Tribute to a Filly

slewpyslewpy Member
edited November 2012 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
I was in a forum once where one of the threads was about paying tribute to the great women in history. I thought it would be fun to have a thread which pays tribute to the great fillies of horse racing history. Please limit each post to one filly, but please post a tribute to as many fillies as you like.

The first great filly I want to pay a tribute to is one that sometimes seems to be forgotten. She won 14 of 17 races in her career and won many of them by wide margins. She won many grade 1s including the 1995 BC Distaff now known as the Ladies Classic. If you wanted to place a bet on her to win, you had to have inside information. She was also inducted into the Hall of Fame and won the Eclipse Award for older female. Here is the great filly Inside Information:

Comments

• Thanks, slewpy, for posting this. What a race. I wish they had had an interview with Mike Smith instead of the other jockey. But it was fun to see him "back in the day," 17 years ago. Looks as though he has hair under his helmet. Do you know what became of the filly?
  • She had a colt by Street Cry in 2010.....:)

She had a filly (by Unbridled) in 2002 that was named Champion 3 year old filly in 2005. Her name was Smuggler (Smuggler5 on pedigreequery) and she won two of the three races in the Filly Triple Crown. She placed in the other race.

Sadly, she's lost two foals after they were born.
  • Hi Slewpy, great post. Help, nothing is showing up for me on the link you posted, just a blank area. Anyone know what that means, is it showing up for everyone else? Thanks!
  • Wow, Inside Information has a glorious pedigree. There's not one lick of Raise a Native, Northern Dancer, or Mr. Prospector in her pedigree.

Me likey, lots. :D
  • Help, nothing is showing up for me on the link you posted, just a blank area. Anyone know what that means, is it showing up for everyone else? Thanks!
    It's a link to a YouTube video. The link worked for me. I can't remember if the video was already there (imbedded) or the link.

• Thank you, I just got a new computer with windows 8 and stuff is not working right! I'll figure it out eventually, it is just showing a blank area for me! Thanks!
  • What a great thread! Thanks for starting it. Since I wasn't paying much attention to racing back in the day, I missed out on so many like Inside Information, but this is a great introduction to a talented filly. Thank you!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 17 years ago? I was just a newborn then!
  • Hi Slewpy, great post. Help, nothing is showing up for me on the link you posted, just a blank area. Anyone know what that means, is it showing up for everyone else? Thanks!
    Hi, Louise. Hope you figured out how to view the video. Or go to Youtube and search for 1995 Breeders Cup Distaff and it will come right up. Good luck with Windows 8.

Thanks for posting, everyone. Would love to see more tributes to the great fillies. There are so many American, European, Australian, and Japanese fillies to choose from.

• Thank you Slewpy, I did figure it out finally! New computer, new windows 8, I think I finally have the settings correct, I hope. This is a great idea for a thread, thanks for starting it! Wow, what a great filly she was! I loved that race.