Tasty Temptation and Her Foal

I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about the Tasty Temptations' progress in her pregnancy...As I understand it she should have been due at the same time Zenny was. LE tells everyone that there's no need for concern and that she is okay.....But I must admit I'm still curious about the well-being of Zenyatta's best friend, I would like other peoples' opinions on the matter.

Comments

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Mares can carry their foals on average 340 days +/- 30 days on each end... :0. (ok, 9.5 months was plenty long, thankyouverymuch!) So, for whatever reason, Tasty's baby is not ready to make his/her appearance yet
  • Mares can carry their foals on average 340 days +/- 30 days on each end... :0. (ok, 9.5 months was plenty long, thankyouverymuch!) So, for whatever reason, Tasty's baby is not ready to make his/her appearance yet
    Boy, by the time it's ready to come, it'll be huge?
  • I was disappointed to learn that Tasty's foal will be too young to be brought into the same paddock with Z and 12Z, that it's for the safety of the foals that strict guidelines are followed. So, I would guess the mares that foaled on the same day as Zenny, or ones the day before and day after, might be new candidates for buddies of Zenyatta. Will be looking forward to finding out who Z's new BFF will be.
  • Ah, that is true.....I still find it suspicious that everyone involved with her is neglecting too reveal any information. Though there's always the possiblility that there is no information to reveal in the first place....
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    they actually posted that as of today, she still hadn't foaled. I don't think their neglecting to reveal any information. Tasty doesn't belong to the Moss' so they may have to get permission from HER owners to keep us informed... just a thought
  • I believe Tasty is owned by Lane's End, so the website team would have to wait until they get word from the farm before they can post.
  • Good point Casey...I thought since she was turned out with Z that the Mosses owned Tasty as well.
    they actually posted that as of today, she still hadn't foaled. I don't think their neglecting to reveal any information. Tasty doesn't belong to the Moss' so they may have to get permission from HER owners to keep us informed... just a thought
  • Praying for a safe delivery for TT soon!
  • I have a feeling her foal will be delivered either tonight or tomorrow...Probably wrong though....Whatever the case, yes, hopefully her foaling will go just as smoothly as Zenyatta did! ^^
  • It makes my heart alittle sad that Zenny and TT won't be paddock mates. They were such good friends. OMG if I'm alittle sad about this what in the world will I do when it's time for Zen to say goodbye to her baby? I just might have to fall apart AGAIN.......praying for TT and her baby. Nice smooth easy delivery please God :)
  • It makes my heart alittle sad that Zenny and TT won't be paddock mates. They were such good friends. OMG if I'm alittle sad about this what in the world will I do when it's time for Zen to say goodbye to her baby? I just might have to fall apart AGAIN.......praying for TT and her baby. Nice smooth easy delivery please God :)
    I'm sure it'll be like sending him off too college, which will not be easy for poor Zenny to cope with but he's going to be a GREAT racehorse.

• Sorry to hear they can't be in the same paddock. Im sure Baby and Z will make new friends. Like in life new friends are a new blessing
  • MKernMKern Member
    From Lane's End Facebook, she is doing fine and if they have news, they will post. Let us hope and pray she will have nice and easy delivery.
  • I know this is probably a rediculous question but why can't the two foals be in the same paddock? 12Z could be like Tasty's baby's big brother....?
  • I know this is probably a rediculous question but why can't the two foals be in the same paddock? 12Z could be like Tasty's baby's big brother....?
    The farms like to keep foals of the same age together so that they can be weaned together later on. Also, the bigger foals can get too rough with the younger ones. If they are about the same size they can hold their own when the games get too wild.

• ZNotlast1 The foals mature so fast early on with balance, coordination ect that putting a brand new baby in with even a couple of weeks difference is too dangerous for the new one so it is purely for safety reasons.

• The farms like to keep foals of the same age together so that they can be weaned together later on. Also, the bigger foals can get too rough with the younger ones. If they are about the same size they can hold their own when the games get too wild.

Ah, makes sense. It is a crying shame that the two cannot be together, idealy Tasty and Z could continue their friendship while their foals forge a new one.
  • I hope everything is okay. It sure would have been a treat to see the little guys romping in the paddock. We still may. Maybe she will foal and they will only be a couple of weeks apart. Let's just keep our hooves crossed that everything is okay.
  • All we can do for now is wait, hope that Tasty will have a safe delivery, and cheer on the foal when it is born! Speaking of "it" anything on the gender? Rachel and Z had colts...Perhaps a filly?
  • Gestation can be 330-360 days. There is no reason to be concerned.

Another thing to note is that in stage 1 mares can stop labor. If they become alarmed or are uncomfortable in their environment--whatever--they can shut it off. After TT's bag of water breaks there will be no turning back.

I know folks are fretting. Please don't be concerned. LE's has the best of everything on hand at all times. TT has experienced people with her--just like Z does and did on March 8. It's just a matter of time before the little one wants out!
  • While at first its gonna be hard on Z--in the end its the best thing for all. Z will be pregnant most likely. Asking her to feed the 12Z, as well as 13Z and herself is too much. If for some reason 12Z seems small for his age--they may opt to wean later.

I know a lot of people are gonna have questions galore about this. Why so abrupt without warning. Because as hard as it is--its better for all involved. Besides at 5 months of age 12Z is gonna be mature enough to handle life on his own. He'll know about that green stuff that Z eats right now--that he doesn't have the tastebuds for. And he'll learn about grain.

Most importantly for him will be the friends he makes. They'll be out playing and racing each other.

It will be okay.

It makes my heart alittle sad that Zenny and TT won't be paddock mates. They were such good friends. OMG if I'm alittle sad about this what in the world will I do when it's time for Zen to say goodbye to her baby? I just might have to fall apart AGAIN.......praying for TT and her baby. Nice smooth easy delivery please God :)
  • Margaret:

Do you think if Z is pregnant again that will make the separation from Z12 a little easier? They've bonded so well that I think it will be sad for both of them. Hope TT foals soon and safely too. Hugs, JB
  • Whatever the case, I'm sure Zennys' and Tastys' foals will meet on the track...Horses of such calibur would surely compete with one another....As would Rachels' foal.
  • No. The separation will be hard on both Z and Z12. But more or less here is what will happen.

Weaning day is all hands on deck, I don't know where Z12 will live but both will most likely be led there. Z12 will go in the stall and a handler will shut the door to begin the separation. Someone possibly two will QUICKLY lead Z away. There will be calls back and forth to each other. The goal now is to move Z as far from the colt as possible so they can't hear each other or smell each other on the air.

Staff will be on hand to watch all the weanlings being weaned so to make sure no one is hurt. They will probably remove feed and water buckets--not to be mean but so the frantic colt won't get hurt. Soon he'll settle down and want to play with his friends.

Z will call repeatedly. This is the time a soft hearted person probably won't want to be work. It's difficult to hear all the calls. But Z's baby will be making demands on her body for nourishment. Z will also move on fairly quickly.

Some horses act like they never have seen one another and others act like long lost relatives so in this regard--I'm not sure what to make of it.

One thing to remember is Z12 will be 5 months old. Honestly he'll nurse more for comfort than for nourishment. If Z weren't weaned by humans--she would sooner or later be doing it on her own. She would nip, possibly kick Z12 and bite if the colt persists trying to nurse. This way it's a lot easier on all.

Everyone will be fed when they calm down enough to not worry staff about possible injury.
  • Carol from Utah should get her check list and start pacing for Tasty, that should work.
    Smiles