Jaycito

caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
When I saw Jaycito being eased on Saturday, my heart DROPPED. See, I saw him as a two year old who won a G1 stakes race with Mike in the irons. I LOVED the way he entered the final stretch and won. I took a bunch of photos that day. I remember that Mike had to RUN from the awards ceremony. This was Oct. 2, 2010- my birthday, and the day Zenyatta won her third consecutive Lady's Secret Stakes.... Mike had to run and change his silks for his "best girl's" silks. I actually sent the photos from Jaycito's race to Mr. Zayat last night...

So, this morning I was thrilled to find these tweets from Mr. Zayat:

Jaycito update: I want to thank @JulienLeparoux for wrapping up and protecting Jaycito according to @Midnightlute and Mike Mitchell. Jaycito hates SA dirt his instruction was if you don't think he is getting a handle of the track just protect the colt. Jaycito preffered surface is Synthetic and possibly Turf. After discussions with @Midnightlute and his former trainer. Justin and I decided to help a new and upcoming trainer @simon_callaghan to give him Jaycito as a challenge to get him back and show his old form as a Grade 1 winner at 2. I would like to Thank @Midnightlute and Mike Mitchell for taking very good care of our horse. Good Luck @simon_callaghan looking forward for fun and safe racing in the future

Comments

• I just dont think it was right that they ran him at santa anita knowing he hates the dirt. No one betted on him and if anyone really did they lost their money big time.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    They do what they can depending on the condition book. I'm actually thrilled he's going to Callaghan's barn. Jaycito is a nice colt, but he's not going to be a big name horse and I'd rather him be in a smaller barn where he'll get more attention. One reason I'm thrilled that Richard's Kid is with Doug O'Neill now...
    oh- if you're on FB, this is the link to the photos I took of Jaycito... I haven't put them online yet

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200383249454933.244133.1566321236&type=3
  • Thats good, im glad hes safe i was afraid something bad happened too
  • KetaKeta Member
    A.ZAYAT tweet on May 17 2013
    Time to retire jayctio.
    Every trainer tells me the horse trains like a champ
    but he doesn;t try in the afternoon @JustinZayat

• RachelRachel Member
    thank goodness it didnt take an injury for this to happen
  • A.ZAYAT tweet on May 17 2013
    Time to retire jayctio.

Any breeding plans?
    I've watched Jaycito race the last few times, he looks great going to the saddling barn and paddock, but when he gets on the track, he looks like he would rather be anywhere else. I appreciate Mr. Zayat trying different trainers and giving them a chance to try different things with him. He just isn't having fun any more. Kudos to Ahmed for retiring him while he's sound.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Jaycito being offered in tomorrows Fasig Tipton Horses Of Racing Age Sale, Taylor Made Sales Agency will offer him

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1001508_554035961298862_710640147_n.jpg
    There might be more to this story. I know that he's been disappointing lately. Works great in the mornings, nothing in the afternoon. I just don't think he's having fun
  • RachelRachel Member
    nah, its time to move on for him. the Zayat's did say he was retired right? so he could be offered as a stallion prospect
    I talked to Mr. Zayat tonight. He is being offered because he's a Grade 1 winner, and intact. Mr. Zayat takes care of all of his horses, either by selling them at approved sales, or rehoming them. In his words, he does NOT want him ending up at a sale where he could go to a kill buyer. As far as being retired, he hasn't been retired as of yet, he just hasn't wanted to run.
  • RachelRachel Member
    oh okay, cuz there was a tweet saying that Mr Zayat has retired him
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2013
    A.ZAYAT tweet on May 17 2013
    Time to retire jayctio.
  • The Zayats may have retired Jacito but a new owner could 'unretire' him I suppose, unless there is some agreement made as a condition of the sale.
  • RachelRachel Member
    hmm, i think it would be best to retire him if his head isnt in the game anymore, unless the new owners know how to get him back into it, if that were the case. he looks good tho
    Jaycito sold for 50,000. The plan was to use him for stud duty, because he sure isn't wanting to run. I don't know if the Zayats kept him in training to keep him fit, or if they wanted to see if another trainer could get him interested in running. I know they put him in Simon Callaghan's barn and he would train great for Simon in the morning, look great in the saddling barn and paddock, but on the racetrack he just looked like, "been there, done that" So, I hope Jaycito's new owner puts him into stud duty- he should enjoy that!
  • RachelRachel Member
    he looked great. i dont mind them wanting to keep trying for him, they love him so much i would do the same. but hopefully he can retire and enjoy some paddock fun in the sun
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited March 2015
    An update on Jaycito who has been retired and is standing at Haras Vista Hermosa in Venezuela:https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/11677/jaycito-standing-at-haras-vista-hermosa-in-venezuela.html
    An update on Jaycito who has been retired and is standing at Haras Vista Hermosa in Venezuela:https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/11677/jaycito-standing-at-haras-vista-hermosa-in-venezuela.html
    Zayat's intent when he was sold was to go to stud. This confirms what Ahmed told me- he never expected him to go back into racing.

• KMMKMM Member
    He went back to racing?
    yes the new owner raced him. If you read the article, the stud farm makes it clear they were interested in standing him, but the new owner returned him to race
  • He is not racing NOW but was before retirement at this stud farm. It says he has taken well to being a stallion
  • So that no one gets confused as to what is being discussed. Definitely not racing anymore