Forum Tips & Guidelines

kyleakylea Administrator
edited May 2012 in Tech Support & Tutorials
Hello everyone!

The forum has been up for two months now, and as of today we have over 1,100 registered users. Here are some tips and guidelines that will help keep our community organized and enjoyable for everyone.

Creating an account:
-In order to participate in discussions you must sign up for an account. We require a valid email address, user name, and a password. Your information is secure and we will never use it for any purpose.
-You must confirm your email address before you can post a comment or start a new discussion. You will be sent an email with a confirmation link from forum@zenyatta.com. Be sure to add this email address to your address book so that the message does not end up in your junk folder.
-If you haven't received your confirmation email, you can log in and click the resend link. Another email will be sent from the new address immediately. Once you click the link in the email, your registration will be complete.
-Those of you who continue to have trouble after trying the steps above can send an email to forum@zenyatta.com. If you do email us, please include your forum user name in the email. We'll do our best to help you out!

Browsing the forum:
- The forum is organized with the most recently added or updated discussions first. The front page of the forum generally contains the threads that have been active that day.
- You can click on any category title to sort discussions by topic.
- If the number of comments and threads seems daunting, take advantage of the "Mark All Viewed" and Bookmark features:
• You can bookmark threads that you would like to follow by clicking on the star to the right of the title. Your bookmarked discussions will always be easily accessible in your sidebar. You can also set your preferences for receiving email notifications about updates to your bookmarked discussions (see Your Profile below).
• Clicking "Mark All Viewed" clears all new comment notifications. The next time you return to the forum, only threads that have been updated since your last visit will be marked with a yellow notification.

Participating in Discussions:
- Try to stay on topic within a discussion.
- Avoid typing in all capitals or using too many exclamation or question marks. This is the equivalent of shouting and can make your comment seem aggressive.
- The "Quote" feature allows you to reply more directly to a previous comment, as it copies that comment into yours. Use this feature sparingly in order to keep the forum clutter free. If you are replying to the comment directly above yours, use the ^ symbol to indicate that. You can direct your comment to another user by typing @username.

Starting discussions:
- Check to see if there's an existing discussion about your topic before you start a new thread. If you don't see one right away, try the using the search function.
- Its better to revive the discussion in an older, on-topic thread than to start a new one. When you comment on an older thread, it is moved up to the front page of the forum.
- Choose your discussion titles wisely. Make them descriptive but not too long.
- When starting a new discussion, try to pick the most appropriate category from the drop-down menu.

Your profile:
- Adding a photo personalizes your account.
- Clicking "My Preferences" in the menu on the left will open a pop-up window with detailed notification options.

Private Messages:
- You can send another user a message by clicking on the "Send user a message" link on the left side of their profile.
- Group messages can be sent directly from your inbox. Click "Start a new conversation" and add one or multiple user names to the Recipients field.
- Any user involved in a private conversation can add additional users to the conversation at any point.

Moderation:
- The forum moderators will occasionally merge, recategorize, or change the titles of discussions. We do this in order to keep the forum organized and easy to navigate.
- We read all comments that are made in the Tech Support & Suggestions category. If you have a question for us, please post it there.

Comments

• Your Forum is the Best
  • There appear to be two "Hootie needs help" threads that can be combined.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kylea
    The Blog is getting very slow in loading Posts.
    I've been getting error messages saying "Zenyatta site is not responding"
    In reading Posts, others are having problems using the Blog.
    Thought you'd like to know & check on what is happening
    Thanks
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kylea,
    Okay. Got it. You were changing Blog.
    That is why it was so slow.
    Maybe a "Maintenance" or "Update" going on warning would help.
    That way user would be alerted & could come back later.
    Thanks again, Keta
  • kyleakylea Administrator
    Hey Keta,
    Updating the blog shouldn't slow things down. I'm not sure what was going on today, but thanks for the heads up!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    @Kylea...the thread "Belmont Stakes 2012"...does not seem to work right...all others OK...
    @carolinutah what problems are you having? It seems ok to me.
    It comes up blank squares and moves side to side...other threads do not do this
    It comes up blank squares and moves side to side...other threads do not do this
    Still cant get it to work.....oh well...everything else is fine
    ^ I've tried multiple computers, and I haven't been able to recreate the problem you're describing. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kylea
    I haven't. If I do. will let you know.
    Keta
    Its just kn the one thread....oh well ....
  • Works fine for me.
  • Kylie, can you combine the "Stallions Worthy of Zenyatta" thread into the "my choices for the next three years" threads? They're part of the same discussion.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kylea, thank you for the page function you added to the Blog.
    Makes it much easier to navigate.
    The improvements you keep making are appreciated.
    Keta
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited July 2012
    If we want to find a discussion, but don't want to page through all the listings, shouldn't we be able to use the "search the forum" feature at the top? I typed in "The Who's Who of Dumplings" and got a screen which said it couldn't be found. How does that feature work? I suppose I could have found it on my own page as I have commented on that thread. Just thought there might be a shortcut using the "search the forum" feature.
    ^ The search function searches thread content but not titles. It returns individual comments in order of relevance.

I just recreated your search for "The Who's Who of Dumplings" and your comment above was the first result.

The best way to locate a specific thread is to click through the category headings in the right hand column. This will narrow the number of threads displayed at once and make it easier to find what you're looking for. "The Who's Who of Dumplings" thread is in the Community & Events category.
  • Thank you. I was looking in the General category. I finally just looked through all the listings. Not a big deal actually. So how would the search for "thread content" work?
    It's simple: type any word or phrase in the search field, and the results are comments that best match your search terms.
  • kylea
    On page 2 of the Current Blog Mosses Visit in Oct, I posted an article about Frankel that had several links in it. Got a Spam Filter error message. Here it is

October 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    Your comment is awaiting moderation. The spam filter that protects our online community occasionally holds comments for human approval. This can happen if you post too many links. Please DO NOT reply to this comment if you see this message.

It is now 8:52 pm and no human has approved yet.
    Which means no one can Reply.
    Please check on this and approve the post.
    It is an article with the link posted at the bottom-so it is a valid post.
    Thanks
    Keta
    @Keta, in the future you should repost your comment with fewer links instead of waiting for approval. When the spam filter holds your comment for moderation, only you can see it. It is invisible to the rest of the community. We get hundreds of spam comments each day, and it's not always possible to sort through them in a timely manner.

Please try to keep to a limit of 3 or fewer links per comment.

Thanks
  • kylea,
    Thanks. The links were part of the article-I am a one-link kind of girl.
    Did not know message was for Sender Only-thought all could see.
    Learned something new-that happens every day.
    Keta
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Words are being cut off in the hurricane sandy discussion. Not sure if its my phone or the forum discussion thats messing up lol
  • kylea,
    Blog question. When I post (Leave a Comment) on the Blog &
    decide I want to delete that post, how can I do that?
    There doesn't seem to be any edit or delete function on the Blog.
    Help please.
    Keta