The Future of Black Caviar

Comments

• I do hope Nellie is retired, she is another grand dam of racing, just like Zenyatta was, she has earned the right to tall grass and babies at her side. On another note we here in Oregon are experiancing 90+ degree weather, which sucks, I thought when we left central California, we would leave that nasty stuff behind, but it seems to have followed us here, Oh blast. oh pooh, it sucks, because we are getting the humidity that I remember from Ok and Texas when I was showing horses there. Double Yuck
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    and I'll put in a prayer for no bush fires for you!
  • No chance of bush fires in a apart complex, but say a prayer for our friend Mike who is a firefighter here in Oregon, he has been in several nasty situations in the last year and one just a week ago, he needs our prayers and I continue to give them for him on a daily basis.
  • Casey and Cathy: Maybe a double lot (or triple) of prayers will sort out that filthy weather. Those firefighters certainly need a lot of them - they do an amazing job. No news yet on retirement for Nelly, but she was named Horse of the Year in Victoria overnight.
  • Of course she did! It's a piece of cake for her.
  • I'm writing this in tears. Typhoon Tracy, a seven-time Group 1 winner and former Horse of the Year and trained by Peter Moody died early this morning after delivering (safely) her first foal - a colt to Street Cry. She was one of my favourite horses, and seemed so happy in retirement - her owners are a truly lovely couple who visited with her regularly (like the Moss'). Anyway, all seemed well with the foaling, Tracy was looking fine, then, according to the stud, gave a groan and died. They have since discovered that she had burst an artery in the foaling process. So the poor little fellow is on his own, without a Mum to guide him into the world. As I say, this is really so sad. I've got to go and have a good cry.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    So very sorry....hopefully they can find the little one a good step-mom...sometimes things that happen just do not make any sense
  • Poor little guy, he alone will end up bearing the full weight of her legacy on his little shoulders.
  • Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear this. This makes me cry as well. So sorry for all her connections! I'm sure the precious little one will be well taken care of. RIP Typhoon Tracy!
  • MaxMax Member
    KathyR. Very very sorry to hear this. She was a beautiful and talented mare. It is a great loss. The poor little colt will be taken care of with a step mom. You might know Tasty Temptation who is Z's BFF. Tasty rejected her foal. Lane's End found a new mom for him who looked thrilled to have him as her baby. We all hope that that initial bond grew and prospered, and he is well and happy. I hope the same for Typhoon Tracy's little guy. RIP Tracy.
  • edited August 2012
    He'll certainly be a valuable one, her only child, and a son at that. Would make an interesting story, the true son of Typhoon Tracy. And he's by Street Cry! In a sense he is Z's half-brother! I'm sure he'll grow up big and strong.
  • Thanks for all the kind messages. I'm sure the folk at Vinery will look out for the little bloke, and I have to believe that he'll carry the colours for his Mum in the future. The owners will certainly love him lots. This is a piece from the Herald Sun.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/former-peter-moody-galloper-typhoon-tracy-dies-at-stud/story-fn67siys-1226449099430
    Casey and Cathy: Maybe a double lot (or triple) of prayers will sort out that filthy weather. Those firefighters certainly need a lot of them - they do an amazing job. No news yet on retirement for Nelly, but she was named Horse of the Year in Victoria overnight.
    I sure hope she was, and didn't have to wait 3 years like Zenny did.. Congratulations, Nelly!
    I'm writing this in tears. Typhoon Tracy, a seven-time Group 1 winner and former Horse of the Year and trained by Peter Moody died early this morning after delivering (safely) her first foal - a colt to Street Cry. She was one of my favourite horses, and seemed so happy in retirement - her owners are a truly lovely couple who visited with her regularly (like the Moss'). Anyway, all seemed well with the foaling, Tracy was looking fine, then, according to the stud, gave a groan and died. They have since discovered that she had burst an artery in the foaling process. So the poor little fellow is on his own, without a Mum to guide him into the world. As I say, this is really so sad. I've got to go and have a good cry.
    So, so sad. Just like with any birthing, it can happen, sadly. Prayers that the little guy makes it and they can get him onto a nurse mare soon.
  • I think she has earned retirement, and the whole world would anticipate her foals
  • Have just posted this on the horse racing fatalities piece
    Andrew Bensley talked with Vinery General Manager, Peter Orton regarding Typhoon Tracey's orphan colt. Peter described Tracey's death as the lowest blow he has experienced in his years in the industry, but said the cause of her death is not uncommon for maiden mares. The colt is doing particularly well, and has been put to a half Clydesdale mare they have used before, and who has taken well to the little fellow. He said that he is a good size and has a good length of leg, and they are very happy with him . He said the entire team is still in shock and very disappointed that with around 40 foals on the ground, they had the tragedy of losing Tracey. Gives one a lot to be grateful for though, with Zenny foaling so well, and now the successful weaning of her little boy, so I guess it's just time to look on the positive and for his future carrying his Mum's genius.
  • Have just posted this on the horse racing fatalities piece
    Andrew Bensley talked with Vinery General Manager, Peter Orton regarding Typhoon Tracey's orphan colt. Peter described Tracey's death as the lowest blow he has experienced in his years in the industry, but said the cause of her death is not uncommon for maiden mares. The colt is doing particularly well, and has been put to a half Clydesdale mare they have used before, and who has taken well to the little fellow. He said that he is a good size and has a good length of leg, and they are very happy with him . He said the entire team is still in shock and very disappointed that with around 40 foals on the ground, they had the tragedy of losing Tracey. Gives one a lot to be grateful for though, with Zenny foaling so well, and now the successful weaning of her little boy, so I guess it's just time to look on the positive and for his future carrying his Mum's genius.

Ah, the draft crosses....She'll be a wonderful mother to the poor little guy. And it really is a blessing that Mama Z had as easy of a time with foaling as she did....Hopefully it will stay that way.
  • MaxMax Member
    KathyR. Thanks for the update on the TT foal. Glad to hear that he has a step mom to look after him. Those Clydesdales are nice horses with good dispositions. Didn't they more or less built Australia?
  • Aww, I'm so glad he has a good mom! So sorry about her loss.
  • Max: The early settlers would certainly have a very difficult time in clearing the bush without the Clydesdales. Sadly they are a disappearing breed here (and I suppose elsewhere in the world) what with mechanisation etc. But some folk do keep them as "endangered" species and they still turn up at agricultural shows around the country, or pulling beer wagons. But what would man have done without the horse, when you think about it! All the more reason to treasure them. Regards, Kathy. Oh yes - I gather that the Nelly clan are STILL trying to decide which way to go!!
  • So sorry to hear about Tracy. Hope her little boy does well. So sad he'll never know his momma.
  • MaxMax Member
    KathyR. You are right about the Clydesdales. Most of them are in the US and Canada. They are great horses. Nelly's birthday is coming up this weekend. My neighbor is having a birthday party for her. Her grandchildren are thrilled at the prospect of celebrating a horse's birthday because they usually hold parties only for their cats and dogs. This is more exciting because they can watch her races. I am also having a party. Looking forward to the cake. Thank you, Nelly, and Happy Birthday.
  • Max. Now wouldn't that be a great way to celebrate her birthday - with a retirement!! (I'm so hoping to send vibes to the connections). Don't know if you were able to find any XXXX beer (it's from Queensland - they are a bit different up there - but then again Peter Moody is a Banana bender, so they do have some normal ones!). The states of NSW and Queensland play a peculiar brand of football called rugby league and the Queenslanders are known as the Cane Toads - because a toad of that description has become a pest up north. (I say peculiar because my husband supports Australian Rules football - as I do - and finds the other game very inferior - but I should also add that he supports Collingwood, the team that all the others love to hate). Anyway, I digress. Have a wonderful birthday celebration and very best wishes to your neighbour and grandchildren from here in Canberra.
  • Okay Max and Kathy R, lets keep this blog about Black Caviar and not about football, I have been a 49ers fan since the very early 70's when as a high schooler I baby sat for 2 of them. Yes, I understand the difference between your term for football and that in the US, but hey if you want to talk football contact me directly and we can have a blast discussing the differences, which are many and varied. Go 9ers.
  • Really hope she retires...Would love to follow her broodmare career! I'm sure she'd make a great mama.