Union Rags

Comments

• My baseball team got swept, the Celtics lost, but Union Rags came through for me. Congratulations to Michael Matz, Phyllis Wyeth, and all of his connections. I look forward to seeing him run in the future.
    @Cigar
    Phillies fan?
    Worse, Rockies. Terrible season.
    ====================

I'm following two teams this year; they were both the winners of those "sweeps." The Dodgers swept the Phillies and the Angels swept the Rockies. So one person's disappointment is another person's hurrah. Baseball is such a great metaphor for life. We can all agree, however, that Union Rags ran a good race.
  • @VA_in_CA
    You are right about baseball being a great metaphor for life. Lots of ups & downs. Just happy the the Phillies didn't blow it last night. Hopefully we can get another win tonight.
  • @VA_in_CA
    You are right about baseball being a great metaphor for life. Lots of ups & downs. Just happy the the Phillies didn't blow it last night. Hopefully we can get another win tonight.
    Hi KellyM444,

I always liked the Phillies and can't understand why they have fared so badly in the post-season these last few years. I guess that's part of the "metaphor." Sometimes the best team doesn't win. Sometimes the best horse doesn't win: we need look no further than the 2010 Breeder's Cup Classic to know that's true. Sometimes life doesn't go the way one would expect either. With 66 semester hours of postgraduate study and a lifetime teaching credential, I never expected to end up on food stamps! P. S. I've had a tense time the past few days because the Angels and Dodgers were playing each other.

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    hi guys...just want dodgers to lose..hubby is giants fan...as for me ..there is no hope...
    Go Cubs
  • I just discovered TrueNicks and am going CRAZY with it! I nicked Flower Alley and Rachel Alexandra and got an A++ on the breeding! I wonder if Union Rags would be a good match for Zenny or RA?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    try Zenny with Hat Trick and Lonhro...
  • Zenny and Hat Trick got an A+.....Lonhro and Zenny got a B....Just found out Hansen is now an option =O
  • RachelRachel Member
    what do u mean hansen is now an option?
  • what do u mean hansen is now an option?
    They didn't have him in the stallion options and then as I was scanning through it I saw his name in there =O
  • RachelRachel Member
    oh lol
  • hi guys...just want dodgers to lose..hubby is giants fan...as for me ..there is no hope...
    Go Cubs
    Hey carolinutah, tell your husband not to be greedy for Dodger losses. They lost last year, and the year before, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, I have disliked the Giants since they were in New York. But I can appreciate some of their players, like their pitchers and Buster Posey.

• KetaKeta Member
    Mike Smith blames himself as well he should. He blew it. But Rags won fair and square. Good on him!
    Paynter threw shoe in Belmont
    The Bloodhorse Updated: June 12, 2012, 12:57 PM ET
    Trainer Bob Baffert, who is making plans to return Paynter to New York this summer, said his valiant Belmont Stakes runner-up lost a shoe during the June 9 race at Belmont Park.
    Baffert, speaking a day after the race, said the swift son of Awesome Again out of the Cee's Tizzy mare Tizso sustained a nick on his left hind, but otherwise came out of the race in good shape. Paynter is scheduled to return to Southern California June 11.
    "He lost his left hind shoe in the race," he said. "I don't know when it happened, but it must have been near the end."
    Baffert added: "He'll go back home, freshen up, and we'll look to bring him back somewhere on the East coast. Maybe the Jim Dandy [July 28] -- we're shooting for the Travers with him. We have [Derby and Preakness runner-up] Bodemeister for the Haskell."
    Baffert said he emerged from the race in fairly good shape. "Second is still sinking in," he said.
    Paynter, who ran fourth behind I'll Have Another in the Santa Anita Derby in just his second start, dictated the pace throughout the Belmont but gave way to Union Rags in the final couple of strides to finish second. The bay colt is owned by Ahmed Zayat, who also owns Bodemeister.
    "Is there a Triple Crown for seconds? I need a Triple Crown for seconds," quipped Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert after the race.
    "He was doing so well. I just feel bad for Mr. Zayat. The poor guy, he's been tortured on this Triple Crown. Turning for home, I knew we had the horse to do it and that horse snuck up on him there. He's still a young horse, still learning how to run. It's over. When you get beat, you get beat."
    Paynter was also second in The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial and was coming off a front-running romp in an allowance race on the Preakness Stakes program at Pimlico Racecourse. In the Belmont, he finished 1 3/4 lengths clear of the show horse Atigun.
    Jockey Mike Smith took responsibility for Paynter's defeat, saying he should have not allowed Union Rags to exploit an opening at the rail in deep stretch.
    "[Smith] will probably take a lot of heat for that," Baffert added. "It's a jockey thing. He didn't want to give up the rail. But you know what, he did a tremendous job. The outside horse had (Union Rags) trapped. Johnny [Velazquez], you have to give him credit. He was patient and he just waited. He knew sometimes that happens in these big races."
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2012/story/_/id/8042345/paynter-threw-shoe-belmont

• BLOODHORSE AND DAILY RACNG FORM HAVE THE BEST ARTICLES!!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jockey Velazquez Breaks Collarbone in Spill
    by Claire Novak The Blood-Horse
    Last Updated: 6/17/2012 2:09:12 PM
    Jockey John Velazquez broke his right collarbone and will require surgery, Churchill Downs officials confirmed June 16, after the 40-year-old rider was injured in a three-horse spill during the ninth race at the Louisville oval.
    Velazquez was also undergoing a precautionary CT scan on his back at Audubon Hospital in Louisville and hoped the collarbone could be stabilized enough for the surgery to be performed in New York, officials said.
    The jockey was thrown from the Graham Motion-trained Mr. Producer when that 4-year-old son of Dehere broke down in mid-stretch in the 1 1/16-mile maiden event for 3-year-olds and upward. The colt, making his third start for Albert Frassetto and Norton Herrick, fell into Smart Farda under jockey Manoel Cruz, who was also thrown.
    Velazquez was finally kicked by Nancy Canning’s Lemansky, ridden by John McKee. McKee fell from the saddle but his horse did not go down. Both McKee and Cruz walked off the track following the incident. Velazquez was taken from the oval via stretcher by paramedics. Cruz retained his mount in the 10th race on the card, but McKee took off his in the 11th.
    Mr. Producer was euthanized. Information regarding the condition of the other horses involved was not immediately available.
    Velazquez, who won the June 9 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) aboard Union Rags, is slated to be inducted into horse racing's Hall of Fame in August in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/8063122/john-velazquez-breaks-collarbone-churchill-downs-spill
  • MaxMax Member
    Very bad day for Johnny V only a week after that great win at Belmont. Get well soon, Uncle Johnny.
  • Bloodhorse says he might have kidney injuries also.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Velazquez released from hospital, to meet with New York doctors
    Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:44 PM
    Jockey John Velazquez, who was injured in a three-horse spill Saturday night at Churchill Downs, has been released from Norton Audubon Hospital in Louisville and will now meet with New York doctors regarding his recovery.
    Velazquez returned to his home in New York on Tuesday and was scheduled to meet with doctors at the Hospital for the Special Surgery in New York City regarding his collarbone, which is expected to require surgery. Doctors estimated that the kidney would heal on its own over the next two weeks.
    No timetable has yet been established for Velazquez's return to riding.
    "Many thanks to Heather Craig, assistant to Graham Motion, who was there the entire time with Johnny after the spill. We would also like to express our sincere appreciation and special thanks to all family members, friends and fans for all of the well-wishes, calls, texts, and visits during this time."
    Velazquez has ridden three classic winners—most recently Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes (G1) on June 9—and will be inducted in the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame this August.
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/06/19/velazquez-released-from-hospital.aspx
  • MaxMax Member
    Keta. Glad to see that Johnny V is out of hospital. He was supposed to race this weekend at Woodbine for the Queen's Plate, but cannot do that now. He will be missed. Get well soon, Uncle Johnny.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KetaKeta Member
    This has been tweeted by several people:
    Sounds like Union Rags is coming to the Haskell for a showdown with Bodemeister.
    Matz all but committed.
    Should be great race.
  • When is the Haskell? Wonder who will ride Rags. Don't know if Johnny V will be back in time. Sure hope so as he gave a great ride in the Belmont.
  • http://www.monmouthpark.com/News.aspx?id=6156

I'm going. I really really want to see UR. I'm packing now and going to MD and from there over. Come on RAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Haskell Invitational Highlights Monmouth Meet
    By Blood-Horse Staff Updated: Friday, April 6, 2012 2:26 PM

Led by the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) July 29, Monmouth Park
    Monmouth Park will offer a stakes schedule worth $6 million including 17 graded events for the 2012 racing season.
    Among the notable changes to the calendar are the return of the Eatontown Stakes (gr. IIIT) June 30, the Red Bank Stakes (gr. IIIT) July 4, and the Monmouth Cup (gr. II) July 7. Another significant change is the placement of the Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. II), which now will be run on Haskell Day.
    In addition to the Molly Pitcher, Haskell Day will also feature two other graded events (Oceanport Stakes and the Taylor Made Matchmaker Stakes, both grade III turf events), as well as three $100,000 stakes races.
    Last year’s Haskell attracted Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Shackleford and Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Ruler On Ice. The winner, however, was Coil, owned by Karl Watson, Mike Pegram, and Paul Weitman and trained by Bob Baffert. Shackleford, the 3-2 favorite, finished second and Ruler On Ice third.
    Getting an upgrade for the 2012 meet is the $200,000 Monmouth Stakes (gr. IIT) June 10, which will serve once again as a prep race for the $500,000 United Nations Stakes (gr. IT) July 7.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68652/haskell-invitational-highlights-monmouth-meet#ixzz1ypFfdz9a

• KetaKeta Member

Hansen Update
    Up the Backstretch: Iowa Derby attracts champion colt
    Published: June 26, 2012 Updated 7 hours ago
    By Don Agriss, Sports Network
    When post positions are drawn Wednesday for Saturday's $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows, one name will dominate like no other in the history of the event.
    The stakes race for 3-year-olds will have its first Eclipse Award-winning runner with the entry of 2011 champion 2-year-old colt Hansen.
    Hansen, trained by Mike Maker, will be making his first start in the 1 1/16- mile Iowa Derby since finishing ninth in last month's Kentucky Derby. The colt, who stands out with his almost all white coat, was 13-1 in the 20-horse field for the Run for the Roses. Ridden by Ramon Dominguez, Hansen got a good start, but then found some tough going.
    "When he got smacked so bad on his back heels, he got rank and fought Ramon," co-owner and namesake Dr. Kendall Hansen said. "Whether we could have been top three, I don't know, but I know we could have been top five if that didn't happen. I'm really happy with how he's relaxed around the track now. He's maybe changed a bit since the Derby."
    The shorter distance of the Iowa Derby should be a benefit for last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile champ. Hansen won the Juvenile at 1 1/16 miles and loved the one-mile Gotham Stakes, winning by three lengths over My Adonis.
    "When he ran his best race in the Gotham, he relaxed," Hansen said.
    Until the Kentucky Derby, Hansen had never been worse than second in any of his first six career starts. He swept all three races as a 2-year-old and was runner-up to Algorithms in the Holy Bull Stakes to begin his 2012 campaign. He prepped for the Run for the Roses with a second to Dullahan in the Blue Grass Stakes.
    "I'm used to trainers exaggerating and being overly optimistic," Hansen said. "This trainer (Maker) doesn't talk a lot. One day, he said, 'Kendall, this horse is an absolute superstar.' From him, that was something. Mike saw his crazy speed from the beginning and how he would do anything he asked him to."
    With the retirement of Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I'll Have Another, this year's 3-year-old division title is still available for any horse that can step up and reel off some wins.
    Last year's Iowa Derby champ, Prayer for Relief, followed with wins in the West Virginia Derby and the Super Derby. Dr. Hansen and Mike Maker have the first of those two stakes on their colt's schedule.
    "I'm hoping after the Travers (Aug. 25 at Saratoga) that we can say we have the best horse," Hansen said. "That's the goal, to get the title again. We won it last year; we'd like to win it this year."
    The Travers could be a reunion of sorts if Union Rags starts instead of going in the Haskell (July 29 at Monmouth Park). It was Union Rags who was favored in the 2011 Juvenile, when Hansen went wire-to-wire to defeat the 11-10 favorite by a head.
    Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/06/26/4092669/up-the-backstretch-iowa-derby.html#storylink=cpy

• Word is that Union Rags has a tendon injury and will be out for the remainder of 2012.