The Future of Black Caviar

Comments

• Sorry Cathy: I think that comes from being married to a Collingwood fan. I promise to clean up my act and not mention it again. (I do like the outfits that the Cheeseheads wear though). Sorry, sorry. Promise. Won't happen again.
    Agree with Ruffian: am hanging out for retirement!
  • Hey I understand, I was raised on american football, in fact because of my association with the players on the level of a babysitter, my parents got season tickets to the 49er games and where lucky enough to win by draw tickets to 3 of their 5 Super Bowl appearances, like I said football in whatever form it takes is a great topic and I would be happy to discuss it one on one.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    if Nelly retires....then we can PACE PACE PACE for Z at the beginning of the yrs...and PACE PACE PACE for N in the middle of the yr....for those that do not understand that...lots of us wore out carpet and other floor coverings waiting for Z's first...can see not reason why would would not wear out more waiting for N's little ones
  • Very true Carol, very true. But just think of the saving on gym fees! AND what a joy when the little ones arrive! Must off to bed with my flu germs. Goodnight all.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    edited August 2012
    I hope she is retired as well, I also hope that today's weather is better in NC and I don't have to spend any more time in the crawl space with the animals( there was a reported tornado about 20 miles from my house) for those who don't know a crawl space is a very shallow basement, with a height of only about 3 feet, used for storage.
  • MaxMax Member
    Cathy. KathyR was just giving us some background on BC's trainer. I lost the drift of the conversation on football at Cane Toads. LOL. We are all here for news of BC. Happy Birthday, Nelly, and many more.
  • I apologise for getting off track from Nelly. I am aware that as an Australian I am a privileged visitor to the Zenyatta site, and I have learnt so much from very knowledgeable people about a variety of horse issues. Please put it down to quirky Australian humour - I certainly meant no offence to anyone. But I will stick to the issues in future. Oh, but I do have Eri in NC in my prayers.
  • It's okay ^^
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Max: The early settlers would certainly have a very difficult time in clearing the bush without the Clydesdales. Sadly they are a disappearing breed here (and I suppose elsewhere in the world) what with mechanisation etc. But some folk do keep them as "endangered" species and they still turn up at agricultural shows around the country, or pulling beer wagons. But what would man have done without the horse, when you think about it! All the more reason to treasure them. Regards, Kathy. Oh yes - I gather that the Nelly clan are STILL trying to decide which way to go!!
    Kathy- what's so neat is that the draft breeds are making a comeback in the states. I used to work at Disneyland with the draft horses, in fact had my favorite one retired to me to live out his life. They are the best horses, temperament, and willingness to work and so gentle. I put a friends little 3 year old on Buddy and we walked around. Buddy stopped at one point and wouldn't budge. I looked back and up at Jake and he was listing off to one side. Wish I'd had a camera. This is my favorite picture of him, while he still was "working".
    http://caseyp.smugmug.com/Family/my-kids-Buddy31992/24800312_8HD6T6#!i=2029828311&k=nnTMjgj
  • MaxMax Member
    KathyR. No need to apologize as you can say what you like. Your comments are always interesting and informative. I forgot to mention that I am serving champagne in honor of Nelly on her birthday. A horse who wins at Ascot deserves such a toast. My neighbor's grandchildren are also gearing up for the birthdays of Z and 12Z in addition to Nelly. They had run out of cat and dog birthdays. Now they can celebrate with very famous horses, carrot cakes.
    Casey. Thanks for the great picture of Buddy. He is a handsome guy. Those Clydesdales are just wonderful.
  • I thought about drawing a cute picture of Viola Ici trying (and failing) to swoon Nelly with his good looks....But I never got to it because I got very busy lol
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Max- the baby in the picture was my daughter before she turned 2. He had "known" her since conception, the first time he physically "met" her, he sniffed her all over, then sniffed me. In fact, he used to sniff my abdomen while I was pregnant. What you CAN'T see in the photo, is that he had just lipped her hair (it's standing straight up), she squealed and people around were screaming "he's going to trample the baby". Little did they now- he stood more square than any fancy dressage horse I've ever seen, never even flicked his tail. He was her 11th birthday present (hey, every little girl needs a pony, right?) Oh, and he's a Belgian, not a Clyde
  • Max- the baby in the picture was my daughter before she turned 2. He had "known" her since conception, the first time he physically "met" her, he sniffed her all over, then sniffed me. In fact, he used to sniff my abdomen while I was pregnant. What you CAN'T see in the photo, is that he had just lipped her hair (it's standing straight up), she squealed and people around were screaming "he's going to trample the baby". Little did they now- he stood more square than any fancy dressage horse I've ever seen, never even flicked his tail. He was her 11th birthday present (hey, every little girl needs a pony, right?) Oh, and he's a Belgian, not a Clyde
    Yeah, draft horses are mellow and sweet as can be. And I was about to say "That is a very Belgian-looking Clydesdale"
  • MaxMax Member
    Casey. Great story. He is like Zenny with hair styling. The picture is just perfect.
  • Casey - thanks for the lovely story and pictures - just delightful!
    Max: enjoy the Birthday celebrations - hugs to all!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Happy 6th Birthday, Black Caviar!
    There were lots of Aussie tweets. Here is one.891Weekends tweet
    Happy 6th Birthday to @blackcaviar2006 who was foaled on this day in 2006 #adelaide #891
  • Loved the photo and the comments. Drafts are coming back and we always go to the draft show at the Denver stock show. The are such awesome horses.
  • Brendan Cormick, writing in The Australian says: "Black Caviar is recuperating after receiving soft tissue injuries in her Diamond Jubilee Stakes victory at Royal Ascot in June. Further examinations will take place between now and late next month, which will determine whether the winner of 22 races from as many starts is able to enhance that record. Either Black Caviar will resume training coming into the summer period and begin what could be her last campaign in February or go directly to the breeding barn".
    This morning on Skyradio's Punters Postmortem, the boys discussed another report that the owners are still toying with the idea of continuing racing Nelly: Dean Lester, one of the panel, who has very good connections with the trainers, said he will only believe what Peter Moody has to say on the issue, since he is the one who would be bringing her into another campaign. So it still rolls on!
  • edited August 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They made a Breyer of her but it doesn't look like her, needs to be more muscular in the hind end
  • Have just heard an interview with Peter Moody by Andrew Bensley on Skysportsradio. Peter said his first inclination post the Ascot race was to retire Nelly, and he told the owners so, but he has seen her in the last few days, and reports she is bucking and enjoying herself in the paddock, and looks very good. He intends in September to put her into some work involving the water walker and various distances to see if she still has the interest in a racing career. Peter says he will know by how she responds to this period of light training, but if she has any lack of interest he will not hesitate to recommend she be retired to the breeding barn. Oh this waiting is getting too much!! (And sorry for the Herald Sun piece - it seems to be largely a repeat of the earlier one in the Daily Telegraph).
  • I think Moody made a good choice. Nelly is lucky to have him as her trainer, he is so kind to her.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    And so Nelly will get to decide.....yeah!