The Future of Black Caviar

Comments

• Ruffian: I think one of the problems with champions is that they do give their all, and therefore are more at risk of serious injury. Some of the really brave ones do the same - just this weekend at Moonee Valley near Melbourne, a classy filly called Our Miss Jones fought it out for a gutsy finish, and was pulled up quickly by her jockey, who wasn't happy with how she felt on passing the post. She was diagnosed with a fractured pelvis, and (luckily) will be out for some time. I thought the jockey was terrific the way he got off her so fast, and got quick help from the clerk of course in helping get Miss Jones back to the stable. But it's not good to see.
  • Ruffian: I think one of the problems with champions is that they do give their all, and therefore are more at risk of serious injury. Some of the really brave ones do the same - just this weekend at Moonee Valley near Melbourne, a classy filly called Our Miss Jones fought it out for a gutsy finish, and was pulled up quickly by her jockey, who wasn't happy with how she felt on passing the post. She was diagnosed with a fractured pelvis, and (luckily) will be out for some time. I thought the jockey was terrific the way he got off her so fast, and got quick help from the clerk of course in helping get Miss Jones back to the stable. But it's not good to see.
    I'm glad she was able to make it to her stable. And yes, horses give every ounce of what they have, even if it's to much for them to handle. And unfortunately all it can take is a simple little mistep to determine the fate of a horse. I think in this instance, it's good that Nelly is a sprinter, because the longer the distance....The more time for things to go horribly wrong.
  • And for all his fans, here's the latest on Voila Ici:
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/peter-moody-weighs-up-memsie-stakes-start-for-italian-galloper-voila-ici/story-fn67sphz-1226459348869. Cheers, KathyR. (PS. Peter looks pretty snappy too!)
  • No NO DON'T put her back on the track!
  • They worry me, too! I'm not keen to see her back on the track. Maybe she looks so good because she IS resting! I really want to see her retired safely!
  • She looks good because she is HAPPY. Why else would she look good??
  • Exactly!!
  • edited August 2012
    Exactly!!
    I just have a bad feeling about this...I mean..... I just have a feeling she could get seriously hurt in her next race IF she has one. Which is why I'm strongly against her coming back to the track.
  • I hate to say it, but I do too. As you know, something about those beautiful dark fillies! I don't know, but I just feel like she should retire and have babies! Unfortunately I think we are in the minority! She may be fine, but. she's too special to risk, in my opinion!
  • edited August 2012
    I hate to say it, but I do too. As you know, something about those beautiful dark fillies! I don't know, but I just feel like she should retire and have babies! Unfortunately I think we are in the minority! She may be fine, but. she's too special to risk, in my opinion!
    I agree..... I just don't think a try at 23 wins is possibly worth her life over.
  • Louise and Ruffian: Like you guys, I've got a bad feeling about this one too. I just keep hoping (and praying) that my faith in Peter is not misplaced, and that he is just letting the connections talk it out, keep getting their (and sorry if this sound harsh) ten minutes of fame, and that commonsense will prevail. I mean, it's all very well anticipating lots of foals when they are risking Nelly for what? I've just got to hang onto that hope.
  • KathyR and Ruffian, I keep hoping and praying, too. I hate to sound like such a "Debbie downer", but they sure wouldn't want the kind of fame they would get if something bad happened! I love this beautiful girl so, so much and I want her making little Nelly's! And to rest and enjoy life. She has earned it! Such a champion!
  • edited August 2012
    I hope Peter makes the right decision too. He always has, and hopefully still will. And I think in some cases the connections are just not willing to let her go....And I'm starting to think even if it costs her they aren't willing to let her go. I just don't want to witness a "Ruffian" incident in my lifetime....I would cry without end if she broke down like that. It's a thought that I cannot bear thinking of but it is entirely possible if they put her back in the ring.
  • Well, Louise, Ruffian and KathyR(hey I'm back and doing great), we all agree about that bad feeling, because we all know that BC will give it her all if she's asked to come back, but again, WHAT DOES SHE HAVE TO PROVE, pardon my yelling, but I'm trying to get her owners to hear me not members of this blog.
  • edited August 2012
    Cathy, you are very right. But I think even if all of us holler as loud as we can to retire her, it will simply be deafened by the amount of people wishing her to return to the track.
  • What's scary about that is these people have probably never had to deal with a horse breaking down, or putting a horse down in the horses own best interest, or any of the other day to day problems that arise in owning a champion racehorse, showhorse or whatever. It hurts when you have to do that, especially if you have the horses wellfare at heart and aren't mindful of the money. I've had to do it more than once and sometimes it still tears me apart. Hey, I'm only human and very human at that.
  • One thing in favour of retirement, is that I've not heard (or seen) many comments in favour of a return. If you want to be really hard, and look at it from the gambling point of view, no-one has been making anything on Nelly for a long time, what with the odds she races at. So maybe that will have an influence on the connections. But I'm a great believer in the power of prayer, so...... (and glad you're doing great, Cathy!).
  • edited August 2012
    I would fall apart if Nelly died. She's an irreplaceable horse, and should live the longest life she can. Her owners should let her step down from her throne and let her progeny take her place. I just don't want to see my most favorite girl die.
  • I'm feeling a bit depressed about all this (actually, more than a bit). I'm going out into the garden to rip a few weeds out and try and get rid of this awful frustration. Talk soon.
  • Just a silly thought: I don't suppose Ann Moss would like another beautiful mare?? Just hoping.
  • Just a silly thought: I don't suppose Ann Moss would like another beautiful mare?? Just hoping.
    Strangely enough I'm hoping for that to! Lol. Wouldn't it be cute to see Z and Nelly out in the paddocks together with their little ones? Just a hope. I'm sure she'll never set foot outside Australia after she's retired.
  • Actually that is not out of the realm of possibilities, the Mosses tend to raise, run and breed mares, If Nellies owners contacted them, they just might come to some agreement, now it the Mosses owned Nellie she would be in good hands, I'm not saying she's not in good hands now, but I think she would be in better hands if she went to someone like the Mosses, who would cherish her as a mommy
  • But would the Mosses really go that far out of their way? Even for such a splendid mare as Nelly?
  • RebornRuffian12, considering what they have spent on yearlings over the last few years at various sales, I don't think they would be going out of their way, BC is not an unknown entity on the track, yes she is as a broodmare, but wasn't Z the same way before she had Z12? BC is a STAR, granted that is no reconmendation as a broodmare, but I think BC and Z are alot alike, they've done their stint in the racing world and now they just want to be mommies.