The Future of Black Caviar

Comments

• Nelly is a strong, independent mare(I am womem hear me roar), she should have the final say in her destiation, but I think she's feeling her oats and wants to show off to the big boys, my guess is that when they attempt to put her back in training, it will be a no go.
  • I'm not saying that...I'm saying I would love to see her continue racing I think everyone would but I know nobody want to race her if it will cause injury...that is my opinion too...I just worded it wrongly.
  • Good morning all. Just heard Peter Moody on Skysportsradio with Andrew Bensley and the boys. He confirmed that Nelly will come back into work Monday week, as Peter said, just so he can see whether she has any interest in being back under saddle, or no interest in training, in which case he will recommend retirement and a new career as a Mum. So it's getting close, and my fingers are firmly crossed that commonsense will prevail and they will let Nelly retire. Peter added that she is really, really happy in the paddock, which may or may not say anything, but I still think she wants a long rest. Enjoy your weekend!
  • I agree. The great mare deserves a happy retirement. It's a hopeless and very long stretch.....But maybe someday, Zen and Nell will cross paths and become friends?
  • Ruffian: I bet they already are - those two ladies are very smart, so I'm sure that they have managed to communicate in some mysterious way. (Anyway, that's what I like to dream!!).
  • MaxMax Member
    It appears that Moody and BC's people really care about her. Although retirement may be on the cards, if they decide to continue to let her race, that may not be such a bad thing. There are horses like Musketier who are still racing at 10 because they just love training and racing. Nelly might be that type of horse too. I wish the best for her whatever path she takes.
  • Let's hope for no more muscle tears too
  • What scares me is that BC loves her owners, trainer and the fans and she will try to do anything to please them. I think this last muscle tear should have told all those concernerd that she would keep on going to please them, I wish that they would stop for just a little bit, and understand that yes she could come back from this injury but is it really necessary for her to continue to prove what a great mare she is, maybe let her retire to the R & R she has truely earned
  • I'd just love to see her retire, and have cute "Little Nells" frolicking next to their wonderful mother.
  • Exactly
  • Cathy and Ruffian: I agree absolutely with you both! Here in Australia, most of the racing folk think she has nothing left to prove and should be allowed to retire with grace and dignity - NOBODY wants to see her "fail" - and especially because of injury on the track. But I'm afraid (and this will sound harsh) that some of the connections are in need of a wee bit of counselling to let her go - they seem to have heard the cheers and not be too happy to be without her. However, that said, they have a very, very, sensible and no-nonsense bloke with Peter Moody. He's a typical straight-talking Queenslander and will have no trouble staring the connections down if necessary. I've said before, I think they should have let Ascot be her swan song, but it wasn't to be. Just goes to show that class acts like the Moss' are few and far between. And, again, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm doing a Moody and calling it as I see (and hear) it. Peter has said earlier this week just how relaxed and happy Nelly is just being a horse - rolling in the mud etc. (? sound like someone we all know and love ??). So I'm just (still) keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Take care with that nasty weather you're having over there. Cheers, KathyR.
  • KathyR you are much closer to the action than we are, and I understand Nellies connections to try, try again. Peter Moody sounds like a New Yorker where I was born, tough no nonsense and just maybe what is best for the horse. I would love to see Nellie come back if that is truely what she wants, but if she is having so much fun rolling in the mud, I don't think she really wants to, so many problems can arise after a soft tissue damage, especially when you have a horse like Nellie with a strong desire to win. God I don't want to see her break down on a track like Ruffian or Barbaro, and I saw both, and both broke my heart. I would prefer to see her frolicking in the grass with a foal by her side.
  • Cathy - it broke my heart to see Barbaro and I've gone through the same pain with other horses I've loved here, so I guess that's what is really motivating me in wanting Nelly to retire. And, with the recent loss of Typhoon Tracy in foaling, I'm aware that nasty stuff happens even in safe retirement. But all that said, the connections will know what a wonderful ride they have had with the mare, and to me that's all the more reason to respect and cherish her and just let her go. Putting my trust in Peter again, I do believe (as he does) that she will have the last word. It's just getting hard to go through this waiting period.
  • KathyR none of us are God, we can't predict if the best thing for Nellie would be to retire her or let her continue to race. Both aspects have there upside and there downside, many good and bad things could happen whatever road is taken. Like I said before, bringing her back to the track frightens me more than seeing her retire and be a mum, and I think like Zenyatta, Nellie will take to being a broodmare, I really think she wants those babies, it's too bad that horses can't talk like Mr. Ed, then we would know for sure what she wants. P.S., I may be dating myself, because you may not remember MrEd
  • Oh Cathy, a horse is a horse of course of course etc. etc.!! I am so with you on this, and we are obviously of the fine wine vintage (improving with age to those younger folk). As you wisely say, we are not God, but I'd like to think we can give him a bit of a nudge when it comes to some of his creations! I'm off to make dinner - have a great evening, and talk soon. Best wishes from Canberra.
  • KathyR, it's 3am here, I know the UK is 8hrs ahead, what time is it where you are? I love talking to you so to speak, because I do think we speak the same language, so glad to see someone understand MrEd, not many I've spoken to before had a clue. Oh well, they also didn't understand Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Trigger and so on and so forth. Yes, I think we are both like a fine Cabernet we improve with age.
  • Cathy, it's 8.19pm, Sunday evening here. I'm a bit worried that you are STILL up at 3am!! You've reminded me of some lovely old TV with Roy etc. I was a big fan of Zorro and my first introduction to the US was reading My Friend Flicka and the following books - in fact it was one of the reasons that we both visited the US in 1979 taking Greyhound through some of the states. By 1984 I'd got bitten by the Civil War but (which I still have) and went on a slightly different direction. But I still tell my husband, if I wasn't an Australian, I'd be an American. So God bless America to all you good folk, and please, Cathy, GO TO BED!!
  • Don't be worried, I'm disabled, and once I take my meds, I'll be down for 10-12hrs, I don't like to take them and I would rather have several discussions going on this web site than trying to sleep. You see I need a double hip replacement, not a fun thing, I can deal with the pain, but not the groginess of the meds the doctors recommend or prescribe. Which is why I don't take them daily. I guess that makes me a tough woman. Not really, Like I said dealing with the pain is easy, since I've been doing so for the last 5yrs. It is so fun to find someone here that remembers all the heros of my youth, or at least you are the only one to this date that will acknowlege that you remember
  • Cathy, I would like to put just how I feel for your condition in true Aussie vernacular, but I think it would lose a lot in translation. We have a friend who went through such a procedure, and has recovered very well - so I pray that the same can come to you. I'm afraid that my words are very feeble in a situation like this, and I can sympathise with the deadliness of the medication. If it gives you any peace, I'm with you in spirit, way down here, and I want you to have as relaxing time as you can. I'm off to bed now, but I promise you that my thoughts will be willing you a peaceful morning, and the joy of new communications tomorrow. Talk to you soon! Best thoughts, KathyR.
  • I named myself "RebornRuffian12" not just in honor of Zenyatta....But also in honor of Black Caviar. I give them that name because they showed the same fire, will to run, power, and beauty that she once had. However, not once did I wish for either of them to have such an untimely and painful death as she did. I Sincerely hope they retire her, if they are putting the horses' interests before themselves....That should be no problem.
  • What a great way to honour a magic horse! And I do hope you are right in the connections putting the horses' interests first - I feel comfortable that Peter will do that, just hope he can "bully" the connections that way.
  • What a great way to honour a magic horse! And I do hope you are right in the connections putting the horses' interests first - I feel comfortable that Peter will do that, just hope he can "bully" the connections that way.
    Peter Moody loves his mare, I trust him in his opinion (considering he's far more of an expert than I am, and he knows Nelly better than all of us)... Let's hope Nell's connections will listen to him if he says no more.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ruffian: I've just looked up your namesake - I apologise for my ignorance, I'd not heard of her, but can understand why she made such an impact - she's magnificent! I was interested to read some of the pieces comparing her tragic death with Barbaro - I think it's good that we now have no problem in grieving for such wonderful equine athletes. She is just beautiful though. And Pati, I'm hanging on Peter to know and do the right thing by Nelly!
  • Ruffian: I've just looked up your namesake - I apologise for my ignorance, I'd not heard of her, but can understand why she made such an impact - she's magnificent! I was interested to read some of the pieces comparing her tragic death with Barbaro - I think it's good that we now have no problem in grieving for such wonderful equine athletes. She is just beautiful though. And Pati, I'm hanging on Peter to know and do the right thing by Nelly!
    It's okay, I only learned of her existance a few years ago. What few people remember is that, she broke down in the lead. I certainly hope Nelly will never meet the same fate.