General Interest News Items

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    BETFAIR IS LOOKING FOR HORSE RACING MARKETING MANAGER
    Matt Booth Betfair Head of Marketing tweeted on Sunday May 13th
    Im looking for a horse racing marketing manager.
    Please contact the Betfair HR team if you’re interested.
    Job will be advertised in RP soon
    Wondered if there were any candidates in our group?
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    Bob Baffert‏ tweeted Thurs. May 16
    Super filly Princess Arabella just pronounced in foal to Tapit.
    They will have hard time catching that foal in paddock. Lol
  • RachelRachel Member
    Lol I agree xD
  • @ Keta, did you read Joe Clancy's article about Arcadius - think it was in The Rail blogs on the NYTimes site. I'll try to find the link - otherwise it is most likely on Steeplechase Times website also. Very well written about Arcadius.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Celeste,
    Here is the link to the Joe Clancy article from The New York Times
    Just want to give everyone a heads up.
    The photo is the down Arcadius being attended to by vets & staff.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sports/after-his-lifes-best-race-death-of-horse-arcadius.html
    It was a sad time after just a great victory.
  • Yes. Very sad. The article brought tears to my eyes.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2012
    I came across that article yesterday. it is very sad :(

i believe he'll be buried at that track? Or maybe that was Furner's Green?
  • cigarcigar Member
    Oh, that is so sad. He gave his all.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lane's End Farm tweeted
    Excellent news:
    Pleasantly Perfect's Eclipse Award winner Rapid Redux is retired to Ky Horse Park!.
  • YES! Saw article on Bloodhorse re Rapid Redux being retired. So happy this looks like a happy ending to a great story.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    On Lanes End facebook there is a video of Charismatic in Japan. He looks very good. Hopefully, there is a plan in place to bring him home when he is retired. NEVER NEVER ANOTHER FERDINAND!!!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I read that Silver Charm and Roses in May both have "Ferdinand" clauses....sure hope Charismatic does too
  • RachelRachel Member
    Why was keertana bred and then raced again? She's now officially retired but why'd they breed her while she was still racing?
  • KetaKeta Member
    Graded Winner Keertana Retired
    By Blood-Horse Staff Updated: Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:40 PM
    Barbara Hunter’s homebred Keertana, who last year became the first female to win the Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) since Our Request in 1951, has been retired from racing. The 6-year-old mare was bred in the spring to Claiborne Farm stallion Arch and has been pronounced in foal.
    Keertana last raced in the Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park March 31, finishing third. She later was bred and placed back in training. Trainer Tom Proctor had planned to keep her running through the summer but things changed.
    “We just decided it was time,” he said. “She was nothing but a pleasure. I’ll miss her. She might not be the best filly I’ve ever trained, but she’s one of my favorites. I use to bring people in the barn and let them pet her. It was pretty cool to have an earner of $1 million that you can walk up to and pet.”
    Keertana (Johar —Motokiks, by Storm Cat) was retired with a record of 11-6-8 from 29 starts and earnings of $1,031,938. In addition to the Louisville Handicap, she captured four other graded stakes. She placed in 11 other stakes including the 2010 Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT).
    Keertana resides at Hunter’s Brownwood Farm near Nicholasville, Ky.
    Another of Hunter’s homebred graded stakes-winning mares, Keertana’s half sister Snow Top Mountain, also has been bred this year but she remains in training. By Najran, 5-year-old Snow Top Mountain is in foal to Claiborne stallion Blame .
    Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69950/graded-winner-keertana-retired#ixzz1vRtFhqFW
  • RachelRachel Member
    That doesn't explain why tho. I'm very curious about this
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rachel,
    As I understand it, mares can be in foal & continue racing-as long as they are healthy.
    Compare it to a pregnant female runner who continues running, even enters marathons until it is no longer comfortable or the doctor says "stop"
    This is a way for the horse to help pay for the overhead of their care.
    The article talks about another mare
    "Another of Hunter’s homebred graded stakes-winning mares, Keertana’s half sister Snow Top Mountain, also has been bred this year but she remains in training. By Najran, 5-year-old Snow Top Mountain is in foal to Claiborne stallion Blame ."
    So, some mares do continue on in racing.
    I don't know what the rules are about how long they can run.
    Owners are interested in not just the health of the mare, but the health of the foal.
    This is an investment--especially with sires like Arch and Blame
    Perhaps, one of our guru can add to this.
    Hugs,
    Keta
  • RachelRachel Member
    I've just never heard of it before. You'd think the stress and rigors of racing would make the mare miscarry.
  • RachelRachel Member
    It has been confirmed, rapid redux will go to the kentucky horse park. should of been old friends (they lost seatle slews son recently, Leave Seatle).

http://www.drf.com/news/rapid-redux-will-spend-retirement-kentucky-horse-park
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I've just never heard of it before. You'd think the stress and rigors of racing would make the mare miscarry.
    Hi Rachel.....I am doing some checking....I seem to remember a famous mare in England ran while in foal ...against the boys...and did well ...cant find the reference right now but it will come to me...will let you know when I find it...
  • Spain, a daughter of Thunder Gulch out of Drina (Regal and Royal), won the 2002 G2 Fleur de Lis Handicap while in foal to Storm Cat. She was 5 years of age. She delivered a healthy colt, Carpocrates, on April 27, 2003. He currently stands at stud in South Africa. Spain is alive and well and delivered a 2012 colt by Giant's Causeway on February 4.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Its just so strange, not cruel, just strange lol. i wonder how long u can race them til u have to stop due to developing pregnancy
  • KetaKeta Member
    Its just so strange, not cruel, just strange lol. i wonder how long u can race them til u have to stop due to developing pregnancy
    I'm sure that when the saddle & girth no longer fit, the riding stops.
    Just saying

• RachelRachel Member
    Lol that would make sense xD
  • RachelRachel Member
    http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-broadway’s-alibi-will-skip-acorn

24 days isnt enough for broadways alibi to recouperate after a race?! 49 seconds isnt fast enough for a work?! Its no wonder horses of todays era don race that much. this sounds strange
  • KetaKeta Member
    Hastings Racecourse‏ tweeted
    Paul Reddam has officially named a Candy Ride colt out of Sweet and Clever,
    CINCO de MARIO!
    #funstuff
    Retweeted by Warren Eves