Belmont Stakes 2012

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Very interesting reading ....
  • RuZenRARuZenRA Member
    Could someone give me some hard evidence to give me more reason to have hope for what might be the first Triple Crown Winner in my lifetime? I feel enthusiasm for IHA but I am so full of doubt!

Nothing is certain. However:
    1. IHA's Beyers have improved every race.
    2. The competition is bailing--No Bode, and now Creative Cause will not be in the race. Looks like the main competition will be Union Rags and Dullahan. About half the horses in the prospective field have not run in a graded stakes race before.
    3. He's bred for distance, especially on his dam's side. He is conditioned with a view to building endurance.
    4. He has Lava Man to coach him.

So it could actually happen this time.
    Like she said this horse has a ton of stamina in his family and obviously has a lot of talent and heart to match. It would be the first triple crown i ever saw too! im really excited!!!

• RuZenRARuZenRA Member
    2012 Possible Belmont Stakes Starters

Horse
    Alpha
    Atigun
    Dullahan
    Five Sixteen
    Guyana Star Dweej
    I'll Have Another
    Optimizer
    Paynter
    Street Life
    Union Rags
    Unstoppable U

http://www.belmontstakes.com/racing/contenders.aspx
  • KetaKeta Member
    Workouts Sat. May 26th
    Jerry Bossert NY Daily News tweeted
    Belmont works: Unstoppable U (:59.22), Street Life (:47.82), Atigun (:46.77) at Belmont. Dullahan (1:43) breezing 1M at Churchill
    Churchill Downs PR tweeted
    Dullahan goes at 6:15 am & breezes 1 mile in 1:43 under Tammy Fox. Splits 26, 38.60, 51.40, 1:04.60, 1:17.40. Out 1:57. #BelmontStakes
  • This is really sad, it's almost as if the racing industry is trying their LEGALLY BEST to stop IHA from winning the race......
  • RachelRachel Member
    Because hes from california. crappy excuse.

on a lighter note Rapid Redux is retiring to Old Friends instead of Kentucky Horse Park. yay :D

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/70069/rapid-redux-to-be-pensioned-at-old-friends
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Theyll get over it
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Remember these are the people who are still letting Rick Dutrow run horses in their state! So why be surprised at anything they do.
  • No they won't..... East Coasters are very set in their ways.....If they don't like something, they never will.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Watching tvg right now and a member of the CHRB said that hes excited to have IHA in the triple crown and hope california gets their first triple crown winner. he also commented on O Neills suspension and how it doesnt effect him going into the belmont
  • RachelRachel Member
    Speaking of IHA he galloped over the belmont track today and is still looking good
  • Because hes from california. crappy excuse.
    No they won't..... East Coasters are very set in their ways.....If they don't like something, they never will.
    These are ... well, a little hard to take as accurate.

I don't think anybody... but Californians... care that IHA is currently living there.

And I've lived all over the US, East Coast, West Coat, Pacific NW, Florida and many, many places in between. The sentiment is the same everywhere... "they" don't like "us" because they live somewhere else.

There are rules for everything everywhere and they often differ a great deal. If you're used to one thing, but run into something else, it isn't because someone is out to get you. It's variety. Which is what makes life interesting. A trial at times, but interesting.

• I've lived all accross the country as well, I have to say from ALL the areas of the country I notice that the West Coast hates me the LEAST.
  • Paula1Paula1 Member
    I have read alot on the Doug O'Neill situation. While I do not think he has an unblemished career (he certainly does), I think in this situation he was not guilty of much. The co2 level was .2 over the accepted limit. The report said that they did not think he milkshaked Argenta. I think the timing of this decision was too late and unfortunate. I do think he used to milkshake his horses and the situation with Burna Dette was horrendous, either because of poor judgement or a totally unethical decision. Only he knows which it was. I wish every trainer could be John Shirreffs and we would never be faced with these issues. He ALWAYS puts the horse first. Having said that, I would still like IHA to win for the horse's sake and the sport's sake. As for east-west coast bias, it does exist i.e. eastern sportswriter's treatment of Zenny. But THIS east coast girl is rooting for IHA to win the Belmont just so we can shut those people up who think California horses are inferior.
  • I've lived all accross the country as well, I have to say from ALL the areas of the country I notice that the West Coast hates me the LEAST.
    I know nothing about being hated because of where I live or where I used to live. I've found people to be pretty fair minded all over the country.

There is no way anyone can look at the pedigrees of the colts who have run in the TC races and prelims and distinguish from that which states they are from. They are all closely related. It simply is not an issue for any race fans I know although people ALWAYS think the stuff from home is better than from any other place. Not just race horses. It is perfectly natural. Texas tacos are the best as is Cincinnati chilli and Philly cheesesteak.

And to be fair, several of the articles I've read recently HAVE pointed out there are no NY horses among the top 3 year olds this year. None of them have mentioned an abundance of good CA horses or FL horses or WY or anywhere else.

• You get what you give.
  • L_Q_Q_KL_Q_Q_K Member
    .....weights fall out of pockets
    Weights are no longer used. The have saddle weights that are put under the jockey's saddle. I learned that here:

http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/racing-101/tutorials/2012/racing-101-saddle-weights/

• RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2012
    Wanna know what its like to ride Dullahan? heres a jockey cam of his bc juvenile work where he ranked 6 of 49. u could almost put a full glass of wine on this cam its so smoothe

• .....weights fall out of pockets

Weights are no longer used. The have saddle weights that are put under the jockey's saddle. I learned that here:

http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/racing-101/tutorials/2012/racing-101-saddle-weights/

I was thinking of the 2010 Belmont, wherein Uptowncharlybrown lost a 5-pound weight and was disqualified. The point being, s*** happens.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited May 2012
    On second thought... and following the story all over the news since what, Thursday... there just may BE some California prejudice when it comes to racing in NY.

The leading harness trainer in NY/NJ the last few years, Lou Pena, who is California based has been suspended indefinitely. This is the result of an off track investigation from Jan 2010 through Apr 2012 (over two years) which turned up over 1700... not 17, 17hundred... violations with almost 700 horses. Pena has never had a single ON track violation. The violations are for drugs given outside the timeframe allowed by the board and "proof" was from off-track PRIVATE veterinary records. Racing Commissioners International president, Edward Martin, made the statement, and I quote.
    "We've been looking for ways to ratchet up fines...."

Now, excuse me, doesn't this stink just a teeny bit of overkill? Two years, 700 horses, 1700 violations? All off track?
  • ....Something smells fishy about all this.....I don't like fish....
  • RachelRachel Member
    I like em grilled with a squirt of lemon. maybe even breaded just right. but a good fish is a dead fish
  • I like em grilled with a squirt of lemon. maybe even breaded just right. but a good fish is a dead fish
    A good fish is one who doesn't spoil the meal.
  • RachelRachel Member
    That too lol