General Interest News Items

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Zazu has a tibia injury, looking forward to comback in the fall
  • KetaKeta Member
    Churchill cancels Thursday card because of heat
    The Associated Press – 14 hours ago June 27th 2012
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Churchill Downs has canceled Thursday's race card because the temperature is expected to be around 100 degrees.
    Track President Kevin Flanery said in a statement on Tuesday that Churchill consulted with the National Weather Service before deciding to cancel racing, and would continue to do so for the three remaining race days - Friday through Sunday - of the spring meet. The weather service expects highs around 100 all three days.
    Thursday's post time was set for 12:45 p.m. EDT. Friday's races begin at 2:45 p.m., and Saturday features an evening card, starting at 6 p.m. The first post on Sunday is set for 12:45 p.m., and the $150,000 Grade II Firecracker Handicap is scheduled that day
  • KetaKeta Member
    Churchill Downs Update
    Churchill Downs officials will adjust their post times and race exclusively in the evening for the final three days of its 138th Spring Meet due to looming near-record triple-digit heat in the forecast for Louisville. The first race on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be 6:30 p.m. (all times Eastern). On Tuesday evening it was decided that Thursday’s nine-race program would be cancelled because National Weather Service forecasters were calling for a high of 103 with a southwest wind of 5-15 mph and gusts up to 26 mph.
    Revised Closing Week Schedule at Churchill Downs (June 28-July 1)
    http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archive/record-heat-prompts-churchill-downs-shift-night-racing-schedule-friday-and-sunday
  • KetaKeta Member
    Thoughts & prayers with Mike & family!
    Mike Mitchell to undergo surgery for brain tumor
    By Brad Free Daily Racing Form 06/28/2012 10:19 AM
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Trainer Mike Mitchell is scheduled to undergo surgery Friday morning at USC Medical Center to remove a brain tumor that was diagnosed early this week. Mitchell, 64, was admitted to the medical center on Wednesday, according to his wife, Denise.
    She said the tumor was “medium-sized” and that doctors expect to determine whether it is malignant or benign by early next week. An MRI on Monday revealed the tumor.
  • KetaKeta Member
    CURLIN has his first winner in Europe!
    Congratulations to Kirsten Rausing’s SAVANNA LA MAR who became Curlin’s 3rd winner this afternoon at Chester!!
    Lane’s End Farm post on Facebook
  • Mr. Commons running tomorrow in the Shoemaker Mile. Listed as an entry on Bloodhorse.com racing.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Gary Stevens tweeted update on Mike Mitchell: love him like a bro.
    Rt “@SheaMitchell: Thankful for so much love & prayers.
    Dad is out of surgery & doing very well ❤”
    Friday June 29 2012
  • KetaKeta Member
    HORSE RACING
    Shoemaker Mile feels like home turf for Mr. Commons
    The John Shirreffs-trained Mr. Commons always seems to run well when the race is contested on a grass course, as Saturday's Hollywood Park feature will be. Another contender to watch: Little Mike.
    A fees-paid automatic berth to the Breeders' Cup Mile will be up for grabs Saturday in the Grade I $300,000 Shoemaker Mile at Betfair Hollywood Park, and one person feeling confident about the race is trainer John Shirreffs.
    The Shirreffs-trained Mr. Commons, a 4-year-old son of Artie Schiller, is known for his consistency on the turf. He covers a mile in 1 minute 34 seconds or better seemingly every time.
    "He always runs so well," Shirreffs said.
    Even though Mr. Commons has finished second in his last two races, the Grade 2 American Handicap and the Grade I Frank Kilroe Mile, Shirreffs was pleased with the horse's effort.
    The question is, can Mr. Commons get into the winner's circle Saturday against Little Mike, who has been brought in from Kentucky after winning the Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic at Churchill Downs on the Kentucky Derby card?
    Trained by Dale Romans, Little Mike likes to go to the front and stay there. Mr. Commons has been dropping back and trying to win by unleashing a stretch charge under Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith.
    The Shoemaker Mile is one of two Grade I races on the 10-race card. The other is the $250,000 Triple Bend Handicap at seven furlongs.
    The front-running The Factor should be favored against the West Coast's top sprinters that include Smiling Tiger, winner of the 2011 Triple Bend.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0630-shoemaker-mile-20120630,0,958823.column
  • KetaKeta Member
    Daughter Shea Mitchell tweeted update on Dad Mike Mitchell
    Dad is in good spirits. The Mitchell family is reunited & will cheer on Camp Victory from the hospital. He's my hero.
    Sat. June 30 2012
  • KetaKeta Member
    I'll Have Another will be paraded Saturday July 7
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. (July 1, 2012)—Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another will be paraded between races Saturday, July 7 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
    Jockey Mario Gutierrez, who was aboard for both of those stirring victories and undefeated in four collaborations with the Flower Alley colt, and trainer Doug O’Neill, who conditioned the chestnut for owner J. Paul Reddam, will have an autograph session prior to the start of a program highlighted by the 73rd running of the Grade I, $500,000 Hollywood Gold Cup. Gutierrez and O’Neill will be available between 12-1 p.m. near the Paddock Tote Board.
    The appearance will be the last chance for fans to see I’ll Have Another before he begins the next phase of his life as a stallion in Japan.
    http://betfairhollywoodpark.com/news/i-ll-have-another-will-be-paraded-saturday-july-7
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Mitchell Update July 1
    Shea Mitchell‏ tweet
    Dad leaves the hospital tomorrow.
    So thankful for the power of prayer.
    Will be cheering from the hospital as a family again today
  • Bloodhorse.com has posted a very nice article about trainer Gary Simms who is battling myeloma. His 2 horses, Blueeyesintherain and Circle Unbroken won at Churchill. Don't you just love that name Blueeyesintherain? At least we old Willie fans do.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Three Chimneys Farm‏ tweeted July 2
    Unfortunately our phones are down today due to last night's storms
    (all horses/people are fine, so no worries!)....
  • Mucho Macho Man, the beautiful giant, is going in the Suburban.
  • FYI if any of you is feeling wealthy, Old Friends is auctioning off a visit with The Queen:

Visit with Zenyatta Online Auction

During the Belmont Ball auction, we offered an opportunity to meet Zenyatta, Horse of the Year and Queen of Racing at Lane's End Farm in Versailles, KY. The winning bidder has generously donated the visit back to us so we can auction it again! We would like to thank her, Lane's End Farm and Team Zenyatta for being such good friends of Old Friends.

The auction is running now Tuesday, July 10th at 8 PM EST. We will accept bids on our facebook page ONLY.

The visit is for four people and will be with Zenyatta only. The date is to be mutually agreed upon between the winning bidder and Lane's End Farm. All proceeds directly benefit Old Friends. The winning bidder will be notified via facebook. Once payment is received, Old Friends will relay all information needed to arrange the visit.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I believe this is old news but I've never seen it before. Barbara livingstons article on Little Current. For those that have said I'll Have Another reminds them of him:

http://www.barbaralivingston.com/Stories_LittleCurrent.html
  • KetaKeta Member
    Hansen headed for West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer
    By Marty McGee Daily Racing Form 07/02/2012 6:27 PM
    Mountaineer Park in West Virginia could be getting a surplus of big-name Kentucky horses for its biggest day of the year, Aug. 4.
    Not only is Hansen, a 1-10 winner of the Iowa Derby on Saturday night, scheduled to make his next start that day in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby for trainer Mike Maker, but the Garry Simms-trained duo that swept the two big Churchill stakes for 2-year-olds, Blueeyesintherein and Circle Unbroken, also could race on the undercard in the $100,000 Mountaineer Juvenile Fillies and $100,000 Mountaineer Juvenile, respectively.
    Dr. Kendall Hansen, majority owner of Hansen, also is a minority partner in the Travis Morgeson V partnerships that have ownership interests in both of the Simms 2-year-olds.
    “Dr. Hansen said he thought he’d have three horses running at Mountaineer,” said Dr. Harvey Diamond, the managing partner in Skychai Stables, a minority owner in Hansen. “We’re thinking about renting an RV and a driver and making a big day of it.”
    http://www.drf.com/print/news/hansen-headed-west-virginia-derby-mountaineer
  • KetaKeta Member
    Margie Engle Breaks Her Leg
    By: Molly Sorge
    Grand prix show jumper Margie Engle has suffered a broken ankle.
    Engle, 54, fell from a horse on June 28 while competing in a 1.30-meter class at the Lake Placid Horse Show (N.Y.). “He just misjudged a vertical and went through it,” Engle said. “It wasn’t one of my grand prix horses but a catch ride.”
    Engle broke her ankle and fibula on her right leg. “It was the only good appendage I have! I don’t think I’ve ever broken any bones in that leg; they’re some of the few I haven’t broken,” she said. In 1990, Engle broke her left leg badly. In 2004, she suffered a broken hip when a horse fell on her.
    Engle plans to undergo surgery on July 5 to repair the damage. “It’s subluxated out of the joint, so they’re planning to put it together with some screws,” she said.
    Engle suffered a concussion in April, and she was disappointed to be named ninth on the short list for the U.S. show jumping team for the 2012 London Olympic Games aboard Indigo. “It’s just one thing after the next, but hopefully I won’t be out for too long,” she said.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/margie-engle-breaks-her-leg
  • KetaKeta Member
    Great in-depth profile on Mike Mitchell-life, training, family. Well worth the read!
    Racing Stripes: Redondo Beach trainer sets records
    by Michael Hixon Redondo Beach News
    (Updated: Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:32 AM PDT)
    Trainer Mike Mitchell has been playing high stakes poker for decades, not with cards or slots, but with flesh and blood, a 1,000-pound animal, the thoroughbred.
    He has made a career out of finding the right claim, purchasing a horse for his owners and hoping they can turn a profit. His claims have gone on to win Grade 1 races against the top horses in the country.
    Mitchell, who makes his home in Redondo Beach, has his base at Betfair Hollywood Park in Inglewood, a track that opened on June 10, 1938. The legendary Seabiscuit won the inaugural Hollywood Gold Cup in 1938, and Triple Crown champions Citation and Affirmed, as well as Horses of the Year John Henry, Cigar and Zenyatta, made history at the track. But most of the racing across the country involves claimers, horses that are for sale up to the minute the gates open for the race, and are considered the lower rung of horses in the sport.
    http://tbrnews.com/articles/2012/06/28/redondo_beach_news/news47.txt
  • Game On Dude and Chantal are running in the Hollywood Gold Cup tomorrow. Should be exciting. As always, safe trip to all riders and horses.

Go Mucho Macho Man in the Suburban.
  • KetaKeta Member
    From Facebook
    Taylor Made Sales Agency, Inc.
    IT'S A COLT!
    Princess Arabella is carrying a colt by TAPIT!

Check out www.FreakFilly.com
    This is Princess Arabella's site.
    Name came from Bob Baffert's compliment in which he called her "Freaky Filly"
    So, we know that Rachel A is expecting a filly & Princess Arabella is expecting a colt.
    So, what about Zenyatta?
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited July 2012
    Chantal Sutherland‏ tweeted
    Yummy cupcakes from Julie Chute for my bridal shower!!!
    Soooo good!! Try them!
    Here's the rest of the story
    Sutherland, who married her new beau, Dan Kruse, in a private ceremony in Long Beach, California on March 21, and only recently returned from a trip overseas where she became the first female jockey to ride in the $10-million Dubai World Cup, came home to Woodbine last weekend for a much needed break.
    Earlier when she became engaged
    In case you haven’t heard the news on Twitter, Southern California jockey Chantal Sutherland is celebrating her engagement to Dan Kruse of Monrovia, CA. Sutherland tweeted the news to followers in recent days:
    “Just had a nice brunch with my fiancé! Oops forgot to tell you that Dan Kruse proposed to me New Years Eve and I said YES . . . he’s a STAR!”
    Kruse is a member of the family that owns Kruse Meats in Monrovia.”
  • KetaKeta Member
    Old Friends tweeted tonight July 10th
    Many thanks to Queen Zenyatta, Lane's End, Team Moss and our Belmont benefactor for the wonderful gift of the meet and greet with Z...and the amazing support from our Facebook family.
    The winning bid will be verified by time stamp and will go a long way toward providing care for our horses.
    Thank you all again
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rood and Riddle on Facebook. Thought you'd like to watch. Keta
    Dr. Bramlage was interviewed this afternoon for a segment on tonight's NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, addressing some of the recent media concerns about racehorse safety and health. Be sure to tune in for what should be a great story--6:30 EST this evening on your local NBC station. We will be live tweeting the interview as it's released also from @roodandriddle.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Steve Stevens‏ NKYCHAMBERPREZ tweeted
    If Kentucky was its own country, it would be the third largest foal market in the world. The US is no. 1, Australia
    Keta Note: Thought that was an interesting fact.