What got me involved in this sport?

jenniferjennifer Member
edited October 2012 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
I love to hear people's stories about how they first became involved in horse racing. Was it a person? A day at the racetrack? A particular horse? A movie?
For me it was the book and movie "The Black Stallion." I teach school, and showed the movie to my class just as Sunday Silence and Easy Goer were approaching the Belmont. I watched the Belmont and have been hooked ever since!

Comments

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Reading King Of The Wind introduced me to the idea of racing, but Secretariat is the reason I fell in love with it. Never got to see him in person, but I watched all his TC races, on a black and white TV, cheering him on.
  • I have always loved horses. In the 3rd grade we were asked to write a paper about "man's best friend" I wrote about horses and what role they have played in our lives. From the time I was little and had my picture taken on a pony, to "Spin & Marty", Roy Rogers and Trigger, National Velvet, The Black Stallion, Seabiscuit, Phar Lap, and Secretariat. The kicker however was Zenyatta. Never before has a horse been so available to their fans and what adoring fans she has. Her connections are not only loving , classy and caring, they were very smart to allow her fans access. Because of the access to Zenyatta , thousands who would not normally want to be around or watch horse racing are now hooked and boy are they.
    Girl power
    Love hugs and kisses to the Queen
  • edited October 2012
    I had always been into horseracing. I remember being a little girl, sitting in my grampa's lap, hearing stories of the great Secretariat and Seattle Slew, and other greats. But I particularily remember Secretariat, and the superhero-image I built of him from the stories I was told. But for me, Black Caviar was the catalyst, after I learned of her. I tried to catch up as much as I could on all the other racehorses, this is where I learned about all the racehorses I know of today. And I still think of Secretariat as, in a way, a superhero, but I've come to realize that he isn't the only superhero to have lived =)
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Good grief ....I just bought a copy of the Black Stallion movie....great minds?
  • Marguerite Henry and all her books, then Secretariat. Then life and marriage took over and horses took a back seat. Zenyatta brought me back. I still have the life and marriage, though. :)
  • The book Black Beauty did it for me. Then I fell for Ruffian and walked away when she passed. It took Barbaro to rekindle the fire and then he too was lost way too early. Finally in 2008 I found "the big girl" and it was love at first sight and it has never left me.
    Zenyatta represents everything good about racing and her connections also set a high bar. Now I get to follow her in her "second" life and love every minute of it.
  • Interesting about the Black Stallion movie....the horse used in the majority of the filming, Cass Ole' had either 2 front white legs or all four white (can't remember) and some white on his face that they painted over for the movie. Look closely at some of the beach scenes and you can see. Be sure to watch during end notes the scenes of the boy and Cass rolling around in the sand! Awesome awesome movie!
  • its amazing that i grew up watching that movie and getting into this site and becoming a member brought me here to find out that the horse who played the black actually had white on him and was painted to be all black. love that movie and the horses that played in it
  • Am I the only one that DIDN'T get into racing from watching Black Stallion? LOL. I must not be part of the cool crew!
  • Am I the only one that DIDN'T get into racing from watching Black Stallion? LOL. I must not be part of the cool crew!
  • I have been horse crazy pretty much since I was 6 months old( have a picture of me riding a horse with my grandma), but I didn't get into racing until I guess 2005. When the barn I was volunteering at was having a derby party and I was too young to go so I stayed at home and watched the race on TV instead.
  • ...another interesting note on the movie BS...I taught Arabic students for 19 years in Dearborn, MI. On the ship, the Arab man says to Alec in arabic, "Stay away from him. He's mine. He's the devil." They translated it for me!
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2012
    I loved it when he goes to their land to get his horse back but finds out he has a herd and family of his own so he sets him free, so sad
  • Marguerite Henry's King of the Wind. Sea Star, and Born to Trot. Walter Farley's Black Stallion books...favorite line from the Black Stallion and Satan, "They had beaten the fire, outraced the WIND...." And the first Derby we watched in that thing called television...the one Native Dancer didn't win, but I was hooked. I rode a lot as a kid, and we had a lot of outings at old Arlington Park. When I rode I always wanted to go faster....nothing like the horse's mane whipping in your face, eyes tearing from the wind, hooves beating a tattoo beneath you.....Yeah, you can drive really fast in a car, but it just never seemed the same.
  • Ruffian, I'm not cool either, I guess! Black Stallion didn't get me into racing either. My grandfather used to have a farm with horses and I starting riding there when I was about 7! That started my love of horses but I have to say it was Big Red that got me into racing! Secretariat just did it for me! He still does, then Slew! Ruffian's death broke my heart, though, and after that I couldn't watch races without a little fear! Some of Zenyatta's races, I actually could not watch because of that! I love her so much, it petrified me that she would get hurt and I would wait until I knew she was okay and then watch replays! Stupid to most, I know, but I couldn't help it! Was so happy she retired sound!
  • Ruffian, I'm not cool either, I guess! Black Stallion didn't get me into racing either. My grandfather used to have a farm with horses and I starting riding there when I was about 7! That started my love of horses but I have to say it was Big Red that got me into racing! Secretariat just did it for me! He still does, then Slew! Ruffian's death broke my heart, though, and after that I couldn't watch races without a little fear! Some of Zenyatta's races, I actually could not watch because of that! I love her so much, it petrified me that she would get hurt and I would wait until I knew she was okay and then watch replays! Stupid to most, I know, but I couldn't help it! Was so happy she retired sound!
    I understand about Ruffian Louise, in fact...I'm the same way! Even though I'm only 17 so I never witnessed Ruffian's tragedy with my own eyes. But every time I watch Black Caviar's races all I can think is "Pleasedon'tgethurtpleasedon'tgethurtpleasedon'tgethurt!" I couldn't even WATCH the Diamond Jubilee because it sounded so much like Ruffian's last moments on the track. Unfortunately I didn't get back into horse racing UNTIL Black Caviar arrived on the scene, but I rewatch Zenyatta's wins and regret I didn't get back into the racing circle sooner! Which is why my username is what it is today, because Ruffian lives on in Zenyatta and Black Caviar. I can see it.
  • That's so sweet about your username! I feel just like you about Black Caviar! It worries me a lot. Also, and I hope nobody gets mad about this, but I worry about Eblouissante so much because she has that Ruffian look to me! I really hope they wait awhile to start her. At least we know that her bloodlines seem sturdier than some, I think. I already feel that I may have to not watch her at first! LOL! Until we see what she's like! I 've got to get over this stuff if I'm gonna keep watching horse racing!
  • That's so sweet about your username! I feel just like you about Black Caviar! It worries me a lot. Also, and I hope nobody gets mad about this, but I worry about Eblouissante so much because she has that Ruffian look to me! I really hope they wait awhile to start her. At least we know that her bloodlines seem sturdier than some, I think. I already feel that I may have to not watch her at first! LOL! Until we see what she's like! I 've got to get over this stuff if I'm gonna keep watching horse racing!
    Thank you! ^.^ And yes, Black Caviar is a wonderful mare and even though she seems to be as sturdy as a mule I still have my worries. And don't be ashamed about being worried for Eblouissante, she looks a LOT like Ruffian, it is understandable that you would be worried about her. Though as I understand it, Ruffian was quite the fire cracker! lol. Eby seems to be calmer, like her sister Zenny.
    I'm not part of the crew either. I always loved horses and always watched the races on TV growing up. But I never became a horse racing fan until I saw Seattle Slew on TV running in the Champagne. He gave me chills and I followed his career. From there, I was totally hooked. And I began to appreciate the great fillies.

• your lucky to have witnessed that. i was a year old when Go For Wand died, to put perspective in for my horse racing history lol
  • You guys are lucky to have been able to see such horses. I'm only 17 years old so I never got the chance =(
  • Maybe you didn't get that chance, RR12, but you are a part of a really neat and exciting time, now. HOY three years in a row....females. Fillies and mares are competing with the colts and horses on the same level.....and more than just holding their own! Plus the internet is allowing us to have so much more contact and exposure to racing and the lives of the horses and their connections. We had radio, newspapers, and eventually the Derby was aired on televsion. Fans were distanced, Now we get to see things as they happen, and connections (bless them for this) are keeping us "in the loop." Being so up close, as it were, has certainly rekindled my appreciation of racing.
  • Maybe you didn't get that chance, RR12, but you are a part of a really neat and exciting time, now. HOY three years in a row....females. Fillies and mares are competing with the colts and horses on the same level.....and more than just holding their own! Plus the internet is allowing us to have so much more contact and exposure to racing and the lives of the horses and their connections. We had radio, newspapers, and eventually the Derby was aired on televsion. Fans were distanced, Now we get to see things as they happen, and connections (bless them for this) are keeping us "in the loop." Being so up close, as it were, has certainly rekindled my appreciation of racing.
    this is very much true, i agree. i got into horse racing because me and my mom would watch the races on tv whenever they were aired. the major ones being the breeders cup and the triple crown. when i was younger i didnt pay much attention to who was in those races so if i seen any great horses then i dont remember it. i remember however my first witness to a breakdown while watching i think a breeders cup race or a triple crown race. no idea who the horse was, just remember my mom saying he/she brokedown. these days i watch horse racing far more than she does because i have TVG and watch that constantly lol. i am able to follow a horse throughout its career and i have better knowledge as to why that horse is in that race. technology is a really good thing for the industry.

• That is true, but imagine that kind of network with horses like Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Ruffian and all the other greats? To simply BE next to one of them would probably have been amazing.
  • its crazy to think that computers are not that old and yet we are so advanced in them these days and its getting more advanced