Zenny's Mom, Vertigineux

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    Don't do Facebook et all. Oh well. Thanks. K
  • Steve Haskin, of Blood-Horse, responded to a tweet asking about Vertigineux that "she died a few years ago."
  • Like I said on the other thread on the same topic, she deserves more respect than she has received.
  • They're on his personal FB, so I am not comfortable posting them. You can friend him though - Omar Velez. He really just has headshots of her. Says she is a sweety pie, and she has a super kind eye. Coz absolutely FAWNS over the guy!

Just looked and he has a cute selfie with Zi now too :)
    If the page is public, you can post a link with impunity. Per Facebook's Terms of Use, anything posted on a publicly viewable page is available to be accessed, including from locations outside Facebook. People who don't want anybody and everybody to see what they post can use their privacy settings to restrict access.
  • Yes, that's true, especially if there is a "Share" button with the post.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    They're on his personal FB, so I am not comfortable posting them. You can friend him though - Omar Velez. He really just has headshots of her. Says she is a sweety pie, and she has a super kind eye. Coz absolutely FAWNS over the guy!

Just looked and he has a cute selfie with Zi now too :)

If the page is public, you can post a link with impunity. Per Facebook's Terms of Use, anything posted on a publicly viewable page is available to be accessed, including from locations outside Facebook. People who don't want anybody and everybody to see what they post can use their privacy settings to restrict access.
    It is a private FB page, and the only people who can see the picture (even if it is shared) are Omar's Friends.
  • KMMKMM Member
    OK, I sent an email to Joe Drape of the NY Times ( I am a subscriber). May take a little while to get a response. Told him about V, lack of any story about her death (rumored), Coolmore's lack of supplying info, forum's distress, et all. See if I get a response or if there may be a story down the road...
  • KMMKMM Member
    He covers horse racing for NYTimes.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I also sent a similar email and plea about this matter to Bloodhorse.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tried to contact drf.com by email, but drf did not want my yahoo account which is different from my free membership. Will try tomorrow. K
  • Thank you @KMM.
  • More on the other thread on this discussion.
  • OK, I sent an email to Joe Drape of the NY Times ( I am a subscriber). May take a little while to get a response. Told him about V, lack of any story about her death (rumored), Coolmore's lack of supplying info, forum's distress, et all. See if I get a response or if there may be a story down the road...

Might want to add to that or if anyone verifies it but apparently (this was posted on ThoroughbredChampions) there was a clause that stated upon V's death she was to be buried at Winter Quarter Farm. Per that person, they contacted them and were advised that the farm didn't even find out about her death until this spring. Now I'm sorry but Coolmore (if this is true) not honoring the previous owners wishes, that's such crap.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think we've got all that we are going to. She died in 2014, and they whatever they did with her body.
  • KMMKMM Member
    They did whatever they did...
  • OK, I sent an email to Joe Drape of the NY Times ( I am a subscriber). May take a little while to get a response. Told him about V, lack of any story about her death (rumored), Coolmore's lack of supplying info, forum's distress, et all. See if I get a response or if there may be a story down the road...

Might want to add to that or if anyone verifies it but apparently (this was posted on ThoroughbredChampions) there was a clause that stated upon V's death she was to be buried at Winter Quarter Farm. Per that person, they contacted them and were advised that the farm didn't even find out about her death until this spring. Now I'm sorry but Coolmore (if this is true) not honoring the previous owners wishes, that's such crap.
    Reminds me of what happened with Bluesthestandard and Old Friends, when the lessor did not notify them upon his death and he was sent to a processing plant.
  • Maybe that explains Coolmore's silence. They didn't want Winter Quarter Farm to learn about it.
  • Maybe that explains Coolmore's silence. They didn't want Winter Quarter Farm to learn about it.
    Don't know the agreement made between Winter Quarter Farm and Coolmore Stud, but as the legal owner of Vertigineux, I don't think Coolmore had any obligation to notify Vertigineux's former owners on the status of Vertigineux's death. If there was an "otherwise" agreement, I think it would have been very dumb...err unprofessional for a high profile operation to withhold information to the former owners...the truth will come out eventually (as it did just now) and could affect Coolmore's reputation within the field if such a sales clause was ignored.

Only an assumption and just take it as that...it appears that Coolmore's interests lies on the connections that provide a commercial/financial advantage to their operation. The "non-paying" public is not considered a priority in their business operation.

• KetaKeta Member
    Coolmore: Zenyatta's Dam Vertigineux Has Died
    By Frank Angst, The Blood-Horse June 2, 2015 1:44 PM
    In postings on its social media outlets June 2, Coolmore Stud said Vertigineux, dam of 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta, died last year at age 19.
    "The daughter of Kris S. suffered an acute colic last year and was sent straight to the Hagyard Equine Medical Institute where everything was done to save her, but unfortunately this was not possible," Coolmore reported on its Facebook page June 2.
    Like Zenyatta, Vertigineux was bred in Kentucky by Eric Kronfeld's Maverick Production, Ltd. Kronfeld died in 2013 at the age of 71.
    To date Vertigineux boasts two grade I winners in Zenyatta, who won 13 grade I races; and three-time grade I winner Balance, by Thunder Gulch. Vertigineux's first foal, the filly Where's Bailey, by Aljabr, won the 2005 Remington Park Oaks.
    Zenyatta, by Street Cry (Ire), earned champion older mare honors each season from 2008-10, capping that run with her Horse of the Year title.
    Coolmore reports the final foal out of Vertigineux is an unnamed, 2-year-old, full brother to Zenyatta.
    Campaigned by Kronfeld, Vertigineux won two of seven career starts racing in 1998 and 1999 at Belmont Park, Delaware Park, and Saratoga Race Course. The two wins for Vertigineux, out of the Forli mare For the Flag, came on turf.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92331/coolmore-zenyattas-dam-vertigineux-has-died

Street Cry & Vertigineux are both gone.
    Baby brother is last in this line.
  • Another Graded stakes win for the VERTIGINEUX line.

Zenyatta's Niece Takes Yellow Ribbon

She's Not Here, or Zenyatta's "cousin" as jockey Mike Smith describes her, won with a furious rally in the middle of the Del Mar stretch Sept. 6 to take the $200,000 Yellow Ribbon Handicap (gr. IIT).

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94234/zenyattas-niece-takes-yellow-ribbon
    Vertigineux' grand-daughter, She's Not Here (out of Where's Bailey) finished 1st by 1 1/2 lengths, on May 30, 2015, at CHURCHILL DOWNS in Race 6.

She's Not Here ( Street Cry (IRE) - Where's Bailey, by Aljabr)
  • Saw the race on TV. The commentators said they had rarely seen Mike so happy to win a race. I thought he said she was "Zenyatta's neice" when he was interviewed. Or maybe the commentators said it. The exact relationship is a moot point. The main thing is Mike was so happy because she was related to Zenny.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited September 2015
    Saw the race on TV. The commentators said they had rarely seen Mike so happy to win a race. I thought he said she was "Zenyatta's neice" when he was interviewed. Or maybe the commentators said it. The exact relationship is a moot point. The main thing is Mike was so happy because she was related to Zenny.
    He said cousin :)

She's even closer than just cousin or niece, though, as a 3/4 sister with her daddy Street Cry, same as Ebby and Coz. I think it makes it more exciting ;)
  • Just picked up on the recent discussion on the Mom V thread, and wanted to add my congratulation to the memory of the lovely Vertigineux on the win of her granddaughter.

I also wanted to add that my previous concerns about the agreement with the late Eric Kronfeld and Coolmore concerning the burial of V's remains did come to an apparent sad conclusion. When V was sold to Coolmore, I believe she was pregnant with Ebby. I believe Ebby remained the property of Kronfeld with V going to Coolmore. There was a clear understanding that when V died her remains were to be returned to the farm of her birth, and she should be buried next to her dam. If I am not correct with any of this please correct me, but I had a good source, so I believe I am correct with the above account. I really find the actions of Coolmore very upsetting.

I am hoping that when American Pharoah is retired to Coolmore, AP and his present connections are not treated with such disrespect. Will the fans ever hear from AP again?
  • They certainly are an odd farm to be involved with horses that have fans in a profession that seems to depend on fans to a large extent.