Bernardini

KetaKeta Member
Darley‏ tweeted
"I believe he’s the best sire in the country,” William Currin, on Bernardini that made $1.55m on day three of #KeeSep

Comments

• Bernardini colt bought by Coolmore for $1.55-million
    Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:50 PM
    by Joe Nevills
    The first seven-figure horse from Book Two at the Keeneland September yearling sale came during Wednesday’s third session when the Coolmore partnership dropped the hammer on a Bernardini colt for $1.55-million.
    The price is the second-highest of this year’s Keeneland September sale through the middle of the third session, trailing only Monday's session-topping $1.65-million Distorted Humor colt.
    The bay colt is out of Carson City mare Wilshewed, who has produced four winners from five to start. He is a half-brother to Grade 1 winner Stormello, who stood at Vinery in Lexington prior to his death in 2011, and recent Grade 2 winner My Best Brother. His notable family members include Grade 3 winner The Pamplemousse, Australian Group 2 winner All Bar One, and Italian Group 1-placed Saudi Desert.
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sales-news/2012/09/12/coolmore-buys-seven-figure-bernardini-colt.aspx
  • It's always a good thing to doublecheck info. Here is a good example:
    Darley‏ tweet
    Bernardini's colt o/o Double Date, hip 709, goes to Mark Casse for $435k at Keeneland
    Thoroughbred Times‏ tweet
    Hip 709, a Bernardini filly, brings hammer down at 435K
    Keta Note: Colt it is
  • He has some very good looking offspring....Makes me wonder what 12Z will look like when he fully matures.
  • RebornRuffian12 (love your name)
    12Z seems to have so many Z characteristics-but he is young.
    It will be interesting watching him bulk up & grow.
    He may ending up looking more like Bernie with Zenny's personality.
    That's part of the fun of breeding!
    Saw your Sorry post. You are doing so great here & posts are good.
    It is okay to have an opinion that is not the same as someone else-that is good!
    Hugs,
    Keta
  • Thank you Keta! ^^ And actually, I see a little bit of both in them, sort of like the perfect combo of Bernie and Zenny.
  • There's a recent pic of baby z and buddys drinking water in the ask the experts
  • His best friend is looking handsome as he grows
  • KetaKeta Member
    When thinking about Z12 and all the possibilities, here are some interesting facts
    about Bernardini. 2006 was the only year he raced. But, what a year he had!
    He won Withers Stakes April 29, Preakness Stakes May 20,
    Jim Dandy Stakes July 29 , Travers Stakes August 26,
    Jockey Club Gold Cup October 7, Breeders Cup Classic November 4.
    Plus he ran in 2 Maiden races in January & March. 4th and then a 1st
    This is one impressive list of wins.
    It also shows his endurance & soundness racing almost monthly that year.
    Hugs, Keta
  • When thinking about Z12 and all the possibilities, here are some interesting facts
    about Bernardini. 2006 was the only year he raced. But, what a year he had!
    He won Withers Stakes April 29, Preakness Stakes May 20,
    Jim Dandy Stakes July 29 , Travers Stakes August 26,
    Jockey Club Gold Cup October 7, Breeders Cup Classic November 4.
    Plus he ran in 2 Maiden races in January & March. 4th and then a 1st
    This is one impressive list of wins.
    It also shows his endurance & soundness racing almost monthly that year.
    Hugs, Keta
    Bernardini actually got second in the BCC to Invasor ;)
  • I didn't realize he only raced one year. That's interesting.
  • KetaKeta Member
    msnap12
    Bernardini actually got second in the BCC to Invasor ;)

You are right. Got distracted and forgot to add that.
    Considering the time between the Jockey Cup & the Breeders Cup,
    a 2nd is amazing.
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    Breeders Cup Classic 2006 - Invasor
    Uploaded on Nov 5, 2006
    Now at horseracingfans.net. Invasor wins the Breeders Cup Classic Championship, ending Preakness winner Bernardini's six-race winning streak. The Argentina-bred horse was previously raced in Uruguay where he won that country's Triple Crown. Invasor's jockey Fernando Jara is the youngest to win the Belmont Stakes (on Jazil this year), and now the youngest to win the Breeders Cup classic.

Keta Note: Also in race: Lava Man, Giacomo, Lawyer Ron
  • I think the only reason Bernardini is such a popular stud right now, is because his father --of whom he is nearly the spitting image of conformationally -- was recently pensioned. But I do believe that, if Pulpit were still alive..... He would have Bernardini beat by a mile at stud.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Bernardini - 2006 Jockey Club Gold Cup
    Uploaded on Apr 16, 2009
    The sensational Bernardini destroys a field of older horses in his last career victory

Keta Note: Bernie ran in the Breeders Cup after this race. This is his last win.
    2006 Preakness is on Youtube. He won by 5 lengths.
    Preakness race is the one when Barbaro broke down at the beginning.
  • Does anyone think it's strange that people got mad at Bernardini for winning the Preakness when Barbaro broke down? I thought it just silly that anyone could blame him for winning that day. I adored Barbaro and still do, but some folks actually disliked Bernardini because of what happened.
  • Does anyone think it's strange that people got mad at Bernardini for winning the Preakness when Barbaro broke down? I thought it just silly that anyone could blame him for winning that day. I adored Barbaro and still do, but some folks actually disliked Bernardini because of what happened.
    I suppose it could be for similar reasons to why Blame was having food thrown at him in the winner's circle, and needed officer protection. Some people just can't accept that THEIR favorite horse, lost.
  • That's true, but there was no way Barbaro could have won after he broke down and somebody had to win.
  • This makes it all the worse, afterall: "How could a great horse like Barbaro, break down and lose? It must be because Bernardini won!" It is very irrational, but this is the typical thought process of someone who is rooting for something, and said something has lost.
  • True, it was such a sad day. I remember Bernardini's owner being interviewed after and he was so gracious to Barbaro's owners and you could tell he felt bad about it.
  • edited April 2013
    I think the only reason Bernardini is such a popular stud right now, is because his father --of whom he is nearly the spitting image of conformationally -- was recently pensioned. But I do believe that, if Pulpit were still alive..... He would have Bernardini beat by a mile at stud.
    He's popular because his offspring win races and they sell like hotcakes at auction. He was popular while Pulpit was alive, too. Pulpit was a great sire but he did not "beat him by a mile."
  • Very interesting article on Blood Horse.

I think it explains the decisions that have been regarding breeding Zenyatta and Rachel to the AP Indy line stallions:

A.P. Indy is earning a strong reputation as a sire of sires although his offspring tend to need some time and distance. His rare precocious sons such as Malibu Moon and Jump Start have done well, but so, too, his later-maturing ones such as Pulpit , Mineshaft , Bernardini , Congrats , and Flatter . Every year he almost always has a colt with classic aspirations, and his sons are so well-bred that they are ideal stallion prospects if they have any sort of race record at all.

Pulpit is represented by successful sire sons Tapit , Sky Mesa , and Stroll . Tapit is now ticking all the boxes, as his quick, early offspring are maturing into good colts on the classic trail.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77257/pedigree-analysis-sires-of-sires
  • When Barbaro was injured during the Preakness, you had to be there to witness the emotion of the moment; this big, strong, beautiful horse, whom everyone thought would be the next triple crown winner, standing on three legs, his jockey leaning against his injured side to support him. His mane tossing in the wind, and a look of shock and pain on his face as he watched the others racing away, not understanding what had happened. Absolute silence from the crowd of thousands who had come to witness his triumph in the Preakness. His jockey in tears, bent over at the waist, hardly able to breathe. Then, as the horse ambulance arrived on the scene, people in the crowd crying. I remember a woman screaming, crying, begging from the stands, "don't kill him, don't kill him". Not many knew or cared who had won, they were so caught up in Barbaro's tragedy. As they got him in the ambulance and drove away, many, (myself included), thought we were watching his last moments, and the sorrow over that was unbearable. When people booed Bernardini, and/or threw things at him, they didn't do it just because he had "won" the race. They did it because a hero was mortally injured, because they knew he'd never race again even if he lived, and because they knew he was in for the fight of his life, and that he would suffer. Was it wrong to do that to Bernardini? Absolutely, it was a terrible thing to do to a great horse, but understandable in the context of the moment. I'll bet if you could ask people today, they would say they were sorry for it, but the gut-wrenching horror of the day got the best of them, and they acted badly. But please don't say they did it because their horse didn't "win". Not winning that race doesn't come close to the actuality of what happened to him that day, and saying that it was done for that reason trivializes the valiant eight-month battle he waged for his life. Which he lost in the end.
  • You know, lovehorses, everything you say makes sense and nobody loved Barbaro more than me. Unfortunately (fortunately probably) I couldn't be there in person, but it still ripped my heart out and I kept up with him all through his struggle. He died the same day my father died and my daughters hid his death from me while I was involved with burying my daddy because they knew how heartbroken I would be and that it would be too much for me at that time. I understood people being upset with Bernardini the day of the race in their shock and grief. What bothers me is fans who were upset that La Ville Rouge, Barbaro's mom, was bred to Bernardini because of what happened. The Jacksons wanted that and I felt the fans were out of line in their distaste of the pairing. For goodness sake, the Jacksons owned Barbaro. Just thought it was unreasonable and that's not how my mind works. It was just my opinion and I would NEVER trivialize Barbaro's struggle and pain and death! We had been discussing breeding Bernardini and La Ville had recently had her filly and it was on my mind.
  • And it was breeding to Bernardini that finally gave Barbaro, and all his brothers, a baby sister.
  • And it was breeding to Bernardini that finally gave Barbaro, and all his brothers, a baby sister.
    Great point!