Rags To Riches

Where is Rags To Riches now? Last I heard about her, she was in foal to Henrythenavigator and was in Ireland. Where is she now?

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I think she is still in Ireland and has been seeing Galileo ....but not much info can
    be found
  • I wonder why there's not much info? She's such a nice mare. I still get chills thinking about her magnificent race she ran at Belmont in 2007. Hard to imagine a filly winning a Belmont, let alone fighting for the lead. Hoping to see more information about her soon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited February 2013
    had no idea this existed LOL Bloodhorse did a slideshow of Rags To Riches in 2009 before she had her first foal and then pictures of her foal. The foal is now 3 or 4 and has yet to race i believe. she was training up to her first race when she was injured and Todd Pletcher said she would be returning in the fall but that was either sometime last year or in 2011. No word on her Henrythenavigator colt, he sure is a looker. Or her Galileo colt, but maybe i can find something.

Slideshow if no one has seen it: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/RagstoRiches1stfoal/rags-to-riches-first-foal
  • Rags' first foal, Opulence, suffered a broken sesamoid IIRC. She is 4 now. I would be surprised if she ever races. I would not be surprised at all if she goes to the breeding shed this year. With her pedigree, she has great value as a broodmare. And there's a saying, "Unraced is better than unplaced."
  • Too bad. We never hear about Rags or her babies. I'd like to see them run.
  • Does anyone else agree that her race at Belmont was really spectacular?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Does anyone else agree that her race at Belmont was really spectacular?
    she was completely amazing that day....and totally determined that NO ONE was going to beat her....

• one of the ones ill always remember
  • She's still in Ireland as far as I know. I believe she's due to deliver another Galileo foal.
  • Does anyone else agree that her race at Belmont was really spectacular?
    Agree. It was spectacular for at least 2 reasons. (1) She beat Curlin and that's not easy. (2) She stumbled soon after the break and likely gave up a length or more near the start. What a race, what a performance, what a lady.

• That race was amazing! After that stumble, and she almost went to her knees, she managed to get up and beat Curlin. A spectacular feat, and showed her courage and athletic ability like nothing else. I love Rags to Riches! Its amazing to me that the jockey didn't fall off. She is like no other.
  • Great race call, too.

"...and it's gonna be... A FILLY IN THE BELMONT!!!!"
  • The caller was very excited. I love watching the race over so I can watch Rags at her best, and hear the caller.

"Here comes Hard Spun. And Curlin is coming through in between horses! And Rags to Riches is coming with a four-wide sweep! And Tiago is in behind them. And at the top of the stretch, a filly is in front at the Belmont! But Curlin is right there with her! These two, in a battle of the sexes at the Belmont Stakes! It is Curlin on the inside – Rags to Riches on the outside. A desperate finish: Rags to Riches and Curlin! They're coming down to the wire. It's gonna be very close! And it's gonna be.... A FILLY IN THE BELMONT!!!!! Rags to Riches has beaten Curlin and a hundred years of Belmont history! The first filly to win it IN OVER A CENTURY!!!!!!!
  • And, I believe, Rags was the 1st filly ever to win at a mile and a half.
  • Ruthless, the first winner of the Belmont, won it when it was a mile and 5/8ths.
  • I love Rags' filly, Opulence. Spitting image of her mom. It's really too bad that she never got to race. At least we'll get to see some of her babies, hopefully she'll be bred this year. I can't help but feel like she got cheated out of running. I think she might have ran well. Maybe her foals will be able to do what she might have been able to do if she had had the chance.
  • I love Rags' filly, Opulence. Spitting image of her mom. It's really too bad that she never got to race. At least we'll get to see some of her babies, hopefully she'll be bred this year. I can't help but feel like she got cheated out of running. I think she might have ran well. Maybe her foals will be able to do what she might have been able to do if she had had the chance.
    "Oh, what might have been...." like Danzig. And, look what he did.
  • Rags also has a really nice pedigree. Bold Ruler, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, A.P. Indy, and Northern Dancer are all in there.
  • KetaKeta Member
    2007 Belmont Stakes – Rags To Riches
    Published on Jun 18, 2012
    No, it did not start well for Rags to Riches, or for that matter the filly’s jockey, John Velazquez, or her trainer, Todd Pletcher. She stumbled out of the gate for the 139th running of the Belmont Stakes, and for a heart-in-your-throat moment, Velazquez and Pletcher had a simultaneous and bitter thought: Why did we do this? Why did we run this girl against the boys when history told us it was foolish?
    Two minutes later, however, Velazquez had Rags to Riches eyeball-to-eyeball with the Preakness champion, Curlin, and Pletcher was on his feet in a clubhouse box, his heart thumping in his chest, his voice uncharacteristically growing louder.
    “Come on, baby! Come on, baby! Come on, baby!” Pletcher cried, his voice growing more urgent with every stride.
    He is a placid man by nature, and a humbled one when it comes to Triple Crown races. He has been the nation’s leading trainer three years running, but before yesterday he had saddled 28 horses in the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont, and had not visited the winner’s circle.

Keta Note: This is the complete package. The pre-race interviews & horse profiles, an excellent graphic of the Belmont track with a comparison to Derby and Preakness, the race, and the post-race award & interviews. Good prep for the upcoming Belmont.
  • KetaKeta Member
    The rest of the story
    Michael Tabor said they hoped to run her in the Alabama and then the Classics
    at the end of the year.
    Last start was the Gazelle at Belmont on Sept. 15, 2007. Rags finished 2nd.
    It was in the Gazelle that she got the hairline fracture that eventually caused
    her to be retired.
    Keta

2007 Belmont Stakes winner Rags to Riches retired
    Mike Welsch | Daily Racing Form March 26, 2008,
    HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. — Rags To Riches, the champion 3-year-old filly in 2007, has been retired, trainer Todd Pletcher confirmed Monday.
    Rags to Riches, who defeated Horse of the Year Curlin to win the 2007 Belmont Stakes, was sidelined by a hairline fracture in her right front pastern suffered during the Gazelle Stakes at Belmont on Sept. 15. The Gazelle was her only defeat in six career starts.
    Rags to Riches, who is owned by Michael B. Tabor and Derrick Smith, returned to training with Pletcher at Palm Beach Downs earlier this winter and was scheduled to have her third work Tuesday.
    “It’s the same injury, a hairline P1 fracture, and it just looked like it wasn’t going to hold up,” Pletcher said. “I wasn’t happy with the way she galloped yesterday [Sunday], we took some additional X-rays, and after discussing the situation with Mr. Tabor, we agreed it wasn’t worth the risk of continuing on with her.”
    Pletcher said Rags To Riches will be bred to Giant’s Causeway later this spring.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3309619
  • KetaKeta Member
    J.J. Hysell ‏tweet on Sunday Aug. 18 2013
    ADMIRER, 3yo out of RAGS TO RICHES by Henrythenavigator, entered Monday at Windsor
    http://www.attheraces.com/card.aspx?raceid=776241&meetingid=61662&date=2013-08-19&ref=fixtures&refsite=&nav=racecards
  • Rags to Riches 2009 filly Opulence (by Giant's Causeway), never made it to the track due to a sesamoid injury and is currently in foal to Stay Thirsty. Her second foal, a colt by Henrythenavigator was named Admirer and finished 9th in his debut in August 2013 on turf at Windsor Racecourse in England. Her 3rd foal, her first colt by Galileo was named Auguste Rodin and is currently in training in France with Andre Fabre. Her 2012 foal was another colt by Galileo. As far as I know she was not re-bred for a 2013 foal ...
  • Churchill Downs PR ‏tweet on Oct. 27 2013 Rags To Riches 2007 Kentucky Oaks Video
    In honor of the Rags to Riches overnight stakes,
    here's a look back at the namesake's 2007 #KyOaks win

+ some post race analysis videos