Will the Mosses Keep Z12

cathycathy Member
edited September 2012 in Zenyatta
I'm probably starting this blog a little early, as I've only heard back from about half of my contacts. Those half have stated that the Mosses raise, own and race fillies/mares. I've also been advised in a couple of other blogs that the Mosses don't own ranch property. So, do you think we will see Z12 in next years Keenland Yearling Sales, or will the Mosses keep him for sentimental value(for lack of a better phrase)or until he's ready to race. Please note I would love to see the Mosses keep him, but I'm not sure, maybe that's one of the reasons they haven't named him yet.

Comments

• Hard to say. But I don't think that's the reason they haven't named him yet, although I guess it could be. I think I read somewhere that horses generally aren't named until they begin training, which won't be for another six or seven months in 12Z's case. In any case, he's an unknown quantity as far as racing ability goes, although just his pedigree makes him a valuable commodity as a racehorse. So, while it would be great if the Mosses decide to keep him, and I hope they do, horse racing, like it or not, is a business, and if the mosses only race fillies and mares, I guess it's a possibility. Please note I said "possibility", not probability.
  • I believe I read that the Moss's have stated they would never sell Z12. And while they do not have a 'farm' (= ranch in Calif :))), Z12 would be with a trainer while prepping for and while having a racing career. When time for a breeding job , he'd be placed with a commercial farm ie Lanes End, Gainesway, or like where Giacomo lives. And who knows? Maybe as time goes on, Jerry and Ann may want to have a farm/ranch. I'm not privy to their plans....
  • I know I read the Moss's are keeping 12Z! So no sales prep for him!
  • I expect Lanes End will take him in for stud duty when he (Z12) retires from racing.
  • the moss's do have a stud horse his name is Giacomo. He won the Kentucky Derby in 2005. Now , knowing how popular his mother and father both are, I highly don't expect to ever see a hip # on Z12. It don't matter how good he is on the tracks one day the mere fact of who his parents are is the key here. Remember , Storm Cat? not much money on the tracks but at one time he was the highest stud out there, he was getting $500,000. for every live foal standing and nursing.
  • Storm Cat was a grandson to Secretariat. His dam Turlingua lived to be 32 years old. like I said, Storm Cat didn't make much on the tracks but his grandfather was Secretariat. Now look at z12, his mother is zenyatta and his father is Bernadini. Yes, I'd say that if this fella don't do anything on the race tracks he'll definitely make up for it in the Stud barn.
  • 12Z will never be sold. I would be surprised if the Mosses sold any of Zenyatta's foals, unless they do it privately to someone they know, trust, and are very close to. Family, perhaps? Who knows, but 12Z, no way...
  • This is a very silly question. To the Mosses, it would be like selling their own grandson.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It was said awhile ago that they will NOT sell 12Z. It was in one of the blogs where they said, he'll never see the sales ring. I think it was one of the expert questions. I doubt that they would sale any of Zen's foals, she means too much to them and my oh my would Ann have a fit! lol
  • allelluia,I agree 100% about that! the human grandmother would have a fit those are her daughter and grandson.
  • We are getting way ahead of ourselves with speculation here.

The Mosses have already said they have no intention of putting Z12 through the sales' ring and for all the reasons people have already noted, he is a treasure simply by being Zenyatta's first born.

Will he burn up the track? There is simply no way of knowing that until he starts racing. So much can happen in training, it will be years before anyone knows if he will have the physical capability and the heart to want to run. Then there is simply no way to know what he'll be able to offer in the breeding shed. Sure he's royal on paper but genetics are a funny thing.

For right now let's simply focus on what we know; that Ann Moss is not about to see Z12 walk into the sales ring with a number on his hip.
  • Zenyen, you are so right. Ann loves all things Zenyatta, especially her firstborn.
  • I don't normally start a blog then not join in for almost 2 weeks, but my dad was in the hospital and then some jerks destroyed are WiFi system here at the complex. I don't think the Mosses will sell Z12 or any of Zenyattas foals thru a sales ring, but people change and circumstances change. What if he shows no interest in racing? Sure his bloodlines are great, but is that enough?
  • I don't normally start a blog then not join in for almost 2 weeks, but my dad was in the hospital and then some jerks destroyed are WiFi system here at the complex. I don't think the Mosses will sell Z12 or any of Zenyattas foals thru a sales ring, but people change and circumstances change. What if he shows no interest in racing? Sure his bloodlines are great, but is that enough?
    yes blood lines alone are enough. He could never race and still be a great stud.

• Sometimes it skips a generation. So Z12 could sire great runners, even if not one himself.
  • Found this old thread from 2012. Z12 (Coz) is a week away from being four, while I don't think he will ever be owned by anyone other than the Moss', I do wonder what they might be thinking about for his future should 2016 prove to be similar in results to 2015. Hard to imagine they would race a winless (should that turn out to be the case) five year-old.
  • Very good question!
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited December 2015
    They may own him and let some famous or well known equestrian personage train and compete him in jumping, dressage, or eventing, albeit unless he does show race prospects as a stallion.:)
  • *Lies in wait for trolls*
  • They may own him and let some famous or well known equestrian personage train and compete him in jumping, dressage, or eventing, albeit unless he does show race prospects as a stallion.:)
    I so wish that this would happen!
  • I think Mosses will pursue his best interests, albeit we hope he shows his stuff as racehorse. Kind of still hopeful.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2015
    Found this old thread from 2012. Z12 (Coz) is a week away from being four, while I don't think he will ever be owned by anyone other than the Moss', I do wonder what they might be thinking about for his future should 2016 prove to be similar in results to 2015. Hard to imagine they would race a winless (should that turn out to be the case) five year-old.
    Sorry to come into this thread without much horseracing knowledge of any kind. But perhaps, Cozmic One is a "very late bloomer". In researching past horses in other threads (Old Friends for example), I found a few successful racers that didn't start winning until they were 5 years old or older!

Criminal Type (1985c): Earned $2,351,817 (24 starts: 10 wins, 5 places, 3 shows). He didn't put out any recorded stakes wins until the year 1990 when he was 5 years old! He won the Metropolitan Handicap (G1), The Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap (G1), the Whitney Handicap (G1) the Pimlico Special (G1) and a couple of G2 wins: the 1990 San Antonion Handicap and the San Pasqual Handicap. He was the 1990 Horse of the Year and 1990 Champion Older Horse. He was the only horse to beat both Sunday Silence and Easy Goer!

Bluesthestandard (1997g): Earned $1,041,618 (47 starts: 19 wins, 9 places, 7 shows). He didn't win any stakes races until he was 6 years old! In 2003 at age 6: he won the Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (G2), and the Texas Mile Stakes (G3)...came in 2nd in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1). In 2004 at age 7: he won the Palos Verdes Handicap (G2), the Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (G2) for the 2nd time in a row! Sadly, his death was an unusual undocumented incident.

There are many more thoroughbreds that were not successful until their later years but the two above came to mind.

btw...I like the idea of Coz as a sports horse too! With his height, etc, he'd make mama proud if he were successful in dressage...dancing to music! With his long legs and endless stamina, he may be a good prospect for eventing as well! :oD

Otherwise, I can see Ann keeping him in her backyard where they can explore the riding trails in her area. I recall a discussion about Ann hinting to Jerry regarding these wonderful trails that are around the area where they lived. These were wonderful scenic trails, except sections of the trails are on private property...Hmmm, perhaps the thought of buying these certain properties to access these trails? A future plan for Ann perhaps?

• To be fair, Criminal Type did win his second race as a 2yo after coming in 2nd in his debut. A much more promising start than Coz. Bluesthestandard didn't start until the spring of his 4yo year, but he won his first three starts.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2015
    To be fair, Criminal Type did win his second race as a 2yo after coming in 2nd in his debut. A much more promising start than Coz. Bluesthestandard didn't start until the spring of his 4yo year, but he won his first three starts.
    Yes!...I was just listing stakes wins for these two racers and not all race starts. Just wanted to show that they bloomed to their full potential much later in their careers than most. :oD

But I hope Coz is just a very late bloomer. If not, then I would love to see him in the show ring or in eventing...or even steeplechasing/hurdling (except most steeplechasers/hurdlers are geldings :oP)...just remembering the late blooming McDynamo (1997g)...As a 5-year old, McDynamo found his niche as a steeplechasing champion who never amounted to much on flat racing although he did win a 1-1/2 miler as a 3-year old.
    From Amazing True Horse Stories:
    http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions#/discussion/comment/47620
    Related article from Bloodhorse:
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79791/hall-of-fame-mcdynamo-the-master