Union Rags

Comments

• I'm kind of glad. The triple crown series is a lot for a three-year old. Good for Mrs. Wyeth and Michael Matz.
  • Mike Matz knows his job and HE will not let a horse run that is not sound. The rest will be good for Union Rags Many important races coming up not just Preakness, Belmont. I hope Union Rages does well this year. Yes a dispointment in the KY Derby but that part of the business. IMPORTANT that Union is OK for next race!!!!!!!!
    Triple is TOO much for a horse WHY do you think have not had one in over 35 years. Run too close together!!!!!!!
  • cigarcigar Member
    I kind of think there have been no Triple winners because today's horses can't handle it. BUT, you are right, the welfare of the horse comes first, or should. I too hope Union Rags does well, and am sure he will. Great story about the owner buying him back.
  • HORSES CAN'T DO 3 RACES TODAY SO CLOSE!!!! MANY HORSE ARE NOT SOUND GOING INTO A RACE STUPID THE ATTITUDE I MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE (MANY GOOD TRAINERS AND MANY BAD) I COULD GO ON AND ON WOULD SERVE NO PURPOSE I CAN'T CHANGE THE SYSTEM
  • But this is the second time in a row that Julien has had him in big trouble and both times he lost. This is the way jocks lose mounts. It was a horrible ride.
    I agree, I'll be very surprised if Leparoux still has the mount on Union Rags...
    In my opinion, Rags and Julien did have a lot of bad luck; late out of the gate and then getting squeezed between Borel and Desormeaux. Rags was shuffled back quickly and was out of the race by the time they passed the stands for the first time.
    I'm not going to blame Leparoux for the loss, he is a good jockey. I do however think he doesn't fit well with Union Rags.

I'm in two minds about not going to the Preakness with Union Rags. On the one hand, I understand that with the Triple Crown out for him, it makes sense not to run him again so soon.
    On the other hand, this is the second time he lost in this way. In his last two races Union Rags never got clear running room until it was too late. In the Derby he also got a lot of dirt in his face from being so far back. Horses can get frustrated, lose the will to run and be ruined (for racing that is) that way.
    I still believe Union Rags is an amazing horse and it would be an aweful shame if he has been affected by his last two races. But I'm not a trainer and maybe resting a horse is the best thing, even if there is a chance he has been affected by his losses. Maybe it's even more important to choose your race carefully in this case.

I hope to see him back on the track in the future and winning races again. I've been a fan since his second race when he broke his maiden and I'll always be cheering him on.
  • TRAINER & JOCKEY Have to discuss problem and trainer has to make a decision. Constant changing of jockeys is not good for some horses. Zenyatta had Mike, she knew him and he knew how to ride her, not saying she wouldn't have won with another jockey.

I also have watched Union from the start and think he has a lot in him as a champion, I am a big fan and will stay so!!!!!!!!!

Hard for me to judge a Horrible Ride on Derby Day, I was not sitting on the horse and having to deal with situation at hand. The old saying until I am in someones shoes I really don't know what I would DO. Julien did the best he could HE wanted a WIN like everyone!!!!!!!!! He was not riding to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RachelRachel Member
    NBC didnt cover the race angles like ESPN did. they never said anything about how well union rags made up ground even with a bad trip. during the overhead cam angle that was focusing on bodemeister and ill have another i could see union rags. he was checked he weaved thru horses and was wide on the turn and still made up ground to get seventh. I could see his stride lengthen and him speed up, hes got a great stride. i would of loved to see it at a ground level angle. people complained about all the angles shown on ESPN coverage, i thought they were great compared to this years. if i were his trainer i wouldnt be disappointed too much. ill be jumping for joy he wasnt one of the horses to finish last and out of it. i too hope that he wasnt mentally troubled with that race
  • mucker4evamucker4eva Member
    edited May 2012
    Get a copy of the Sports Illustrated.
    The full spread photo will show exactly where UR started,how gritty he is and what he had to overcome.Talk about having to make something out of nothing.

Golly, I was a fan of his before the Derby. Now I really admire this horse!!!!!
    He has TRUE GRIT. Get some R and R big guy.

Hay, oats,water and R&R,that's old school horse racing!!!! Do it Matz.Love him.
  • edited May 2012
    NBC didnt cover the race angles like ESPN did. they never said anything about how well union rags made up ground even with a bad trip. during the overhead cam angle that was focusing on bodemeister and ill have another i could see union rags. he was checked he weaved thru horses and was wide on the turn and still made up ground to get seventh. I could see his stride lengthen and him speed up, hes got a great stride. i would of loved to see it at a ground level angle. people complained about all the angles shown on ESPN coverage, i thought they were great compared to this years. if i were his trainer i wouldnt be disappointed too much. ill be jumping for joy he wasnt one of the horses to finish last and out of it. i too hope that he wasnt mentally troubled with that race
    I watched the race live online (on my betting website) and only got one angle for all the races at Churchill.
    I watched the replay later online and I was also amazed at the amount of ground Union Rags made up when he was finally able to stretch out.
    It's a shame he was boxed in for so long, I feel (with the way he was acting and training) he was getting ready for a big effort. And that's why I understand his trainer was disappointed, he knew Rags was capable of so much more...

Here's a photo of Union Rags getting some well-deserved rest at Fair Hill;

• RachelRachel Member
    Aww I love that. He's at peace. Just relaxing and the flowers around him. That's a pretty picture. He looks good
  • candicandi Member
    from kentucky derby,to preakness and belmont the horse is very much excousted to run again. the schesule are too close, they worn out they need to change the rules and regulation,or policy or the guidelines or the law of the thorougbreed organization.
  • ConnieOConnieO Member
    I do not want them to change the spacing of the Triple Crown Races...I think that would not be fair to all the horses who did win it. If I remember correctly, from my youth, the Belmont used to be four weeks, not three, from the Preakness.for the longest race these three year olds will probably run in their lives, they do need that extra time. I do agree, tho, that the horses of today, are not the same as those Triple Crown winners of before. Those winners also, often ran into their fourth or fith year of racing. I also think that a field of 20 horses, is way too many for the Derby. Way too crowded, for even the best horses to perform at their best,and get a clean ride.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    ConnieO, I agree with you. Don't change the timing of the Triple Crown Races. Improve the breed. If the present day horses can't measure up to Seattle Slew, Affirmed and others too bad. You are also correct in their being too many horses in the Derby. I am afraid that some year there is going to be a terrible accident.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Correction: There being too many horses. Get happy fingers and senior brain freeze sometimes.
  • UNION RAGS should win the Breeders Cup Classic <3
  • RachelRachel Member
    If he gets a jockey change and a good trip. Those are his only problems
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    From what is on the Bloodhorse, Union Rags is still being treated for cuts he sustained in the Derby. Thank goodness he has a great owner and trainer who aren't pushing him into the Preakness no matter what his condition.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Wheres the article on bloodhorse? im on that site every day of every hour and i havent seen anything on union rags thats said that. his owner said he came out fine and ate up well with energy still. thats all ive seen. can u post it please?
  • Rachel, the article Shirlee mentioned is Steve Haskin's blog about Sagamore :
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/05/16/haskin-s-preakness-report-a-walk-through-history.aspx
    He visited Sagamore and also went to Fair Hill to see Graham Motion and Michael Matz to check on their horses. Of course, it is another wonderful Steve Haskin blog!!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Oh i was just reading that 2 hrs ago lol. i didnt get to finish cuz had to go to work. ill read it now to see what i missed on union rags. sad it wasnt mentioned :/
  • RachelRachel Member
    He must of gotten the cuts when he was in traffic
  • Hang in there Rachel I read the same article about UNION RAGS He Got cuts during the race and ten days later still requires attention That is why he is not in the Preakness Hope he will be OK for Belmont I Love the Horse !!!!!!!
  • Haskins Preakness Report was interesting Native Dancer Barn, Tack box what was there so long ago for the horse!!!! Dancer won 9/9 as 2 yr old and 21/22 as 3 year old Lived 27 years Beautiful horse
  • Trainer and owner might make a jockey change for Union Waiting for the Preakness to run!!!!!to decide!!!!!!!