Flagging Inappropriate Posts

jduvalljduvall Member
edited March 2012 in Tech Support & Tutorials
On the LibraryThing discussion boards, there is an option to "flag" a post that you feel may be inappropriate or in violation of the terms of use. This helps the admin keep on top of things. If there are enough flags, the post is removed. Something to think about for future upgrades ...

Comments

• Good idea.
  • I would think with this group we are not going to stray to far from our beloved and adored subject.
  • There are some in cyberspace who unfortunately consider it their mission in life to make life miserable for the rest of us. I agree, a "flag" may be needed, even here in our fluffy corner of the world! Great idea.
  • kyleakylea Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestion! We can add this feature with the next round of updates.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I kind of think the only way posters would get upset would be if a troll snuck in and posted negative stuff about the Queen, the Crown Prince, Her John, Dottie, the Moss' , barn 55, mikie, or Lane's End. Then, they would deserve our wrath ;)
  • From what I have seen, this type of post gets plenty of heat from the members. The problem is: Who decides what is inappropriate?
  • That should be a mod's decision. For instance over on the blog there was an entry by Rumorhasit--and it sure seemed like he was out to stir the pot. Did it deserve to be pulled? I don't know. That should be a mod's decision. I will say that most that responded to this potboiler basically put him down.
    From what I have seen, this type of post gets plenty of heat from the members. The problem is: Who decides what is inappropriate?
  • On the LibraryThing discussion boards, there is an option to "flag" a post that you feel may be inappropriate or in violation of the terms of use. This helps the admin keep on top of things. If there are enough flags, the post is removed. Something to think about for future upgrades ...
    I think Julie is saying a flag is a way to express your displeasure, discomfort with a posting. This would be great for me as I don't have the patience or tact to deal with unsavory postings. I am wondering if the flags would be seen by the members or just the Web Masters? If there is a choice, I would prefer just the Web Masters. Maybe a number of flags could be set to indicate that enough is enough.
  • On LibraryThing, after a certain number of flags, the post is automatically removed from the discussion. It helps to cut down on spam. It's not perfect, of course; someone could flag a post out of spite, but I don't think we have that type of membership. And admin could always restore a post if it has been inappropriately flagged.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    We sometimes disagree or express ourselves poorly...then what is perceived might not what was meant...but given that this is one of the nicest group of folks gathered anywhere ...usually we work it out...
  • Kylea:
    I need to have 2 discussions I posted on the Lane's End topic. In particular a website I posted for Unbridledhorsetours.com because it caused a problem for the tour operator getting calls thinking they could get to see Zenyatta which they can't only some areas of the farm and not any of the broodmares including Zenyatta.
    My discussion must have given the wrong impression and I am so sorry. I should have thought it out more before positing a link to the website.
    Please delete my two discussion comments about Lane's End.
    Thank you and I am so sorry again for any misconception I caused for both fans and the tour operator.
  • I see that there is now a posting in General about horse slaughter/advocates.
    I commented about not using Zenyatta's forum for such a hot topic and nasty debates this will cause.
    There are multiple forums about horse slaughter, roundups and all that stuff, I just hate to see the Zenyatta forum be turned into another "pro/against horse slaughter.
  • With all respect to this member I CLEARLY labeled the thread Wild Horse Advocates. And now I see this being flagged? Wonder who is really being disruptive here?

There are two important meetings happening next week. No where in my post did I take a stand pro/anti.

For Pete's sake it was more an announcement kind of post than one to cause a fight. So since my post was flagged--can I flag Grandma for her double attack on me?
    I see that there is now a posting in General about horse slaughter/advocates.
    I commented about not using Zenyatta's forum for such a hot topic and nasty debates this will cause.
    There are multiple forums about horse slaughter, roundups and all that stuff, I just hate to see the Zenyatta forum be turned into another "pro/against horse slaughter.
  • I have no problem with prickly subjects as long as they are labeled. For practial reasons, I think they're best kept on the Forum. Any forum discussion is "enter at your own risk and don't be surprised if someone disagrees with you," IMO.

As for flagging inappropriate material, I agree to trust the judgment of the moderators. We've all seen postings on other places that are inappropriately sexual, bigoted, personally abusive, and so forth. This site has been around long enough that our particular "community standard" assumes kids may be reading, so we try to keep the language clean as well as avoiding the above.
  • I think some subjects should be rejected just because of the controversy that ensues. Ex...when someone posts that they are leaving the forum it just creates unrest so that title should be rejected by admins...period.
  • Let me say this: there's a group of people, many are in the industry or know somebody in the industry who don't like what I say. There's a certain person here who's close to Doug o'Neil and claims that Doug never has cheated. These people want the status quo to survive.

NOT IF I CAN HELP IT.

Maimed horses are of no concern to them. Keeping the money rolling in is. I'll be damned if I'm going to let them win.

Have you heard ANY of them voice concern for Monzante?

Have you heard any of them voice concern for what happened at Tampa bay downs concerning Jane cibelli? No, they live in a world where this kind of activity is OK.

I'll be damned if I'm going to quit now!!!!!!!
  • And I thank them for giving me more inspiration!