Belmont Stakes 2012

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Belmont Stakes Notes - May 29, 2012
    Story by: NYRA Press Office Source: NYRA.com
    -Triple Crown hopeful I’ll Have Another reunited with exercise rider Jonny Garcia for morning gallop
    -Migliore to give Gutierrez tour around Belmont oval, will ride Lava Man
    Triple Crown hopeful I’ll Have Another was reunited with his regular exercise rider, Jonny Garcia, Tuesday morning for his routine gallop over Belmont Park’s main track in preparation for the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes on June 9.
    The 25-year-old Garcia, who had not been aboard I’ll Have Another since he added the Preakness to his victory in the Kentucky Derby, said the chestnut colt felt just the same as he did before winning the first two legs of racing’s Triple Crown.
    “He feels the same now and he feels like the same horse,” said Garcia, speaking through fellow exercise rider and interpreter Humberto Gomez, who had galloped the horse the past four mornings. “I think [Belmont Park] is pretty much the same [as Churchill Downs and Pimlico]; the only difference is that this track is a little heavier.”
    O’Neill had nothing but praise for Gomez and Hector Ramos, who had filled in for Garcia at Belmont while he went to visit his family and then awaited his license to work as an exercise rider in New York, which he received Monday evening.
    “I’ll Have Another has looked good every day here, but it’s nice having Jonny back on him and having Jonny tell me how he feels so good, that he’s handling the surface great and is stretching as good as ever,” said the trainer. “He’s been on him since Day 1. So that’s definitely an added bonus to a great day.”
    I’ll Have Another, who noticeably picked up the pace coming through the stretch Tuesday morning, is scheduled to gallop into the 1 ½-mile Belmont, in which he is seeking to become racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner and first since Affirmed in 1978.
    “He gallops strong,” said O’Neill. “We’re not too worried about the times, more so with how he’s moving and switching leads out there. You can tell, especially with the four white polo bandages, by the dirt covering all four bandages equally, how he’s switching properly all the way around. I was very happy with the way he looked today.”

• KetaKeta Member
    Jerry Bossert NY Daily News tweeted on Wed. May 30
    Belmont Stakes horses will be forced to move into detention barn starting June 6th.
    He later tweeted
    No nasal strip. Not his exercise rider for a week and now detention barn. You got to bet against I'll Have Another now especially at 4-5

Keta note: Detention barn is part of security rules. Haven't read them yet.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jay Privman‏@DRFPrivman Wed May 30
    Matz was planning on shipping Thurs.
    When I told him Union Rags needed to be on grounds by noon Wed, he said,
    “I guess we’re coming Wed.”
  • KetaKeta Member
    Yikes! Must read all the security protocols & rules!
    Special security planned for Belmont Stakes entrants
    Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:26 PM
    Edited press release
    The New York State Racing and Wagering Board will implement comprehensive protocols for horses running in the Belmont Stakes (G1) in order to "ensure the safety of horses and riders, and to ensure that the integrity of the sport is upheld."
    The plans include provisions to house all entrants in a secured area after Wednesday, June 6, out-of-competition blood testing, and limited veterinary access.
    The New York Racing Association will designate the specific location of the stakes barn and ensure that all entered horses be stalled at the location until the conclusion of the race. Racing and Wagering Board personnel and the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau will assist in security of the stakes barn, which will be subjected to scrutinized oversight.
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2012/05/30/special-security-planned-for-belmont-stakes-entrants.aspx
    This will severely limit any fan contact with contenders.
    It is a wonder that all the previous Belmont Stakes were run without these.
    Anyone else thinking why they waited this late to put these in effect.
    Couldn't they have planned ahead to prepare owners, trainers, staff & horses?
  • Something is DEFFINATELY going on behind closed doors here.
  • RachelRachel Member
    It makes things seem like belmont track is in a gang ridden area with ppl that will harm the horse. and cracking down on limited vet access, thats to make sure no drugs are administered before the races. they really are cracking down for the belmont bit will it be like this for any other race? probably not
  • RachelRachel Member
    But hey we got cameras so we can take many pics of the horses without actually visiting them. thats if any fans are allowed by the barns or even near them :/
  • I just hope it doesn't stress IHA to much =( Or any of the other horses for that matter.
  • Y'all have to remember that The City is now running racing in NY, not the racing commission. Obviously, The Mayor and his henchmen are more knowledgeable about what is necessary for cleaning up racing and all its problems than are people actually involved in the sport. If the horses are disaccommodated, well that's the price that must be paid. Fans? Who needs fans... there's OTB which lessens traffic and crime in the area of the track(s) and improves the economy by freeing up the police presence there, allowing those officers to work around Wall Street and Broadway where the REAL money comes from.
  • HeidiKHeidiK Member
    I just read the article over on drf.com,. I also posted a comment there along with many others that feel the same as I do! I know that the Mayor and officials have taken over but, come on now! First: no nasal strips and now this?! Why all of the sudden did they implement this rule? I swear they are trying to ruin IHA's chances and for what? A TC winner would boost the sport in so many ways and yet, they are trying to prevent this from happening with their stupid "made up along the way rules." Heck, Matz didn't even know until a reporter told him. NYRA didn't even contact him. New York racing has become a black eye for the sport. I really wish the Belmont wasn't in NY and somewhere else. Oh well. The racing Gods are going to be angry and give I'll Have Another wings to fly! Go baby Go!!! Go Team O'Neill!

One thing positive (if you can find one) is that they are boosting IHA's fan base! LOL
  • Like I said..... Something smells fishy, and fish are usually good.... But a good fish doesn't spoil the whole meal.
  • HeidiKHeidiK Member
    Like I said..... Something smells fishy, and fish are usually good.... But a good fish doesn't spoil the whole meal.
    LOL good analogy!
  • Well, I guess this kind of thing will go on forever. Only thing that doesn't matter is a thoroughbred is a thorughbred no matter where he/she comes from. Too bad people have to stir things up all the time. I remember reading that Mr. Riddle, (War Admiral's owner), thought Kentucky was too far West to ship a horse, although he did win the Kentucky Derby. Mr. Riddle, an easterner, (from Maryland), was prejudiced against CA horses. I guess a CA horse showed him in the matchrace. By comparison, Seabiscuit shipped all over the country. Only one thing I know - I hope IHA wins the Belmont, and the TC. I really like that horse. Got my fingers crossed. Safe trip home, all those horses!
  • People are so immature about racing sometimes.....
  • mucker4evamucker4eva Member
    edited May 2012
    Gosh, now I understand why they call that track Big Sandy.
    Check out the right front leg of IHA. Look how his leg wrap is so deep in the track. Wow. He's been working hard.

He almost had a collision today w/ loose horse!!!!!! Scary.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Love the comparison shot of iha and secretariat. They both have regal heads
  • RachelRachel Member
    Yes alpha developed a temperature and will miss the belmont. Its slight but the trainer doesnt want to race him if hes not 100%
  • Yes alpha developed a temperature and will miss the belmont. Its slight but the trainer doesnt want to race him if hes not 100%

I say good thinking on his part.... Shows he cares for his horse more than victory or money.
  • KetaKeta Member
    To get an idea of how close to disaster this was, Look at the photos in the article!
    I’ll Have Another involved in scary incident at Belmont as another horse gets loose and almost barrels over Triple Crown contender
    Trainer Doug O’Neill says I’ll Have Another got lucky
    By Jerry Bossert / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
    The Triple Crown was in serious jeopardy Thursday morning when a loose horse came barreling down the track toward Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner I’ll Have Another, barely missing the colt.
    As the contender for racing’s biggest honor entered Belmont’s main track with his pony horse, Lava Man, a loose horse came within inches of I’ll Have Another, an accident that could have ended the colt’s career or possibly taken his life.
    “My stomach still gets twisted when I think about it,” trainer Doug O’Neill said.
    I’ll Have Another was getting ready for his morning gallop under exercise rider Jonny Garcia just after 8:30 a.m. when the unidentified horse came flying by along the clubhouse turn.
    “It grazed Jonny’s boot,” the trainer said. “Normally they walk the outside rail, but the racing gods must have been looking out for him because he was about two feet off the rail this morning. The loose horse went between the rail and I’ll Have Another.”
    O’Neill said I’ll Have Another was lucky.
    “Normally, when a horse hears another horse coming up on him, they look over and if he did that he would have been T-boned by that horse.”
    As a result of the near miss, the New York Racing Association will try to give Belmont Stakes runners a 10-minute gap to train by themselves during the morning workouts.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/involved-scary-incident-belmont-horse-loose-barrels-triple-crown-contender-article-1.1087389#ixzz1wTrKXCTz
  • To get an idea of how close to disaster this was, Look at the photos in the article!
    I’ll Have Another involved in scary incident at Belmont as another horse gets loose and almost barrels over Triple Crown contender
    Trainer Doug O’Neill says I’ll Have Another got lucky
    By Jerry Bossert / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
    The Triple Crown was in serious jeopardy Thursday morning when a loose horse came barreling down the track toward Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner I’ll Have Another, barely missing the colt.
    As the contender for racing’s biggest honor entered Belmont’s main track with his pony horse, Lava Man, a loose horse came within inches of I’ll Have Another, an accident that could have ended the colt’s career or possibly taken his life.
    “My stomach still gets twisted when I think about it,” trainer Doug O’Neill said.
    I’ll Have Another was getting ready for his morning gallop under exercise rider Jonny Garcia just after 8:30 a.m. when the unidentified horse came flying by along the clubhouse turn.
    “It grazed Jonny’s boot,” the trainer said. “Normally they walk the outside rail, but the racing gods must have been looking out for him because he was about two feet off the rail this morning. The loose horse went between the rail and I’ll Have Another.”
    O’Neill said I’ll Have Another was lucky.
    “Normally, when a horse hears another horse coming up on him, they look over and if he did that he would have been T-boned by that horse.”
    As a result of the near miss, the New York Racing Association will try to give Belmont Stakes runners a 10-minute gap to train by themselves during the morning workouts.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/involved-scary-incident-belmont-horse-loose-barrels-triple-crown-contender-article-1.1087389#ixzz1wTrKXCTz
    Yikes! Glad that IHA is okay, VERY lucky dodge!