2012 Vox Populi Award voting is now open

caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
edited December 2012 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
The Vox Populi Award is now open for voting by the fans. I'm very disappointed that Paynter was NOT nominated- his story has been amazing. However, I'll Have Another WAS nominated and I voted for him. Feel free to share this with all your friends!

http://www.secretariat.com/fan-club/vox-populi-award/

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Pati. I agree. Dan got my vote. He's amazing.
  • I hope this dosn't come off as mean. Now I really do like Frankel and I have nothing against him but I thought this award was for the hore that inspired a nation. I horse that the general american person can go see. Last time I checked Frankel never raced here. I would rather have seen paynter on this list a horse that actually raced in america. He also had a great story. I really don't have anything against Frankel but I just feel like the horse on the list should have at least ran in america once in there career.
  • SO sad Paynter didn't make it to the nominations....He definitely deserved it after all he's been through. Love Dan though!
  • I am shocked and sad that Paynter wasn't nominated! He deserved it.
  • I'm not voting, since my choice, Paynter, is not among the nominations. I honestly thought he would be the winner of this award. I cannot believe he isn't on there. I love this award, and though I adore the nominated horses, he is the deserving winner.
  • I'm not voting, since my choice, Paynter, is not among the nominations. I honestly thought he would be the winner of this award. I cannot believe he isn't on there. I love this award, and though I adore the nominated horses, he is the deserving winner.
    Same here. Can't believe he didn't get nominated.
  • Pastthegrandstand, I agree with you. I just sent a nice letter to Secretariat.com expressing my dismay that Paynter wasn't nominated. Of course it won't matter but I wanted them to know about Paynter. Pati and JJ, I agree about Frankel. He is a hunk, but still. I wanted Paynter to win so much!!!!
  • Im glad im not the only one that feels this way. I honselty would have voted for Paynter if he had been on there. Alas he was not so I voted for Royal Delta.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Although I was very dismayed that Paynter was not on the list, I do believe you should still vote for one of the other horses. I chose IHA because he brought so much excitement with his TC run, fans were allowed to get up close and personal with him, it was encouraged by the connections, and his connections did right by him when he became injured.

Another idea I had was if we wrote to Steve Haskin and mention that Paynter and the Zayats should be given a special Eclipse award. Team Z got one for allowing the fans to be a part of the whole experience, for all the excitement she brought to racing, for their openness. So, I'm thinking if we were to ask Steve to write up an eloquent column about Paynter,his illness, the extreme highs and lows that happened during his recovery, the openness of Mr. Zayat and his emotional rollercoaster, and the loving concern of the fans and how he still keeps the fans in the loop, could sway the sportswriters into giving the special Eclipse to Paynter
  • Although I was very dismayed that Paynter was not on the list, I do believe you should still vote for one of the other horses. I chose IHA because he brought so much excitement with his TC run, fans were allowed to get up close and personal with him, it was encouraged by the connections, and his connections did right by him when he became injured.

Another idea I had was if we wrote to Steve Haskin and mention that Paynter and the Zayats should be given a special Eclipse award. Team Z got one for allowing the fans to be a part of the whole experience, for all the excitement she brought to racing, for their openness. So, I'm thinking if we were to ask Steve to write up an eloquent column about Paynter,his illness, the extreme highs and lows that happened during his recovery, the openness of Mr. Zayat and his emotional rollercoaster, and the loving concern of the fans and how he still keeps the fans in the loop, could sway the sportswriters into giving the special Eclipse to Paynter
    That's actually a good idea.
  • I, too, was all set to vote for Paynter. Can we start a "Write-in" campaign? His is the only non-Zenyatta-connected horse story I really followed this year. I don't know enough about the other horses to feel qualified to cast a vote.
  • Casey, I think your idea is excellent. I wrote Secretariat.com but I didn't think about Steve Haskin. Great idea! VA_in_CA, you can go to Secretariat.com and get the e-mail and write them like I did. It could be sort of a "write-in" campaign. If anyone else has ideas, let us know. I think Casey's idea might help. Paynter deserves something!!
  • I wholeheartedly agree that Paynter deserves recognition. His story is one for the ages. I think the "Write-In" campaign is an excellent idea. I've already emailed Secretariat.com and voiced my opinion.
  • To my way of thinking, this should not be an automatic annual award but rather reserved for a very special horse who captures the imagination of the public. Not every year will have such a horse. Paynter surely deserved to be on this list for many reasons. Zenny was the inspiration for the creation of the award and, to me, there's just not another who has had the impact on the sport that she had....yet.
    I wrote my letter to information@secretariat.com

Dear Nominating Committee,
    I find it incomprehensible that of the very fine horses nominated for the 2012 Vox Populi award, you failed to consider Shackleford and Paynter. Shackleford has a HUGE fan club and his fans were at all his races.

Paynter, a game racehorse, defeated almost insurmountable odds by recovering from colitis, disseminated intravascular coagulopathhy (DIC), laminitis and finally, an abscessed area of his cecum. His owner, Ahmed Zayat, kept the fans updated by daily messages on Twitter, and the fans responded by organizing prayer vigils, sending gifts, literature, books, and even home remedies to Mr. Zayat. He responded by opening his arms wide and welcoming all the fans, old and new, and keeping everyone informed; when he was unavailable, he even had "his angel", Dr. Laura, send tweets so the fans knew Paynter was still okay. Even now, with Paynter recovering well at Fair Hill farm, we are getting daily updates from Alex Brown as well as pictures.

My understanding of the Vox Populi award criteria is that of a horse, who has galvanized interest in our wonderful sport. The inaugural winner, Zenyatta, was made accessible to her fans by her owners, and they have shared their mare with the world. Rapid Redux, the second award winner, with 22 wins to his name and 19 in one year, just like Citation, even though he did not race at the top most levels, still garnered interest in the sport. With all due respect to those nominated, what about Black Caviar, Shackleford, Animal Kingdom and Paynter? This isn't an award about champions, it's about the horse that garnered interest in the sport. Paynter is the epitome of a horse that should win.

I do not understand how the nominating committee can possibly ignore the incredible story of Paynter and his recovery. It's reads like the script for a movie and it's the stuff legends are made of. I guess the nominating committee has been living on another planet for them to completely ignore such a deserving horse. I think you'd better offer a write in campaign for Paynter's fans, because all throughout social media, fans are angry and upset to see such a great Thoroughbred snubbed.
  • Here is the List
    Wise Dan
    I'll Have Another
    Frankel
    Royal Delta
    Shanghai Bobby

And, here is the article about the list
    Nominees announced for Secretariat 'Vox Populi' Award
    Published: December 4, 2012
    Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/12/04/4303324/nominees-announced-for-secretariat.html#storylink=cpy
    and, I sent a message to Steve Haskin...

Hi Steve- I'm not nearly as eloquent as you, but I am one of hundreds, maybe thousands, of very disappointed fans that the Vox Populi nominating committee failed to nominate Paynter, Shackleford and Animal Kingdom.
    I followed Paynter's story so closely, I was up late at night and early in the mornings (I'm in So. Cal) looking for the morning tweets about his condition. As a veterinary technician who works with horses, I knew better than most how grave his condition was, and how miraculous his recovery has been.
    Back in September, I emailed secretariat.com and suggested that Paynter be nominated. I followed up by posting on various boards suggesting that those who felt compelled do so as well. I know that many fans also wrote to secretariat.com suggesting Paynter be nominated. To see that our (the people's) suggestion not merit a nomination is a slap in the face. All due respect to the horses that were nominated, they were all champions in their own right, but most will receive other awards this year. Paynter won't. Maybe next year he will, if he can get up to full health and trains well, but that's not a given as of yet (though I hope he does, for the Zayat family's sake).
    I know you followed his saga closely as well and you have photos of "Paynter, then and now" that would eloquently illustrate this amazing story of a thoroughbred's courage, strength and heart that captured a nation. If he can't get the Vox Populi award, then I hope some sportwriters think about giving him a special Eclipse award. Paynter and the Zayats truly deserve recognition for never giving up, always fighting on, yet keeping the horse's best interests at heart. If only all of racing would take a page from their book
    Thank you as always for your wonderful way with words.
  • Vox Populi finalists not so Popular
    Horse Racing Nation 12/4/2012 7:23 AM
    With all due respect to the fine race horses, Frankel, Wise Dan, Royal Delta, I’ll Have Another, and Shanghai Bobby, the good folks that decide on the finalists for the Secretariat “Vox Populi” Award have unceremoniously left off the two most popular horses in America.

Those two horses, of course being Paynter and Shackleford, bar none.

It’s not only a swing and a miss, but to go 0-for-2, is frankly shocking. If they were looking to name five champions … they succeeded. If, however, they were attempting to reward the love and admiration of the fans of our sport … they failed miserably.

As someone who is out there with the fans at the track, and talking with them on Horse Racing Nation, Facebook, and Twitter on an hourly basis, I urge the folks who decided on this year’s finalists to consult me in the future. I will be more than happy to be the voice of the fans. This year’s decision did not speak for the fans, but rather only served to make the decision makers look out of touch.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Vox_Populi_finalists_not_so_Popular_123
  • edited December 2012
    This is what I typed to Secretariat.com.....Casey, do you know how to e-mail Steve Haskin?

Dear Nominating Committee,

It is unbelievable that, even out of all the wonderful nominees you have chosen for the Vox Populi award; you failed to include Paynter. This horse has not only faced adversity and lived to tell the tale, but he has touched the hearts of fans around the world. He refused to give up, even when to us it seemed like death was staring him in the face. Even when he was fighting Colitis, DIC, and laminitis all at once, and after that, an abscess.
    How do we know what he’d been through during this time? By the loving efforts of his very owner, Mr. Zayat. Mr. Zayat gave us a window into Paynters’ world in a way that no one had ever seen before. Giving us daily updates on Paynter, and if he wasn't there, he had Dr. Laura post daily updates to the public on Paynter. Even now, when he is at a rehabilitation center, Alex Brown and Mr. Zayat still post updates on Paynter and how he is rehabilitating.
    This horse has made a complete turnaround from on deaths’ doorstep to rolling around, happily in his paddock. It is my understanding that the Vox Populi award is given to a horse who has moved many to become enthralled in our sport. And with all due respect to the current nominees, did Paynter not achieve this? And even more? Paynter has won a battle tougher than any race, and has shown the world that he will not go quietly into the night. And even better, he showed us that he lived to see the sunrise. Would you deny him recognition for such an incomprehensible feat?
    It is utterly and COMPLETELY disrespectful to not only to Mr. Zayat and Paynter, but to the fans who grew to love and endear Paynter so much over his ordeal; to not nominate him. This great thoroughbred, this fighter, this champion, ignored.

Sincerely;

A Paynter fan.
    I'm friends with Steve on FB
    you can go to his blog on bloodhorse.com or tweet him.
  • Ah, I see.