I'll Have Another, Triple Crown?

ShazamShazam Member
Twice, I'll Have Another claimed victory over Bodemeister in the Preakness Stakes and in the Kentucky Derby, and Bidemeister got second in both. Will I'll Have Another claim victory in the Belmont Stakes?

Comments

• That depends on who Nick Zito has stabled out back.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Sure hope IHA can do it in the Belmont. Did anyone else notice his short tail? A Triple Crown Winner from back in the 40s had a short tail like that. His name was Whirlaway.

Poor Bodemeister, if it weren't for IHA, he would have won the Derby and the Preakness!
  • I hope he does it,I think it would be in the best interests of the sport. Triple Crown winners are far too few and far between.I think that a TC Winner will bring a renewed interest,and new Blood to the sport,as well as scrunity.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Another duo....Affirmed and Alydar....Alydar also born wrong year.....
    Sham still ran the second fastest derby .....ever...
  • RachelRachel Member
    Affirmed may have been the triple crown winner but alydar was the best sire of the 2. It's sad they met tragic ends :(
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Affirmed may have been the triple crown winner but alydar was the best sire of the 2. It's sad they met tragic ends :(
    very true....find Alydar in pedigrees alot
  • edited May 2012
    I honestly am very concerned about the Belmont. I think I'll Have Another is a great horse. But that is a mile and a half of tough competitors and two VERY tough competitors who have skipped the Preakness. Not to mention so many horses have failed to win the Belmont after winning the first two races. I will root for him but I won't hold my breath.
  • Triple Crown winners = 11
    Derby/Preakness = 21
    Preakness/Belmont = 15
    Derby/Belmont = 11
  • Would be nice to see IHA win the Triple Crown but my main concern is that he
    is not pushed too hard. He only just won this last race.
  • I hope he wins the Triple Crown, the sport needs this - but as always - the horse is most important!!! Good luck.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dullahan also skipped for the Belmont, I'll Have Another's Preakness race was a close one though Bodimeister's owner CLAIMS to say he won't participate in the Belmont. So that APPARENTLY bucks out some (if not most) of the competition, but there's still so much stacked against him. My biggest fear is that he'll break down in the final stretch for the finish.
  • Dullahan also skipped for the Belmont, I'll Have Another's Preakness race was a close one though Bodimeister's owner CLAIMS to say he won't participate in the Belmont. So that APPARENTLY bucks out some (if not most) of the competition, but there's still so much stacked against him. My biggest fear is that he'll break down in the final stretch for the finish.
    SSSSHHHHH!!! We must hope and PRAY to the racing Gods.
    We must stick together and keep the faith.
    Give our hearts to him. He is giving his to us.

• I'm betting that even if Bodemeister races against him, I'll Have Another is going to win. From what I've seen of Bodemeister, it looks like, although very fast, he doesn't quite have the stamina to go the distance. Both the Derby and the Preakness, I'll Have Another was able to win because Bodemeister faded ever so slightly at the end...
  • Bodemeister wouldn't be my biggest fear in this one, Union Rags is. Or maybe another less known horse like how I'll Have Another started. We will just have to wait and see....
  • RachelRachel Member
    Daily racing form article says Bodemeister won't go to the Belmont. I'm waiting on more info for that
  • HeidiKHeidiK Member
    Bode is not going to the Belmont. Baffert stated that he's seen enough of I'll Have Another for now, the buck stops here.
    The way that IHA won the Derby and the Preakness was chilling! I really think that, if he stays happy and healthy, we'll see him in the Belmont winners circle holding up the Crown Jewel!!! He's already in New York. O'Neill is very smart for shipping him there right away, like he did for the Preakness. Let the horse and the crew acclamate to the conditions there.
    If I'll Have Another takes the TC, not only will the Horse make history but, the entire team will too. First time Derby contenders, won. First time Preakness contenders, won. First time Belmont contenders...... We'll see!! How great would that be for Team IHA! Anyone know how tall IHA is?

Aside: I think that I'll Have Another will love the 1 1/2 miles of the Belmont. He's proven he can get 1 1/4.
  • Like I keep saying....We NEED a Triple Crown Winner. To help everyone remember what racing is truly about. It's not just about the money, it's about the horse, the story around the horse, the PEOPLE around the horse, and the grasp of the Triple Crown. It would be quite the story if IHA took the Triple Crown.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Such an exciting triple crown so far. Gunna miss Bodemeister but yea he needs a rest. Maybe other trainers should follow what o neill is doing with I'll have another. It just makes sense
  • L_Q_Q_KL_Q_Q_K Member
    edited May 2012
    So far, 2012 has been an exciting year for horse racing. When I'll Have Another caught and passed Bodemeister for the win at both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness I was reminded of another famous horse who loved to chase 'em down the stretch for the win.......Zenyatta.

I compared the pedigrees of I'll Have Another and Zenyatta. They both have Mr. Prospector in the top half of their pedigrees, Kris S in the bottom. There is stamina on both sides of I'll Have Another's pedigree. The top half comes via Sadler's Wells (CS) and on the bottom half there is stamina galore via Princequillo (IS), Stage Door Johnny (SP), Nijinsky (CS), and Sea-Bird (S). What caught my eye as well was Alydar is represented in the bottom half of I'll Have Another's pedigree. Perhaps it's fate that Alydar will finally get his Triple Crown.

The Belmont is sure to be exciting. May all the horses cross the finish line safely.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    As a fan of the wonderful Alydar, I was so glad to see him in I'll Have Another's pedigree. Alydar had plenty of stamina. I asked a groom at Claiborne Farm many years ago when Secretariat was there who was the best horse he had ever seen and he answered without hesitation, Princequillo. And this guy knew Bold Ruler, Damascus and some others.
  • On my blog right after the Preakness wrapped, I predicted Bodemeister would skip the Belmont and Went the Day Well too. Glad to see I'm still tuned in to "the spirits!" I think, if Rags is recovered from his Derby injuries, he and Dullahan will be Another's main competition. Of course, who knows what others will be entered. Should be a field smaller than the Preakness. I'd LOVE to see another TC winner!

As a bit of trivia, only one filly has ever won the Filly Triple Crown... Davona Dale in '79.
  • Hockey_Buff & Shirlee: I'm in your camp. And I really doubt that Union Rags, Dullahan or Hansen can take I'll Have Another. At 62, I remember Secretariat, Slew & Afiirmed's campaigns very well. What I'll Have Another also has in common with the last 3 TC winners is he's learning after every race and he's the kind of colt you can put anywhere. It's the learning -- growing up along the way -- and this VERY talented jockey that are keys to his possible success in the Belmont. But win or lose, he's an UBER-talented colt with an amazing jockey!!!!
  • He REALLY reminds me of previous TC Winners the way he sneaks up on everyone. I remember looking at Bodemeister then: "POOF!" suddenly this chestnut colt appears and wins! For a little bit it felt like I was watching the movie Secretariat the way he snuck up and passed Bodemeister.