EBLOUISSANTE: NOWHERE TO RUN, BABY!

Ann_MareeAnn_Maree Member
edited December 2012 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Headline in Saturday's TDN: EBLOUISSANTE: NOWHERE TO RUN TO, BABY...
TDN Rising Star Eblouissante (Bernardini) breezed five furlongs Friday morning over the Cushion Track at Betfair Hollywood Park, her first serious piece of work since being scratched from a Dec. 15 allowance after scraping herself in the receiving barn. The half-sister to Zenyatta (Street Cry {Ire}) is none the worse for wear following that unfortunate incident, but connections are looking for somewhere to run early on at Santa Anita. We get the update from owner and breeder Eric Kronfeld.

From the article:
The good news is that Eric Kronfeld's “TDN Rising Star” Eblouissante (Bernardini) has recovered nicely from an incident that resulted in her scratch from an entry-level allowance Dec. 15. The not-so-good news is that, for the time being, there's nowhere to run. The half-sister to Zenyatta (Street Cry {Ire}) returned to the worktab Friday morning at Hollywood, covering five furlongs in 1:00 flat, the sixth-fastest of 36 moves at the distance.

"She worked fine," Kronfeld said when reached by phone Friday, who added that the receiving barn incident of last weekend has left no lasting damage. "The only thing that happened is that she got a scrape," he explained. "She had some swelling around the scratch and was sore enough that we couldn't run her. She's totally
fine."

The first condition book for the Santa Anita meet, which begins next Wednesday, includes no first-level allowance options going long. But that doesn't mean that Eblouissante won't be seen until book two. "My guess is that there are enough other horses that fit her condition that they could fill an extra with," Kronfeld said. "But if it doesn't, we'd have to wait." Had she performed well last weekend, Eblouissante would have been under consideration for the GII La Canada S. at Santa Anita Jan. 20. Kronfeld was adamant that she will run next in an allowance race. "I will not push her," he offered."

Comments

• Huh. I wonder if they'd consider putting her in a one-mile race. It's not that much shorter than the one she won. There's race 8 on the 28th that she could go into, although she would carry full weight. It's a NW2X rather than 1X, but that shouldn't exclude her. NIce fat $60K purse, too.

Y'know, if the racing world wants to encourage breeding for stamina, then they're going to have to write races for two-turn horses. Otherwise, why bother? No wonder the commercial market likes sprinters. One can always find races for them at any track, at any level.
  • He will not push her? She's a thoroughbred, right and one in seemingly great condition.
    I hope they don't "baby' her, too much. She'll be a 4 year old in a few weeks and I would think she's ready for whatever competition is available.
  • Mr. Kronfeld indicated he is hopeful the racing secretary would add a race with conditions they are looking for, indicating that there are likely enough other fillies that need similar conditions. To insist on sticking to a plan you have mapped out for a horse is not "babying", IMHO. Ebby is big, probably approaching 17h, she has had to be stopped and started because of growth spurts, loss of weight, and time to recover the weight. I respect that both Shirreffs and Kronfeld are treating Ebby like the individual that she is -- trying to do the best for her. She has plenty of time to set the world on fire....we just have to let them prepare the bonfire properly! Many horses require different time tables...one of the problems with the sport now is buyers are looking for early-maturing, speed balls. Unfortunately, we see the results of this type of thinking each year, with 3 year olds retiring to the breeding shed to breed more champagne-glass-ankled Tbs to produce the same. What we think is not important, really...it's what John and Eric feel is in the best interests of the horse. Someone has to be in charge, and I'm glad she's in the best hands God ever gave a trainer. Go, Ebby, go!!
  • Ann Maree, I am very much aware tht horses need to be trained, raced, etc. on their own schedule so they reach their optimal potential. There is so much pressure on her just because of her bloodlines E may not have the same competitive fire her half-sister had. I have no doubt John is handling her properly and her owner, Mr. Kronfeld has her best interests at heart.
  • Why so combative, Crazy4Z? Did not mean to imply you aren't aware of anything, but I was responding to your comment, which I interpreted as being critical and judgmental of her connections. You called it "babying". I disagreed. You may want to re-phrase if you meant something else.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    There just aren't a lot of races for her. She could easily do 1 1/8, but most are either turf or stakes. And to throw a spanner in the works, we're due for rain Mon, Weds & Thu of next week.... :(
  • she kinda started last in the season also, she will be fresh when she starts back up again :) good things come to those who wait
  • I’d be very surprised if the Santa Anita stewards aren’t trying their best to “make” a prep race for her. They know there is high interest with the public/racing fans to see her run and the opportunity to have her in the La Canada is not lost on them. Everyone only wants the best for this girl so conditions will have to be right…La Canada or no La Canada.
  • There just aren't a lot of races for her. She could easily do 1 1/8, but most are either turf or stakes. And to throw a spanner in the works, we're due for rain Mon, Weds & Thu of next week.... :(
    I wonder if they'd enter her in a turf race for Main Track Only? Might be worth it if rain is likely to take the races off the green stuff.
    I’d be very surprised if the Santa Anita stewards aren’t trying their best to “make” a prep race for her. They know there is high interest with the public/racing fans to see her run and the opportunity to have her in the La Canada is not lost on them. Everyone only wants the best for this girl so conditions will have to be right…La Canada or no La Canada.
    No kidding! After all, how many horses have had their maiden debuts covered so thoroughly, and how often does a scratch from an allowance race merit articles in DRF and BloodHorse?
  • A crowd of 7,000 showed up at Hollywood Park on the day Ebby was scratched. That's about double the normal crowd. I would guess santa anita would bend over backwards to find her a race.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One would certainly hope that Santa Anita would be busy trying to add a race with conditions for Ebby....hope it is soon....
  • RosebudRosebud Member
    Yah i cant WAIT!!
  • kurtkurt Member
    ROSE- Ebby isnt even in california anymore. wont be any races with her in it anytime soon
  • I wonder if Belmont will have more races suited to her?
  • RachelRachel Member
    She might race sometime at Belmont, Mr Commons was said to race there soon