General Interest News Items

Comments

• THANK YOU FOR INFO MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!! GOOD CAUSE TO MAIL CHECK EACH MONTH TO HELP THE HORSES HAVE MADE CONTACT FOR HOOTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Book Celebrates Del Mar's 75th Anniversary
    Del Mar celebrates its 75th anniversary this season and in a fitting salute to three-quarters of a century of fast horses, turf and surf, and fun and sun, the track commissioned a delightful book that tells its story through gorgeous photos and lyrical print in a coffee-table format.
    The book, titled “Del Mar at 75,” was a long-term project by master photographer Barry Myers and award-winning writer Jay Privman. The 192-page volume, dressed out in sharp color pictures from the frontside to the backside, is presented in a “day in the life” format, starting in the early hours in the barns, running through an afternoon at the track and finishing with the nightlife of concerts and the surrounding area. It also features classic black-and-white photos from Del Mar’s historic early days.
    During the Del Mar season, July 18-September 5, you'll be able to buy "Del Mar at 75" at the track's Silks Gift Shops. If you want to get a jump on the crowd -- or can't make it to Del Mar this summer -- you can buy it online.
  • L_Q_Q_KL_Q_Q_K Member
    The Horse, Inside Out! This lady's art is amazing.

http://www.horsesinsideout.com/pictures.html
  • What a great idea. Good learning experience. Love the pic of biomechanics of jumping.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lane's End Farm on Facebook
    Yesterday, our last foal arrived at 3:30am, a colt with a lovely pedigree - Distorted Humor/Film Maker. The cheering from the broodmare crew could be heard all day :)!
    To see a list of all the foals click here
    http://www.lanesend.com/2012/04/2012-foals.html
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Three Chimneys facebook has a pic of one of Dynaformer's last foals. Jumping up in the air with all 4 feet off the ground. Makes you smile.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Happy Mouth Bits Recalled Due to Safety Risk
    By Erica Larson, News Editor
    Updated: Friday, June 1, 2012 11:00 AM
    Originally published on TheHorse.com
    Happy Mouth bit manufacturer English Riding Supply has recalled approximately 3,400 Happy Mouth Wire Mouth bits, according to an alert from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "The steel braided wire in the mouthpiece that connects the bit on either side of the horse's cheeks can become frayed, rusted, or worn, which can cause the bit to break," the alert read. "If this happens, the rider can lose control and fall from the horse." English Riding Supply has received four reports of bits that have broken and resulted in rider falls.
    The alert indicated the products in question were sold July 2003 through April 2012. Model numbers, which can be found on the product label, included in the recall are 462172SS, 462177SS, 462181SS, 462184SS, 464123SS, 466898SS, 466904SS, and 467248SS.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=20111#ixzz1wYZ0dyjz
  • KetaKeta Member
    New Website Dedicated to Affirmed Launched
    Updated: Friday, June 1, 2012 10:39 AM
    A new website dedicated to the memory of Affirmed, America's last Triple Crown champion, has been launched by Affirmed Enterprises headed by Patrice Jacobs Wolfson. The website's address is www.affirmedtriplecrown.com
    The launch coincides with the attempt by I'll Have Another to join the ranks of Triple Crown winners in the 2012 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 9. Affirmed was the 11th and most recent to accomplish the feat in 1978.
    Affirmed, a two-time Horse of the Year, was bred and raced by Mr. and Mrs. Louis E. Wolfson’s Harbor View Farm.
    This new site includes photos, videos, articles, and memorabilia covering the entire racing and stallion career of Affirmed as well as the human connections. It also features an on-line “Scrapbook” containing personal mementoes from Mrs. Wolfson.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/70209/new-website-dedicated-to-affirmed-launched#ixzz1wYgZO6eD
  • Thanks for that web site Keta.
    What a glorious time it was in racing.
  • Michael J. Marten, Eclipse Award photographer, is dead at 54
    http://www.drf.com/news/michael-j-marten-eclipse-award-photographer-dead-54

May he rest in peace :-(
  • KetaKeta Member
    Opportunity to meet Zenyatta among items in CKRH fundraiser auction
    Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 12:45 PM
    Edited press release
    A halter worn by 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta and the opportunity to visit the mare will be among the items offered to the highest bidder at Night of the Stars, the annual fundraiser for Central Kentucky Riding for Hope (CKRH), on June 16 at the Keeneland Entertainment Center in Lexington.
    Tickets for the event, which begins at 6 p.m. EDT, are $100 and include cocktails, dinner, and silent and live auctions.
    A visit with Zenyatta, which was made possible by owners Jerry and Ann Moss and Lane's End, is available for up to six people and will be scheduled on a mutually agreed-upon date. The package includes a halter worn by Zenyatta and a photo opportunity.
    Also in the auction are halters worn by Horse of the Year honorees A.P. Indy, Rachel Alexandra, Saint Liam, and Tiznow; champions and classic winners Bernardini, Street Sense, and Thunder Gulch; Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Fusaichi Pegasus; Breeders' Cup Classic and Belmont Stakes (G1) winner Drosselmeyer; and Dubai World Cup (UAE-G1) winner and prominent sire Street Cry (Ire).
    Box seats at Churchill Downs and Keeneland Race Course, as well as a historic sixteenth pole marker from Keeneland, will also be auctioned off.
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/06/01/opportunity-to-meet-zenyatta-among-items-in-ckrh-fundraiser-auction.aspx
  • Maybe if I mortgage my house...
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Maybe if I mortgage my house...
    I already have mortgage.....would need to rob a bank
  • Three Chimneys has posted pic of their retired broodmares on their facebook page. Some really old girls who look in great shape. Very moving to see what good care they are given.

• cigarcigar Member
    I think it is wonderful that horses are cared for after their breeding days are over. They deserve it. I follow Arabians, and there are some great ones that have passed on, but they were loved til the end. They give us so much, it is only right to give back to them.
  • Via email Stonestreet said they would post another picture of the Maggy Hawk filly next week.

Can't wait to see that girl again.
  • RachelRachel Member
    ill have another scratched from belmont with tendon issue
  • Hansen getting down and dirty.

http://bcove.me/57i29vfm
  • KetaKeta Member
    An interesting article on where are they now!

What 5 Kentucky Derby Winners Are Doing Now
    By Meredith Rodkey | May 4, 2012
    2011 Winner, Animal Kingdom: Rest, Rehab — and a Potential Comeback
    2008 Winner, Big Brown: The Studly Traveler
    2009 Winner, Mine That Bird: New Mexico or Bust
    2007 Winner, Street Sense: Busy Kicking Back With His Rivals
    2010 Winner, Super Saver: A Proud Papa Retires in Kentucky

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/what-5-kentucky-derby-winners-are-doing-now?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_7861044
  • Thanks Keta. I have missed you. Hope you are well and nice to have your wonderful posts back.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Thanks Keta. I have missed you. Hope you are well and nice to have your wonderful posts back.
    Had human virus & computer virus.
    Both are all better.
    Thank you for your nice comments!!
    Hugs, Keta

• KetaKeta Member
    Belmont Cancels Racing Due to Extreme Heat
    by Claire Novak The Blood-Horse
    Date Posted: 6/21/2012 9:41:44 AM
    Last Updated: 6/21/2012 9:47:51 AM
    Belmont Park cancelled racing June 21 as Elmont, N.Y. and the surrounding areas in Nassau County on Long Island came under a heat advisory issued by the National Weather Service.
    A heat advisory is issued when the combination of heat and humidity is expected to make it feel like it is 100 to 104 degrees for two or more consecutive hours.
    The forecast for June 21 called for temperatures rising toward 98 to 102 degrees, with the height of the heatwave expected to hit around 2 p.m.
    The advisory is in effect until 7 p.m. EDT June 21.
    Aqueduct Racetrack and the Belmont Café will remain open for simulcasting.
  • The heat is really terrible here in the northeast. Glad they cancelled the races. Feel really bad for anyone that has to work outside.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jockey Guild tweeted
    Retired Hall of Fame jockey Eddie Delahoussaye will be honored
    with a stakes race in his name at the Santa Anita