Kentucky Derby 2013

KetaKeta Member
edited November 2012 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Churchill Downs‏ tweet:
Colorful, intricate collage by Derek Gores unveiled as official art of 2013 Kentucky Derby

http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archive/colorful-collage-derek-gores-unveiled-official-derby-139-art

Keta Note: Thought it was time to start a discussion about the candidates & info for the 2013 Kentucky Derby

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shanghai Bobby is GORGEOUS....Love him!
  • Vegas No Show, hope that horse doesnt live up to his name lol
  • I like Shanghai Bobby.
  • thats really good, ive actually never heard of the horse
  • Since there were so many illnesses and injuries to our three year olds this year, I've been trying very hard not to fall in love with any of the two year olds, knowing how hard the KD trail is on them. My heart doesn't always follow my head, though, so I've been watching some of the two year old races in spite of myself - lol! Shanghai Bobby is going to be one to watch, but I haven't really picked a favorite yet.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited November 2012
    i havent begun to really think about whose going into the derby and who isnt lol its too early for me. i wont get my hopes up until i know for sure whose going in and ill keep that list and mark them off as it gets closer if any scratch out of it. ever since Ill Have Another and team O' Neill ive been interested in his horses whenever i see them race so yes i got an eye on Hes Had Enough. he looked like he needed a longer track.
  • I never actually place my hopes in a horse until one wins the Kentucky Derby, and even then, I will still stay my hopes until the preakness, THEN I will get hopeful.
  • I'm always thinking about the Derby at this time of the year following the BC when all good 2-yr-olds go south. But i'm always looking for the filly (or fillies) who would become eligible and enter. At 2-yrs-old, many fillies are better than the colts and they should run against them much more than they do. And I hope to see the day when fillies in the Derby field become the norm.
  • I bet if a filly entered the TC that she would WIN the TC lol
  • Zayat Stables has Z Big Apple
    Being touted as a Derby Contender!
    I'm adding him to the list.
    Keta
  • Here's the problem with that. Starting with the 2013 Derby, entrants will be determined by a point system based on performances in a set list of Derby prep races. None of these is a race for fillies. So in order to qualify for the Derby instead of the Oaks, a filly would have to run in, and perform well in, the same races as the colts. It would take a very aggressive trainer to do this, and one who was certain his/her filly could out-perform the boys on a regular basis.

Shanghai Bobby is the current points leader following the Breeders' Cup races, BTW. Next up--the Delta Downs Jackpot.
  • Zayat Stables has Z Big Apple
    Being touted as a Derby Contender!
    Here is his info:
    Z Big Apple (KY)
    CH , C, foaled April 10, 2010
    ( Malibu Moon - Stormy Monday, by Storm Cat)
    Connections as of last Start:
    Jockey: Rafael Bejarano
    Trainer: Bob Baffert
    Owner: Zayat Stables, LLC
    Breeder: Two Hearts Farm

I'm adding him to the list.
    Keta
  • I like the idea of a points system, just not THIS points system. If I were in charge, I'd have a few win-and-you're-in races--the Wood Memorial, Florida Derby, Arkansas Derby, Santa Anita Derby, and Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Then to fill the field I'd assign points to all other graded stakes races based on grade and placement, including races for fillies. I might also include the 2-year-old male Eclipse Award winner as an automatic for the Derby. The filly would be an automatic entry for the Oaks.

But hey, no one asked me.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited November 2012
    Here's how the standings look after the action at the Breeders' Cup:
    Sorry that you have to work your way through this.
    Not enough room for the full chart with boxes.
    Rank Horse Points Owner(s) Trainer Non-restricted Stakes Earnings
    1 Shanghai Bobby 20 Starlight Racing, Mrs. John Magnier, Michael B. Tabor & Derrick Smith Todd Pletcher $1,651,000
    2 Joha 10 Wade Wacker Mike Maker $368,767
    3 Power Broker 10 Gary & Mary West Bob Baffert $210,000
    4 Steeler-IRE 10 Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Al Maktoum Mark Johnston $170,278
    5 River Seven 10 Tucci Stables Nick Gonzalez $147,125
    6 He's Had Enough 4 Reddam Racing LLC Doug O'Neill $361,000
    7 Capo Bastone 4 Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners John Sadler $246,000
    8 Dynamic Sky 4 John Oxley Mark Casse $201,668
    9 Know More 4 Reddam Racing LLC Doug O'Neill $200,000
    10 Goldencents 4 W.C. Racing, Dave Kenney & RAP Racing
    Doug O'Neill $80,000
    11 Artigiano 4 Godolphin Mahmood Al Zarooni $63,564
    12 Tesseron 4 Donver Stable Josie Carroll $40,868
    13 Fortify 3 Godolphin Racing, LLC Kiaran McLaughlin $220,000
    14 Java's War 2 Charles Fipke Ken McPeek $130,000
    15 Indiano Jones 2 John C. Oxley Mark Casse $48,195
    16 Al Waab-IRE 2 Mubarak Al Naemi Sir Henry Cecil $25,306
    17 Pataky Kid 1 Swifty Farms Inc. Tom Proctor $110,714
    18 Five Iron 1 Fred M. Allor Bryan Lynch $44,109
    19 Carving 1 Baffert & Miller Bob Baffert $43,500
    20 Birdman-IRE 1 Anthony Hogarth David Simcock $43,031
    21 Archwarrior 1 Alto Racing, LLC Todd Pletcher $20,000

• The above info came from USA Today. The link is below
    6:22PM EDT November 3. 2012 - The Road to the Kentucky Derby is off and running. The world's best Thoroughbreds look to earn their spot in the starting field for the 2013 Kentucky Derby by earning points in some of the world's biggest races.
    To learn more about the system in place, please check out this infographic at KentuckyDerby.com.
    Here's how the standings look after the action at the Breeders' Cup:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horses/2012/10/01/road-to-kentucky-derby-points-standings/1605347/
  • Great conversation guys, but, goodness, time is flying by so fast it scares me! LOL!
  • While there are some standouts at the moment I never pick teams this early. These animals do so much growing and developing between 2 and 3 that often times the least likely turns out to be the most dominant.
  • I Am Lava Man‏ tweet:
    Know More and Goldencents left this morning for Delta Downs,
    they will run against each other this weekend
  • Good to see such interest so early, but for me, its a little too early. I prefer to reserve judgement on these guys til later.
  • Good info! Worth the read!
    Horse Racing: 2012 Delta Downs Jackpot Million Preview; Zenyatta’s Sister Debuts
    November 16, 2012 By Gerard Apadula

I know it’s not even Thanksgiving yet but is it ever too early to start talking Kentucky Derby? Not to me it isn’t. This weekend’s Horse Racing Race of the Week is the 2012 Delta Downs Jackpot Million for two year olds at Delta Downs in Vinton, Louisiana. Albeit 2012 Breeders Cup Juvenile Sprint winner Hightail is entered, he is only the fourth morning line betting choice.

A field of nine will go postward in the mile and a sixteenth event which, to me, is the first real Kentucky Derby prep race, even though it’s run six months ahead of time and the last four winners (Big Drama, Rule, Gourmet Dinner and Sabercat) had no real impact on the Kentucky Derby in their respective years

http://isportsweb.com/2012/11/16/horse-racing-2012-delta-downs-jackpot-million-preview-zenyattas-sister-debuts/
  • Goldencents Takes Jackpot Wire-to-Wire
    By Claire Novak, @BH_CNovak
    Updated: Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:41 PM
    Goldencents went wire-to-wire in the $1 million Delta Jackpot (gr. III) at Delta Downs Nov. 17, setting quick early fractions and responding with something more to hold off a late run from 9-5 favorite Bern Identity (VIDEO).
    The juvenile son of Into Mischief became the stallion's first stakes winner when he held by 1 3/4 lengths and finished 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.89 for owners W.C. Racing, Dave Kenney, and University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino's RAP Racing. He also earned a $600,000 share of the purse and climbed to second on the list for the 2013 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) with 14 points after earning 10 for the win under the new "Road to the Kentucky Derby" qualifying system.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/74549/goldencents-takes-jackpot-wire-to-wire#ixzz2CWsZolVs