Race Day Medications

rbruenrbruen Member
Clean Horse Racing.com has a new list out of owners and stables who pledge to race 2 year olds without race day medications. I was wondering where the Mosses stand on this issue, since they and John and Dottie are the most compassionate owners we know.

Comments

• cathycathy Member
    That is an interesting question, since they didn't run Zenyatta until late, and after she had basically matured, but the Mosses have the resources to wait on a race horse, they breed, raise, train and race there horses. They love them and treat them as individuals which a lot of owners don't or can't do, do to the basic economics of the sport. If pressed the Mosses might answer your question, but actions speak louder than words, and I don't think the Mosses have anything to do drugging their horses, leagally or otherwise. Otherwise they could have leagally drugged Zenyatta, to run earlier than she did.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    I interesting tidbit I read today there was an athlete in the Olympics who was banned from competing because a drug test revealed she had taken furosemide ( the tech name for Lasix). If it is illegal in human athletes shouldn't it be illegal in animal athletes?
  • Didn't Bob Baffert say if Lasix is banned that he would advise his clients to sell their broodmares because racing will not survive? I don't understand any of this really, but so many well known trainers use Lasix. I am really interested in you guys that know way more than me explaining it. Just the part about Lasix confuses me and I do agree if humans can't use it legally, why can horses? I just want to learn!
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    Lasix is a diuretic that is used to stop a horse from bursting blood vessels during a race. The problem isn't the medication itself but the overuse of it. Horses are raced on it from the time they are two to the time they retire without first finding out if they need the medication, it is just automatically administered. Some have theorized that it gives horses an extra advantage over horses not taking the meds.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    The United States and Canada I believe are also the only two countries that allow horse to run on race day on Lasix. Europe and Asia both have race day bans.

Also the use of Lasix became widely popular in the 1970s in the United States. We talk about today's modern American thoroughbred and how we are breeding unsound stallions and producing unsound foals. This could also be said for bleeders. If a horse can not run at peek performance without needing a drug to control a physical ailment, then should that horse be used for breeding?

And as EriNC said, there are arguments and studies in motion to test the theory that horses on Lasix are in fact running at a competitive advantage to horses not on the drug, which is a can of worms in and of itself.
  • EriNC and Zenyen, thank you so much! I wasn't even sure what Lasix was used for in horses. I agree the breeding issue of unsound stallions is insane to me and the breeding of bleeders never occurred to me! Thank you both!
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Lasix, (Salix in horses), or furosemide is a diuretic. It is used to remove excess fluid from the body, especially in patients with congestive heart failure (humans, small animal) and to prevent exercised induced pulmonary hemorrhage in horses.
    it's believed that the cause of EIPH is stress failure of the pulmonary capillaries, causing subsequent hemorrhage. It is suspected that the rupture of pulmonary capillaries occurs because the pressure difference across the pulmonary capillary wall exceeds the mechanical strength of the capillary wall. There is therefore interest in reducing the pressure difference across the pulmonary capillary membrane in an effort to reduce EIPH.
    The mechanism(s) causing high pulmonary capillary pressure during exercise likely include: high cardiac output associated with intense exercise, lack of sufficient pulmonary vascular vasodilation, and increased blood viscosity during exercise.
    So far, the only treatment that has been shown to be effective for decreasing the occurrence of EIPH is furosemide.

This information is from a paper presented 11 years ago, entitled MANAGEMENT AND PHARMACOTHERAPY OF EXERCISE-INDUCED PULMONARY HEMORRHAGE IN HORSES
    presented at the Proceedings of Second World Equine Airways Symposium, Scotland 2001

I paraphrased it to simplify. If anyone wants to read the PDF file, message me with your email, and I'll send it to you.
  • KathyRKathyR Member
    Lasix is also banned in Australia.