The Green Monkey

EriNCEriNC Member
(bought for 16 million was a flop at the track) sired his first winner Kinz Funky Monkey. Here is the link:
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2012/09/01/first-winner-green-monkey.aspx

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    but he is awful pretty.....maybe be is kids will do better
  • I saw that race
  • Insane, paying 16 Million for a 2 year old....I think that 2 year old in training sale "cooked" him when he was "Breezed"...He is Beautiful to look at. He would make
    a lovely Show Horse!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2014
    10 of racing's most expensive flops
    Last Wednesday (May 21,2014) at 9:06pm by James Lamb on Punters.com
    1. The Green Monkey - $16 million (US)
    This colt became the most expensive racehorse ever sold at auction when purchased for a cool $16 million by Susan Magnier, Derrick Smith, and Michael Tabor back in 2006. He was out of the sire Forestry and the dam Magical Masquerade and had impressed in a jumpout prior to Sale. Unfortunately for the trio of owners he failed to live up to the hefty price tag and was retired as a maiden after three runs. The almighty flop went to stand at stud at Hartley/De Renzo Thoroughbreds for a fee of $5000 – that’s just 3,200 mares for The Monkey to service over the next 18 years or so…
    http://www.punters.com.au/news/10-of-racings-most-expensive-flops_130253/
  • How can they consider Jimmy a flop? A tragic end, but a flop....we will never know.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Thats what i said. The Green Monkey was a flop in the racing world, he only has 1 winner thus far, and she hasnt won since. But hes more a show horse sire now, so atleast he found success somewhere
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Did you mean one stakes winner ( a minor one but a stakes)? He has this year 15 starters and 8 winners. Not awesome but given the mares not bad either. And yes some of his warm blood offspring look and move fabulously!
  • RachelRachel Member
    he does? i only know of the one, Kinzy Funky Monkey
  • RachelRachel Member
    i think the reason he was sold for so high of a number is cuz people were trying to outbid eachother lol. he sure was a beauty then and still is
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2014
    How can they consider Jimmy a flop? A tragic end, but a flop....we will never know.
    Especially Horses & Rachel
    I agree. Jimmy did not get off to a great start. He died young.
    But, I did not write this article.
    I think his slant in writing this is-return on investment.
    On this list, there are a lot of great sires & a lot of great dams & a lot of money was spent for potential. None of the ten ever came close to returning what they cost-
    unlike California Chrome.
    Keta
  • Well..The Green Monkey was a flop on the tracks as mentioned by EriNC, Keta & wezzie earlier. He ran three times finished third once and fourth twice for trainer Pletcher. His total track earnings were $10,240.

The Green Monkey developed physical problems and injuries which restricted his training.

I guess besides breeding... they are trying to recoup some of their losses by having special tours to his barn to see him as "The most expensive horse sold in auction".

Right now as Rachel mentioned, his best offspring, Kinz Funky Monkey (b. 2010) so far has earned $119,652.

This link below is an old 2008 article so I wonder if they are still giving tours of The Green Monkey and for how much per tour?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-513861/Coolmores-16m-flop-Green-Monkey-tourist-attraction.html

The Green Monkey is a very handsome horse!
  • He sure is handsome!
  • Kinz Funky Monkey is running August 8th in the Daisycutter Handicap. She will be ridden by Martin Garcia. She is trained by Peter Eurton and owned by Always Believe Inc.
  • Ms. Green Monkey is running August 17th in a maiden claiming race for 2 year old fillies going 5 furlongs at Monmouth Park. She will be ridden by Nik Juarez. She is trained by Skip Einhorn and owned by Law Legacy Stables LLC.
  • Green Doctor is running August 23rd in a maiden special weight for 2 year old fillies going 6 furlongs at Woodbine. She will be ridden by Emma Jayne Wilson. She is trained by John LeBlanc Jr. and owned by Paul Mouttet.
  • Kinz Funky Monkey is running September 3rd in the C.E.R.F. Stakes at Del Mar. She will be ridden by Martin Garcia. She is trained by Peter Eurton and owned by Always Believe Inc.
  • Kind Funky Monkey finished 4th. She lost a photo for third. Apparently the name is pronounced Kinzy funky monkey
  • Green Doctor is running September 13th in the Natalma Stakes. She will be ridden by Jesse Campbell. She is trained by John LeBlanc Jr. and owned by Paul Mouttet.