Belmont Stakes 2012

Comments

• He was like "Gottarungottarungottarungottarun! FOOM! Aw man )=
  • mucker4evamucker4eva Member
    edited May 2012
    He was like "Gottarungottarungottarungottarun! FOOM! Aw man )=
    Yep,you can say that again!!!!!! U hit it ReBRuf!!
    Lava and rider did a great job containing him.Wow.

Smart move taking him there. He is feeling the track, all the while building up steam.

• That wasn't Lava....He didn't have the blaze on his face like Lava does. But he still did a great job! Even if he's a sneaker IHA is a bundle of energy!
    edited May 2012
    Opps, I was just so excited to see IHA in top form.Lava was prob hangin by the feed bin.
  • It's okay ^^ I would have made the same mistake if I didn't have attention problems lol. IHA is so solid! There was a little bit there where I was like "He looks as solid as Secretariat!"
  • RachelRachel Member
    Discreet Dancer in my opinion looks like secretariat as a 3 yr old. miss that horse. hope he runs again soon. IHA does look pretty good. i wanted to see him work, i too was disappointed
  • KetaKeta Member
    Steve Andersen DRF tweeted
    Doug O'Neill was suspended 180 days, with 135 days stayed, and fined $15,000 by CHRB on Thursday for 2010 carbon dioxide overage at Del Mar.
  • RachelRachel Member
    While he be able to partake in the belmont? or will this affect him
  • While he be able to partake in the belmont? or will this affect him
    Suspension won't start before July 1, according to Blood Horse.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Oh good. bet that put a damper on things :/
  • KetaKeta Member
    O'Neill Suspended 45 Days in TCO2 Violation
    By Jack Shinar
    Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:21 PM
    Trainer Doug O'Neill has been handed a conditional 45-day suspension and a $15,000 fine as the result of a horse in his care racing in 2010 with an elevated level of total carbon dioxide in his system, a class 3 violation.
    In determining the penalty, the California Horse Racing Board accepted the recommendation of a hearing officer following a seven-day hearing. CHRB Executive Director Kirk Breed will determine when the suspension will begin, but it will occur no sooner than July 1, 2012, according to a statement from the CHRB.
    O'Neill is the trainer of I'll Have Another, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the Preakness Stakes (gr. I). I'll Have Another will attempt to become racing's first Triple Crown winner since 1978 in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 9.
    The CHRB met in a closed session may 24 at Betfair Hollywood Park to consider the recommended decision in the O'Neill case.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/70036/oneill-suspended-45-days-in-tco2-violation#ixzz1vppBJ2GK
  • HeidiKHeidiK Member
    Well, at least he'll be able to continue on the TC trail with his Super Star! Everyone makes mistakes and I think that he's learned from this. Or, at least I hope he has. Once all of this is said and done, you better believe that he'll start getting more and more great horses in his stable! The team has been brilliant with I'll Have Another!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    According to Bloodhorse article he did NOT "milkshake" the horse....the elevation was due to some other reason....poss natural occurrence ....I am going to reread the article because my first impression is...he did nothing wrong but he is still guilty
  • Could someone give me some hard evidence to give me more reason to have hope for what might be the first Triple Crown Winner in my lifetime? I feel enthusiasm for IHA but I am so full of doubt!

Nothing is certain. However:
    1. IHA's Beyers have improved every race.
    2. The competition is bailing--No Bode, and now Creative Cause will not be in the race. Looks like the main competition will be Union Rags and Dullahan. About half the horses in the prospective field have not run in a graded stakes race before.
    3. He's bred for distance, especially on his dam's side. He is conditioned with a view to building endurance.
    4. He has Lava Man to coach him.

So it could actually happen this time.
    Hey, LauraJ! Totally agree with you. The ones so far that are lining up, other than Dullahan and Union Rags, all seem to be mid-level allowance horses. I'm thinking unless Mario falls off or something happens to Little Red, we just may make it this time.
  • RachelRachel Member
    How can you imagine an injury happening to IHA as one of the causes to no triple crown? i know injuries happen but i wouldnt say that. how bout another horse runs him down or something
  • How can you imagine an injury happening to IHA as one of the causes to no triple crown? i know injuries happen but i wouldnt say that. how bout another horse runs him down or something
    I don't think Ann Maree is imagining an injury, necessarily. Shoes come loose, saddles slip, weights fall out of pockets, horses bump and get bumped, and so forth. The point is, if IHA loses, it will probably not be his fault. Of course, Dullahan, Union Rags, or one of the other horses could have a big day. So far though, IHA looks like he really is that good, IMO.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I hope he is
  • According to Bloodhorse article he did NOT "milkshake" the horse....the elevation was due to some other reason....poss natural occurrence ....I am going to reread the article because my first impression is...he did nothing wrong but he is still guilty
    A friend emailed me this yesterday shortly after the O'Neill announcement:
    "I DID just read an article about what can cause elevated tco2 levels in a horse. Among them? Alfalfa, soybean meal, salt and medications for ulcers. Duh. This could have happened to anyone. Article by U of Michigan."

• O'Niel didn't seem like the type of guy that would do such a thing to his horses. I was glad to find out he wasn't doing that....But he DOES need to monitor his horses, even though something like that could have easily happened.
  • I think Rags is going to be the Spoiler- he had just an awful trip in the Derby-but if IHA wins I will be super excited to see a Triple Crown-!!
  • I'm glad to see everyone is having the doubts I previously had lol
  • RachelRachel Member
    We shall see in the next 2 weeks. steelcase is out of belmont
    edited May 2012

Someday.....we gonna have a TC!!!!! Rise up on that wind buddy.

Stay strong,keep on flying IHA!!!!!!!!! Got to believe in something.
    IHA be dancin w/ those lions!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Must read!
    Bill Pressey is a Thoroughbred physiologist.
    He has a Blog titled ThoroEdge
    Bill has written very positively about Doug O’Neill’s training methods.
    He also explains how levels change in horse blood during activity
    1. Bill Pressey at ThoroEdge, on training that led to I’ll Have Another’s wins
    http://thoroedge.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/ill-have-another-2-minute-lick-please/
    2, Derby Champion Trainer:A Tale of Milkshakes & 2 Minute Licks
    http://thoroedge.wordpress.com/
    You'll have to scroll down to find this article--I think it is dated May 14

Well Worth reading!
    Special thanks to Abigail who shared these!
    edited May 2012
    Thanks keta,keeping us up on the best web sites. Thanks to Abigail for sharing!!!