called Kentucky chugging derby or something. U gotta drink one mint Julip for every 1 furlong. There was 10 furlongs. U stop on a certain spot that says something I don't remember but one spot said "glue factory". The nerve....
  • Wonder what is going on with UNION RAGS!!!!!!!!!! Last I heard horse was laying down a lot. Unusal!!!!!! Horses spend more time on feet then down!!!!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Done Talking sleeps allllll the time except when he excersises eats and drinks. hes always sleeping
  • RachelRachel Member
    Wonder what is going on with UNION RAGS!!!!!!!!!! Last I heard horse was laying down a lot. Unusal!!!!!! Horses spend more time on feet then down!!!!
    where are u getting your info, i found nothing on Union Rags that says hes acting strange. last i heard he ate up well and was bright and alert, that was according to Matz

• Union Rags is a beauty. And talented too. Glad to hear he's alright.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Union Rags to Skip Preakness
    By Esther Marr, The Blood-Horse
    Updated: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:44 PM
    Trainer Michael Matz and owner/breeder Phyllis Wyeth made an executive decision May 9 that they would forego the May 19 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course with Union Rags.
    “It’s a long year and I just don’t think it’s necessary to bring him back in two weeks if he doesn’t have a chance at the Triple Crown,” Matz told The Blood-Horse May 9.
    Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69641/union-rags-to-skip-preakness#ixzz1uPTkxs45

• The user and all related content has been deleted.