Prep Races for Kentucky Derby on NBC

KetaKeta Member
The Jockey Club, in collaboration with the NBC Sports Group, CNBC and six racetracks, will provide live coverage of the Road to the Kentucky Derby™, a series of six major prep races for the 2012 Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands to be run over four consecutive weekends. Coverage begins with the Vinery Racing Spiral Stakes from Turfway Park in Florence, Ky., this Saturday 5-6 p.m. on NBC Sports Network.

In addition to the Spiral Stakes, which was won last year by eventual Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom, NBC Sports Network will present the Bourbonette Oaks, a race for fillies that is an important prep race for the Kentucky Oaks.

Comments

• Keta- Thanks for the info about the races this weekend. I always like watching on NBC.
  • Thanx for the heads up
  • Thanks a million, Keta.
    I'll be sure to watch and enjoy.
  • Its nice to have some good news for a change about racing. There has been too much negativity recently ie. "Luck" and the breakdowns at Aqueduct. We can use some good press.
  • Been waiting for this. My cable company doesn't carry TVG or HRTV, so do most of my race watching on xpressbets or twinspires. Will be nice to watch it on the TV and kick back on the sofa while doing so. :)
  • I love to watch these prep races to become more familiar with the Kentucky Derby prospects. Thanks, Keta for the reminder.
  • MamawMamaw Member
    Isn't this fun? Look how much interest in racing Zenyatta has generated! She converted me from a Triple Crown fan to an all year 'round fan-and she has hundreds of thousands-maybe millions-of fans. I think she is the only horse in the modern era to exert this kind of influence. She should get an award for that. And I will look forward to watching the Derby prep races on NBC-a few years ago, I would have just watched the Derby itself-plus the Preakness and Belmont. Kudos to Zenyatta!
  • Will it be 5-6 pm up here in Washington as well?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hansen not goings to Wood.....they are changing Alpha too.....doings what they can to get to first leg of big dance
  • On March 31st, the Florida Derby and the Rampart Stakes will be broadcast from Gulfstream Park. If you don't see the Rampart on NBC, it will be live on Gulfstream Park's website.
    The Florida Derby will feature Union Rags and El Padrino and it's going to be the best prep of the year. Union Rags is trained by Michael Matz, the trainer of Barbaro, and he's the top prospect for the Derby. His owner is Mrs. Phyllis Wyeth and her parents bred his maternal grand sire Gone West ( out of Secretariat's daughter Secrettame and Mr. Prospector). His sire was Dixie Union out of Dixieland Band. Incidentally, both are depicted in sculptures at Lanes End as Mr. Will Farrish's in-laws bred Dixieland Band; he was one of the first stallions at Lanes End.
    Awesome Maria will do her dancing routine in the show ring prior to her racing in the Rampart. And she is the only one doing a dance number at the racetrack since Zenny retired.
    I know all of you will definately get a kick out of seeing her. And she has to have a blanket thrown on her so she can enter the gate. She is just awesome.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Marc Doche‏ tweeted
    Hose racing on national TV Saturday NBC Sports covering
    Santa Anita Derby and Wood Memorial 4:30- 6 p.m.ET
  • today?
  • KetaKeta Member
    today?
    Telecasts on Saturday.
    Hugs
  • Isn't this fun? Look how much interest in racing Zenyatta has generated! She converted me from a Triple Crown fan to an all year 'round fan-and she has hundreds of thousands-maybe millions-of fans. I think she is the only horse in the modern era to exert this kind of influence. She should get an award for that. And I will look forward to watching the Derby prep races on NBC-a few years ago, I would have just watched the Derby itself-plus the Preakness and Belmont. Kudos to Zenyatta!
    You have described my experience exactly. I guess I kind of knew there were other races, but since they weren't on TV I never knew about them, although I had at least heard of the Wood Memorial and the Santa Anita Derby, probably because horses in the Triple Crown races were often mentioned as having won one of them. Since discovering Zenyatta, I have watched some of the other races. I'm lucky that we have a cable channel in the LA viewing area that covers Santa Anita races and shows other races from all over the country in between SA races. I watch mostly to see the horses.

• It would be nice if NBC broadcast it on their network station instead of NBC Sports. I remember the days when there was a race or 2 on TV every weekend, long before cable or satelite. Back when race coverage actually was about the horses and not the celebrities and food. I even remember listening to the races on the radio and not XM radio either.