The Future of Black Caviar

I'm sure the majority of you know that the fate of Black Caviar's future is still in discussion with her owners and her trainer. I personally think that she has shown her valor many times over, and should be retired. But I'm curious, what does everyone else think?

Comments

• She should be retired. I just hope the Australians keep her and not sell her to Japanese interests.
  • MaxMax Member
    BC is one of the great ones. She is well loved and cared for by her owners and her trainer. I would like to see her race again, but fate will decide. She certainly has nothing to prove on the track and has earned a comfortable retirement. However some horses just love to race. Nelly might be one of them. Mac Love is still racing and winning in England at 11 years. Musketier still races at 10 at Woodbine. A dressage horse in the Olympics is competing at 26! It all depends on the horse.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I remember an article about Musketier last year...owners willing to give him richly deserved retirement ....but he wanted to keep running....so owners and trainer are letting the horse decide ....won stakes this yr....and he is beautiful doing what he loves
  • The feeling over here is that she has run her last race. In fact a lot of folk believe that she was lucky to win in Adelaide, and if Hay List had been fit (he has had a lot of issues what with bone chips, colic etc.) he would have likely beaten her over the last few starts. If they keep racing her, they run the risk of failing against some of the younger starters. Personally I think the connections should have sent her to the UK as a swan song, let her retire after either a win or a loss, and they could have had the option of choosing a European stallion for her first partner. I think that's why Zenny's last race was handled so well by all her team. But she certainly will not be sold to go overseas!
  • I love Nelly so much and I wouldn't mind at all if she is retired. Agree with Max that she has nothing to prove!
  • She should be retired. I just hope the Australians keep her and not sell her to Japanese interests.
    I doubt they would sell a mare of her prestige and caliber ....She's become a national symbol for the Australians.
  • Just relax people - she will never leave Australia. Not even to go to New Zealand!! Seriously, nobody here would even contemplate selling Nelly: the most that would happen would be a lease arrangement with one of the big studs here - like Vinery (one of her connections - Peter Wherrett - is involved with them) or Coolmore, for example. But enough already with this idea that she would leave here again for overseas. The boyfriends will just have to come to her.

• I love Nelly and I wouldn't mind at all if she is retired. Agree with Max that she has nothing to prove.
  • I think her connections should retire dear Nelly, and let her just be a horse now.
    Max is right. She has nothing to prove, and she should go out sound and healthy.
  • Just heard an interview by Andrew Bensley (Skysports radio) with Peter Moody (Thursday 9 August). Peter has been to see Nelly in the last few days, and reported that all her tissue injuries are fully recovered, and he was delighted to see her totally relaxing in the paddock - including rolling in the mud! He also said that the connections will be back in the country on the weekend, so will convene with them next week to discuss the future. Andrew also asked about Voila Ici. Peter said he is doing very well, and is looking forward to the spring Ici has shown none of the funny little habits he had in training in the UK. So fingers crossed for the right decision regarding Nelly!!
    I think Nelly should get a vote!
  • Well, voting is compulsory over here in Australia, so maybe that's not such a silly suggestion Carol!!
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Just heard an interview by Andrew Bensley (Skysports radio) with Peter Moody (Thursday 9 August). Peter has been to see Nelly in the last few days, and reported that all her tissue injuries are fully recovered, and he was delighted to see her totally relaxing in the paddock - including rolling in the mud! He also said that the connections will be back in the country on the weekend, so will convene with them next week to discuss the future. Andrew also asked about Voila Ici. Peter said he is doing very well, and is looking forward to the spring Ici has shown none of the funny little habits he had in training in the UK. So fingers crossed for the right decision regarding Nelly!!
    Not saying that what you heard isn't correct, Kathy, but I find it hard to believe that muscle tears are healed that quickly. Unless perhaps they were adhesions that tore. I just know that soft tissue injuries take a lot longer to heal than bone breaks.
    Just relax people - she will never leave Australia. Not even to go to New Zealand!! Seriously, nobody here would even contemplate selling Nelly: the most that would happen would be a lease arrangement with one of the big studs here - like Vinery (one of her connections - Peter Wherrett - is involved with them) or Coolmore, for example. But enough already with this idea that she would leave here again for overseas. The boyfriends will just have to come to her.
    Do the stallions travel to the mares in Oz? Here, the mares travel to the stallions then go back home.
    We were talking somewhere on site that most horses will tell you when they want to quit....for example Musketier is only 10yr...
    his owners were going to retire him in style....but he let his owners and trainer know he was not ready for a "rocker" yet...they are letting him run....has a stakes win this yr....thought Nelly might also have a mind of her own ....would have to to accomplish what she has...
  • Casey: My remark regarding boyfriends going to Nelly was in jest: the mares certainly travel to the stallion here. Peter Moody referred to a whole range of treatments the mare has been getting since the return from England. That treatment started in quarantine, and Peter did indicate that the injuries Nelly had were no different to what she has experienced in the past, and that they were not as severe as some that had occurred early on in her racing career. I agree with you that these sort of injuries are really tricky to heal, which is why I think she should be allowed to retire after all she has given us - I would just hate to see her go out with an injury. Regarding Carol's comment, I think Nelly is telling us she has had enough - folk over here feel she just doesn't look as happy at the track as in the past. So I really hope they just let her become a Mum and spend a wonderful life at whatever farm she would be retired to. And by the way, Carol, you come from a really beautiful State - just loved the Parks (especially Zion) when we visited there (I also loved a lot of other places too!!)
    Okay, thanks Kathy for clarifying about the mares. I'm glad you understood my concerns about her being "healed" already. I, too, think it's time for her to retire- she has nothing left to prove, and her body will not heal as quickly as she ages....I can attest to this...creak, creak
  • I'd love to see her retire and become a wonderful mother to all her sons and daughters.
  • I'd love to see BC beat Rapid Redux's record for most wins in a row...I mean records are meant to be broken...right?
  • Casey - glad I'm not the only one who creaks when she moves - I have to remind my dog on our morning walks not to go so fast - after all, he has four legs and I've only got two (and unreliable ones at that!). But I'm really, really hoping the connections do a Team Z and retire her!
    I'd love to see BC beat Rapid Redux's record for most wins in a row...I mean records are meant to be broken...right?
    not at the risk of the horse's safety. Rapid Redux was also not anywhere near Nellie's caliber, or Zenyatta's. It doesn't take away from his record, but it was almost at the cost of his well-being.
    Casey - glad I'm not the only one who creaks when she moves - I have to remind my dog on our morning walks not to go so fast - after all, he has four legs and I've only got two (and unreliable ones at that!). But I'm really, really hoping the connections do a Team Z and retire her!
    Wouldn't that be lovely- then we can ooh and aahh at Nellie's and Zenny's foals at each other's springtimes! (seriously, we'd have babies all the time- just as one is being weaned, the other is being born!)
  • Excellent thought Casey - hope the decision is made very early next week so we can all relax. Enjoy your weekend - it's a beautiful early spring day here in Canberra!
    it's a hot humid summer day here in So. California..... Someday, I'll get to Oz and see it....
  • I suspect we'll get some of that hot and humid stuff all too soon Casey - just hope the bush fires stay away. Anyway, I'll put in a prayer for some cooler stuff for you!