Breeder's Cup in November, Santa Anita

Who's driving to Arcadia from San Diego in November?? I'd love to be part of a caravan. Let me know.

Comments

• A year later, is anyone driving from San Diego to Arcadia this November 2013??????
  • kurtkurt Member
    for the first time ever in calif, im refusing to go to the bc. im sick n tired of having a pre=pre sell number and getting on there and having it be 98% sold out, and having stub hub have hundreds of tickets already.
    also fed up with them taking the decent general admission spots and creating crap like "the view" for $550 so that GA peeps will be shoved past the 1/8 pole.. screw the bc..i'll go to the morning works everyday and take pics n then watch the races on tv on friday and saturday...sorry for the rant..just tired of the BC jamming the casual fan
  • Yep Kurt, they don't seem to care that much for fans. I don't blame you.
  • kurtkurt Member
    edited August 2013
    i got some great photos in the mornings last year..some great race day as well, but this year, i'll just go photo crazy and hope i get to see/shoot everyone i wanna see between sunday and thursday..last year they did "the enclosure" which burned peoples ability to see them in the saddling area and this years"the view" was the final straw for me.
    i understand they want to generate revenue, i get it. but they create these cash grabs that,while they make money, are for people that really could care less about the sport, are there to be seen etc and insted, push away the people that really support the sport and it certainly doesnt do anything to bring in new fans..
  • Kurt, I couldn't agree with you more. In 2010, I stood a few feet away from Zenyatta hitting the finish line first in the Breeders' Cup Classic. Admission price was $10 and I had access to the paddock, Infield and the grandstand apron area.

I haven't returned. While the BC will surely feature some magnificent horses all in two days, I will not support the California industry if they don't appreciate my support.

I'm sure Lindsay Lohann and Brad Pitt will get good seats.
  • Right you are, markinsac. And when asked what horses they have picked, they will ask, "What are some of the names of the horses who are running.." Just like the YB Derby Crazy Hat and Camera Day. But they are SEEN there, but not by me....I will turn it off and watch reruns of Car 54 Where Are You...they don't know where they are either. Or why.
  • cAr 54 WhErE aRe YoU? You would think after 60 years of looking, they would have found it.
  • I found it...on "MeTV"
  • I hope the next BC is not in CA it cost to must money to go.
  • Well folks I guess everyone has the right to say whatever they want about the BC and California. As for myself last year was the first time I was able to attend the BC and I had the time of my life. I met amazing people at the Zenyatta Party, got to see the most beautiful horses in the world, and got to watch the best jockey's doing what they do best. I have already bought my tickets and booked my room for this year and I can't wait to be there. Everything has gotten more expensive and we just have to deal with it if we want to keep doing what we enjoy. The hats, the people and the crazyness are all part of the big picture and that is what makes it The Breeder's Cup!
  • yea but the sport loses fans and attendance at the track with the prices going up, most people cant afford what was once something they could. ill always be watching it on tv cuz i dont have the money for transportation or to get tickets and the fact im all the way on the east coast lol. and theres the fact that im not a seriously huge crowd fan.
  • I went to the BC in 2010 had a good to there.It did cost a lot money but I could drive there and the price of the hotel was reasonable for me to go. If it is in CA I can not go because I could not aford the plane ticket or hotel.

• On 2nd Thought ... Breeders' Cup Distaff Back
    By Blood-Horse Staff

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79943/on-2nd-thought--breeders-cup-distaff-back#ixzz2bOul3jGt
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited August 2013
    they change things so much its hard to keep up lol
  • I don't attend races but I'm gathering, from reading above posts, that as far as attending the 'big ones' (Breeders Cup, TC races, etc), its sort of like only going to church at Christmas and Easter (BIG crowds). Might be fun but if you really want to see the race, best to stay home and watch on TV!
  • Joanna, that depends on the star power. The year Zenyatta won the BC Classic, I would never have forgiven myself if I'd stayed at home.

This year has some star power and I'm seriously thinking of going.
  • PS, Distaff or Ladies Classic, it doesn't matter that much. But I do wish they would stop changing it around so much.
  • I don't attend races but I'm gathering, from reading above posts, that as far as attending the 'big ones' (Breeders Cup, TC races, etc), its sort of like only going to church at Christmas and Easter (BIG crowds). Might be fun but if you really want to see the race, best to stay home and watch on TV!
    I attended both the 2010 and 2011 Breeders Cups, both days, at Churchill Downs. I had good seats and had no problems seeing the action. The only thing I wanted to see but couldn't was Zenyatta in the paddock. The track was crowded but not overly so. I was able to find betting windows without lines just by looking around a bit.

I've never been to the Derby, but I understand from locals that while the Derby is a mob scene, Oaks Day is lots of fun.

Honestly, I don't begrudge them the right to charge the admission they do. Most days at most tracks, it is free or very cheap to get in, and the tracks rely on bettors to make money. Even at boutique meets, admission isn't steep. I just paid $10 for a reserved seat at Keeneland, with a G1and a G3 on the card. That's less than I'd pay for a movie. Hey, I'd like to be able to go to the Super Bowl or the Final Four also, but I expect these tickets to cost way more than I'd pay for a regular game. So it is with any top sporting event.
  • kurtkurt Member
    i dont have a problem ..per say..with high ticket prices, but when you take something thats a given at the track everyday, is part of what makes that particular track what it is, and change it,specifically to make it a cash grab, and do it at the expense of the regular fan..which is EXACTLY what "the view" does..im done doing business with you.
    the breeders cup ticketing is as big a fraud as ive ever seen. i had a pre-sell number for access BEFORE the presell, thus, i SHOULDA atleast had an opportunity to buy the best seats in the house...which i wouldnt because of cost and frankly, dont care to be up there...but if your ticketing is legit. ALL of those seating options should have ATLEAST been available to me had i wanted to spend that kind of cash. insted, the whole event was 95% sold out BEFORE it ever went on sale. the response from BC when i asked was that the bulk of the tickets go to "industry" people.....BULLS**T!!! there was hundred of tickets on stubhub the SAME DAY!!
    so at that point, the common man is relegated to the apron area, which turned out to be perfect for someone like me that loves taking pictures and has a good enough camera lense to pull it off from the stands...i got phenomenal pics last year. met alot of great people and had a blast.
    but this year, the BC had to take the only good spot for regular people away from us by adding "the view" at a cost of $550 for two days and shoving general admission down past the 1/8 pole..
    its been several months now since i learned about it, and as you can tell im still extremely PI***d about it.
    sorry for the rant..especially since its the same rant i posted a few days ago but..yah..im still p.o'd at the bc and refuse to give them a dime this year
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember

Honestly, I don't begrudge them the right to charge the admission they do. Most days at most tracks, it is free or very cheap to get in, and the tracks rely on bettors to make money. Even at boutique meets, admission isn't steep. I just paid $10 for a reserved seat at Keeneland, with a G1and a G3 on the card. That's less than I'd pay for a movie. Hey, I'd like to be able to go to the Super Bowl or the Final Four also, but I expect these tickets to cost way more than I'd pay for a regular game. So it is with any top sporting event.

Well, the prices AREN'T going to the tracks (obviously a portion does), but basically the BC takes over whatever track it's based at for the year. You can sneak into SA if you know the ins and outs, but the downside was that the ONLY part of the paddock that the "little people" were able to see was the side facing the sun, and it was a very small area. (I was a volunteer photographer and had access to a lot of areas that normally I couldn't have gone in). On Friday, we had access to the paddock area, but on Saturday, we didn't. We also weren't allowed to eat in the Enclosure on Saturday, but we had unlimited food and drink in the Trophy Lounge. (other volunteers only got box lunches) THis year, they're doing shifts, but they didn't have volunteer photographers listed, so I didn't sign up
  • Breeders Cup Update Sunday Sept. 15
    Jim Gluckson ‏@BCRacingguy
    Minakshi (FR) joins Dank (GB) and The Fugue (GB) as the first 3 horses to qualify
    for the @BreedersCup Filly & Mare Turf @santaanitapark