Mike Smith To Ride 12Z

mmbower5mmbower5 Member
edited August 2012 in Cozmic One
I can't wait till 12Z is on the track. My question is does anyone know if Mike will be aboard? Or if anyone knows if 12Z will have the same crew...with Mario and John?

Comments

• While I can appreciate the romanticism of such thinking, Z12 is not even 6 months old, this is getting a LOT ahead of the apple cart.

First Mike is 47 this yeah, that means he'll be pushing 50 by the time Z12 is a three year old. 50 is getting up there in age for a jockey, the body does not recover from those high speed falls as quickly.

Second not every trainer / grooms fits every horse. The Mosses have their horses with John Sherriffs and John Sadler, I'm not sure if they use any other trainers but both Sherriffs and Sadler are top notch trainers. After Z12 is broken and given his foundation, no doubt the Mosses will talk with the people who do his foundation work and then make the best decision to place Z12 in the barn that will help him thrive.

All the members of Team Z are professionals, top professionals and they came together as the perfect team for Zenyatta. But horses are individuals, they are not cookie cutter and the same exact formula is not going to work for every horse.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Look at Barbaro and Nicanor. Edgar Prado is a top jockey and he and Barbaro were an amazing partnership. Nicanor wouldn't run well for him.
  • It was just a question...and thank u for answering...and it absolutely right.
  • Who knows. Like some other folks said above, some horses run well for jockeys, and then some don't.
  • Mike is a top jockey who keeps in shape, even though he doesn't have to ride anymore(due to top horses and sound investments) he will continue to ride until he can no longer make the weight, or due justice to his mounts, he has a severe case of horse mania. But don't we all, as far as Z12 is concerned if he is able, he is in the running should Z12 make it to the track.
  • My guess would be whom ever gets him and rides him, will be famous..
  • Yeah definitely. That will definitely be a big discussion for the mosses.
  • Since this is about Mike riding Z12, when and if Z12 makes it to the track Mike would be 49/50, the only top jockey I remember strutting his stuff at that age was Willie Shoemaker, I'm not saying Mike couldn't do it, but is there any reason he needs to ride that long?
  • Since this is about Mike riding Z12, when and if Z12 makes it to the track Mike would be 49/50, the only top jockey I remember strutting his stuff at that age was Willie Shoemaker, I'm not saying Mike couldn't do it, but is there any reason he needs to ride that long?
    I think at that point it would be a matter of if Mike wants to continue to ride, not a matter of needing to continue to ride. He could retire right now and be all set, but some people just don't like the idea of being retired. I'm sure if he were given the chance, and was still riding when the time came, he would jump at the chance to ride Z12.

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Mike is a great jockey....I think he loves what he does....and will probably continue to ride as long as he can at maintain at the level he wants
  • Oops, somewhere along the way my original comment got lost, I stated that Mike said in some press conference that as long as he could make the weight and do justice to the horses he road, he would continue riding. Hey he's a hottie, and if I wasn't married for the last 17yrs to the love of my life, I would be hot on his tail. Hehehe.
  • Lmao!
  • He wasn't too hot on the idea of marriage. Chantel Sutherland....or maybe it was just her, idk lol
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    From what I've heard, the engagement was "encouraged" by the Jockey's show- Mike didn't want to do the show, Chantal did. Mike would like to get married, he LOVES kids (just look at some of his pics with little Madison). Chantal is married now, but don't know if she's ready to have kids, or if she even wants them.
  • I think there was a jockey name Johhny Longden or Longdon who was 59 when he retired. He went on to have a career as a trainer, and lived to be almost 100. Being a jockey is a tough job, and pound for pound, they're among the best athletes in the world. Mike Smith is in excellent shape, and to continue in the sport he loves, he'll have to keep working at maintaining the ability to ride a moving horse that weighs 1100 pounds, and is moving at 40 mph, all the while balanced on the balls of his feet on a thin metal strip, with only his ankles touching the sides of the horse. WOW! But if anyone can do it, he can! I'm a great admirer of jockeys and their skills.
  • Mike's resume' fills pages on Equibase. Probably one of the most approachable and charitable jockeys racing. Cannot recall another jockey out there who has made his love of all horses, not just those horses he's aboard, his priority and well known in his interviews. Note his interests on his FB page: Horse Racing and Keeping Fit. I hope he has many years- he says 4 or 5 - if he stays fit. Then I'd love to see him fill a chair on TVG or HRTV. No one smiles like he does.
    @Helen- you are so right. Mike is always approachable, he loves his fans, and most importantly (to me) he loves horses. He "gets" horses. They always do their best for him because they know he cares about them
  • Anyone know why Bob Baffert took Chantal off Game on Dude apparently for good? Just nosy of me, I know!
    Rafe is a better rider...
  • Thanks Casey and Pati!
  • Mike's resume' fills pages on Equibase. Probably one of the most approachable and charitable jockeys racing. Cannot recall another jockey out there who has made his love of all horses, not just those horses he's aboard, his priority and well known in his interviews. Note his interests on his FB page: Horse Racing and Keeping Fit. I hope he has many years- he says 4 or 5 - if he stays fit. Then I'd love to see him fill a chair on TVG or HRTV. No one smiles like he does.
    i believe he actually worked for them once when he was recovering from a back injury? That was when he was younger though.

• Anyone know why Bob Baffert took Chantal off Game on Dude apparently for good? Just nosy of me, I know!
    Baffert likes to play hot and cold with his jocks and the jockeys know that. And after Chantal placed second with him in a few races Baffert replaced her with another jockey. He then replaced him with Mike Smith.