Who should Zenny breed next?

Z_ForeverZ_Forever Member
edited February 2013 in Thoroughbred Breeding
I haven't found a topic like this for a while, so here goes nothing!
Post below a stallion that is
~not to close in genetics
~not too tall
~not too short
It may be a little hard to find suitable stallions!

Comments

• . Afleet Alex

. Lemon Drop Kid

. Bernardini

. Bullet Train

. Sky Mesa

• I have to agree with a Bernardini again. After all, look at 12Z and you will see nothing more than potenial, potenital, potenial.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Lonhro works well too....he is so gorgeous
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    shouldn't the title of this be who should Zenyatta be bred to?????????
  • shouldn't the title of this be who should Zenyatta be bred to?????????
    Same concept...
    Oh goodness, Tapit's cover is $125,000! Zenny is REALLY pampered with the best stallions! But hey, Tapit sired Hansen! Anyone remember that grey fairytale horse in the Derby last year?
    And Bernardini's cover in 2012 was $75,000... yup, it probably doubled.
  • Bernardini's stud fee was $75,000 in 2011 and was changed to $150,000 for 2012 breeding season.
    edited February 2013
    I like Hat Trick too...I know he is not really fashionable...but get some of the SS blood in with Zenny and who knows...but what I really want is Z13 on the ground...mom and baby is super condition..and a healthy RA
  • Unless Bernardini has a better year than last his fee might be back down to $75,000 gain.

Surely she should go back to the hottest sire in the US right now - Tapit.
  • I would rather see her go back to Tapit than Bernardini. There are conformation faults on Z12 that make me leery of trying Bernardini again, I am hoping to see more correctness from Z13.

Just so long as she never goes to Unbridled Song.

• edited February 2013
    I personally want to see her go to Afleet Alex, he is a smaller stallion with good bone and conformation.....Though if I remember correctly his dam, Maggy Hawk is a BEAST of a mare, so their foal might get the big side of that gene pool. And I have to disagree with you on Z12 @Zenyen, Z12 is looking more and more like his mother every day....The only "fault" I can think of in his conformation is his haybelly (which his father does indeed have) but that is simply because he hasn't gone into training yet....Otherwise in my opinion; he is a very good looking horse. But to each their own I suppose.
  • Maggy Hawk is a very BIG mare yes and that might be a concern.

Also Afleet Alex produces solid blue collar runners but I have yet to see him really get top level stakes winners, at least not consistently the way Tapit, Bernardini, Giant's Causeway, Tiznow, etc do.
  • Maggy Hawk's Curlin filly was just insanely large, wonder how she is?
  • Indeed, but most of those stallions are on the larger side of the spectrum. Afleet Alex is small in stature which is why I chose him as my primary choice. Another one I'd LOVE to see her covered by is Lemon Drop Kid, BEAUTIFUL stallion with probably some of the best conformation I've seen on a thoroughbred, plus he is also relatively small compared to horses like Tiznow or Giant's Causeway...So yes. He is my secondary choice.
    Maggy Hawk's Curlin filly was just insanely large, wonder how she is?
    Maggy Hawks 2012 filly is a full sister to Afleet Alex....MH is big....so was the filly
    Maggy Hawk's Curlin filly was just insanely large, wonder how she is?

Maggy Hawks 2012 filly is a full sister to Afleet Alex....MH is big....so was the filly....daddy is Northern Afleet
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited February 2013
    She had a curlin filly tho, Maggy Hawk was one of the first mares bred to Curlin when he entered stud. She was a 2010 foal whose name is now (cringe) Curlin Hawk
  • Hmm, how about Cape Blanco? I like the idea of HatTrick, too. MDO is on my short list, as is Giant's Causeway. Afleet Alex is my all time personal favorite, but, yeah, he seems to be siring hard working long running grade III, a few grade II's. I do not think he would be under consideration as Zenyatta's next covering sire. But, he will always have my heart!
  • MDO has produces some really nice kids....RA, Tasty Temptation, and Plum Pretty just to name 3 that come to mind first.
  • No expert by any means..just know what I like...Seattle Slew/Secretariat line stallions are my favorites. Just have one little request...a stallion with a lot of bone
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited February 2013
    what about the Breeder's Cup Marathon winner Afleet Again? hes at Three Chimneys

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562023_10151067965571050_1704041620_n.jpg

gorgeous horse

a better conformation photo http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/416798_10151067965131050_733506487_n.jpg
  • No expert by any means..just know what I like...Seattle Slew/Secretariat line stallions are my favorites. Just have one little request...a stallion with a lot of bone
    I agree 100% with your thoughts!
  • My new favorite choice...Malibu Moon!
  • I am trying to educate myself on all this as best that I can by reading everything I can get my hands on so if this is a stupid question you will understand. I have read about Deep Impact in Japan. He sounds impressive . I have heard that Balance is going to Frankel in Europe... Are many of our broodmares sent ouside the country. Obviously it would be expensive so only great sires would be worth it all. So what is your opinion of Deep Impact as a canidate to help with improving the gene poop here. He only has Northern Dancer in his background? Teach me!
  • @ Zenyen: So what confirmation faults do you see in 12Z that you don't like? I know he is still growing and matureing and colts change all the time. Just curious what you are refering to? TY
    I am trying to educate myself on all this as best that I can by reading everything I can get my hands on so if this is a stupid question you will understand. I have read about Deep Impact in Japan. He sounds impressive . I have heard that Balance is going to Frankel in Europe... Are many of our broodmares sent ouside the country. Obviously it would be expensive so only great sires would be worth it all. So what is your opinion of Deep Impact as a canidate to help with improving the gene poop here. He only has Northern Dancer in his background? Teach me!
    Deep Impact is a wonderful horse...great son of Sunday Silence.....I would like Hat Trick instead...also son of SS...he lives in Ky