Weekly Racing Discussions/Links/Videos

Dear Everyone,
Thought it would be nice to have a place to come for updates on weekly racing, who's who for the week (fillies/mares; gelding/stallioons); how they are doing; post videos/links etc... We can dialog about the races, things that occur during the races and our love for all the horses and of course Zenny.

Comments

• Friday at Santa Anita second race=Sister Moon, Mr. and Mrs Moss / J W Sadler/ Joel Rosario. It's a small field and Sister Moon is post position 3.
  • Dear Everyone,
    Thought it would be nice to have a place to come for updates on weekly racing, who's who for the week (fillies/mares; gelding/stallioons); how they are doing; post videos/links etc... We can dialog about the races, things that occur during the races and our love for all the horses and of course Zenny.
    Sign:

Two races for three year olds at Turfway Saturday, 3/24/12. The Rushaway and The Spiral. Hugs, JB

• Hansen is no longer going to the Wood. He is pointed to the Bluegrass.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68278/change-of-plans-hansen-to-blue-grass
  • LegendsDancerLegendsDancer Member
    edited March 2012
    Bernie's Boy, Alpha, re-routes to Wood Memorial. Hugs, JB

http://www.drf.com/news/hansen-likely-run-blue-grass-alpha-re-routes-wood-memorial

• Good Luck to Royal Delta in Dubai.
    I like her trainer so very much and was so pleased when Royal Delta's new owner
    said she was to stay with Mr Mott.
  • I want Royal Delta to win as well. I love the fillys. Game on Dude is my second choice. I wish Animal Kingdom were running though.
  • LegendsDancerLegendsDancer Member
    edited March 2012
    Dear Dani:

Sad to see him leave the Country. Hope he stays healthy. Hugs, JB

• MaxMax Member

Dear Dani:

Sad to see him leave the Country. Hope he stays healthy. Hugs, JB

<
  • MaxMax Member
    Judy. I miss Mo. He has no website any more and he never writes on his Facebook. He has a lot of fans who miss him too. Mo was fun. We are very lucky to have Z and her website.
  • Judy. I miss Mo. He has no website any more and he never writes on his Facebook. He has a lot of fans who miss him too. Mo was fun. We are very lucky to have Z and her website.
    Dear Max:

I hope he stays healthy. I'm worried about him and a bit surprised that MR decided to send him to Australia. Must have been monetary. What do you think? Hugs, JB
  • Good Luck Mo! Stay safe. I'm also sad that he will be leaving the states. Max, you are right we are very lucky to have this website.
  • I don't like that Mo is leaving the country. I know he will be in good hands but I still worry about him. I miss his posts on Facebook too. They were always so funny and the news was great to get. I thought with the website even if there were no real news about him that they could post new photos of him. They could also post news on his former stablemates. Thirsty is going to have a big summer. I'm sure everyone would want to hear about that. Oh well....
  • MKernMKern Member
    OMG! That is a long flight to Australia. I just hope it will not affect his health considering he was quite sick last year. Me too, I miss his amusing posts on facebook. Good luck Mo and stay safe!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited March 2012
    Ray Paulick on Twitter:
    Death of ex-@hollyparkracing owner Marjorie Everett this morning confirmed by one of her close friends. She was 90 years old.
    Interesting tweet from Ray Paulick
    Ms. Everett used her TV/movie star pals (Cary Grant, John Forsythe, Joan Collins) to outfox @santaanitapark to host inaugural @BreedersCup
  • Friday at Santa Anita second race=Sister Moon, Mr. and Mrs Moss / J W Sadler/ Joel Rosario. It's a small field and Sister Moon is post position 3.
    Sister Moon won her race. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Moss.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Horse infections shut down Saratoga harness racing
    By Hans Pennink, AP

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (AP) – New York regulators say Saratoga Raceway has suspended live racing until April 11 after several horses were diagnosed with a highly contagious bacterial infection.
    The Racing and Wagering Board said it learned of the Strangles infections Thursday and agreed Friday with the track's request to shut down harness racing. Strangles also is known as "equine distemper." The bacteria infect the upper respiratory system. It is rarely life-threatening.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/story/2012-03-23/horse-infections-suspends-saratoga-raceway/53741470/1
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Smith posted this on FB on Sat. 3/24
    The article is long, but an excellent read!
    Fear factor: How jockeys cope with injuries
    By Bill Christine
    Mike Smith, the 46-year-old Hall of Fame jockey who is close to his 5,000th career win, says that with each new serious hurt, a rider develops fears.

“We’re born with fear,” he said. “There’s no getting away from it. If a rider is not nervous before a big race, then he’s not ready.”

Smith is well equipped to speak to big races, having won 15 Breeders’ Cup races and three Triple Crown races. As for nerves, can you have the yips without having fear? Do five cases of nerves add up to one helping of fear? No matter how it’s sliced, no matter the length of the leap from one to the other, Smith says, “I use what I call nervousness in a positive way. It slows down any rush I might have and helps get me focused on the task at hand.”
    A series of interviews, with jockeys both active and retired, with jockey agents and psychologists, indicates that fear on the racetrack depends on whom and when. The common thread, however, is that jockeys know injuries are part and parcel with the game. The threat of a spill is tied to their fears, albeit in varying degrees. Laffit Pincay Jr., once the winningest jockey ever, said he was afraid for only two weeks, as a teenager during his salad days in his native Panama. Like a light switch, the sinking feeling disappeared and never visited him again. Patti Barton, the first female rider to win 1,000 races, said she could tell when another jockey was riding scared. She rode against several who were and had to make adjustments should those fears translate into tentative riding. Angel Cordero Jr., a Hall of Famer and the Grand Intimidator for three decades, once left the country because of a bad dream about a spill. Those who rode against him would never have believed it.
    http://www.drf.com/news/fear-factor-how-jockeys-cope-injuries
  • Did anyone watch NBC Sports Network's broadcast of the Bourbonette Oaks and Vinery Racing Spiral Stakes races? I thought it was great. I'm looking foward to the rest of their coverage of the road to the Triple Crown. Went the Day Well won the Spiral. He's from Team Animal Kingdom who won the same race last year before going on to win the Derby. Lots of parallels being drawn all of a sudden. They are going to race him one more time though as he is still a little green. In Lingerie won in a romp in the Bourbonette and could be headed to the Kentucky Oaks. Anyway the broadcast was very good and it's just too bad so many people don't get that cable channel.
  • Sorry Keta - I just saw you had started the topic on the forum already.
  • Mike Smith posted this on FB on Sat. 3/24
    The article is long, but an excellent read!
    Fear factor: How jockeys cope with injuries
    By Bill Christine
    Mike Smith, the 46-year-old Hall of Fame jockey who is close to his 5,000th career win, says that with each new serious hurt, a rider develops fears.

“We’re born with fear,” he said. “There’s no getting away from it. If a rider is not nervous before a big race, then he’s not ready.”

Smith is well equipped to speak to big races, having won 15 Breeders’ Cup races and three Triple Crown races. As for nerves, can you have the yips without having fear? Do five cases of nerves add up to one helping of fear? No matter how it’s sliced, no matter the length of the leap from one to the other, Smith says, “I use what I call nervousness in a positive way. It slows down any rush I might have and helps get me focused on the task at hand.”
    A series of interviews, with jockeys both active and retired, with jockey agents and psychologists, indicates that fear on the racetrack depends on whom and when. The common thread, however, is that jockeys know injuries are part and parcel with the game. The threat of a spill is tied to their fears, albeit in varying degrees. Laffit Pincay Jr., once the winningest jockey ever, said he was afraid for only two weeks, as a teenager during his salad days in his native Panama. Like a light switch, the sinking feeling disappeared and never visited him again. Patti Barton, the first female rider to win 1,000 races, said she could tell when another jockey was riding scared. She rode against several who were and had to make adjustments should those fears translate into tentative riding. Angel Cordero Jr., a Hall of Famer and the Grand Intimidator for three decades, once left the country because of a bad dream about a spill. Those who rode against him would never have believed it.
    http://www.drf.com/news/fear-factor-how-jockeys-cope-injuries
    Dear Keta:

Great article. Thanks. Hugs, JB
  • KetaKeta Member
    Steve Andersen of Daily Racing Forum tweeted
    Jockey Mike Smith won the 4,996th race of his career aboard the $40,000 claimer Close to the Edge ($7.40) in Saturday's 6th. #santaanita
  • Hi Everyone:

Here Went The Day Well winning the Spiral at Turfway Saturday 3/24/12. Hugs, JB

http://www.ntra.com/videos/index/view/MTI5Mw==