Horse Slaughter

Comments

• I agree with everything that's already been said. When people think of slaughter, they turn their heads and bring up cattle and other livestock saying: it's worst than what the Horses deal with. That's hog wash! My FB wall is dedicated to educating people on horse slaughter via videos and articles etc. I can't remember how many petitions I've signed, how many emails sent to the appropriate parties and so on.
    When I was riding racehorses I know of a handful that ended up at slaughter. There was a slaughter house in Dixon, Ca which wasn't far from the ranch. At that time though, not much was known about what the Horses go through and since I've been fighting it, I remember the one mare that I new went. Why? Well, she had an old knee injury that need surgery but, her owners wouldn't pay for it and pretty much abandoned her at the ranch. Ellen tried to find her a home for companionship only but, no one wanted her. I tried to take her and Ellen was willing to just give her to me board free etc. The owners wanted $$$. So many owners out there barely even see their horses and it's not just in the racing industry either. I can count on my hand how many owners came out to watch me gallop their horses on a normal basis. They don't give a rats ass about them. Which is one of the saddest things I've witnessed. So, when you do have responsible owners/trainers, I applaud them.
    It just makes me sick to my stomach to know that the Filly that taught me to race ride was a victim. Who knows how many of my equine teachers faced the same fate? I don't even want to think about that. Disturbing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you ALL for your support of this topic! In my county, there were nightly horse stealing going on while the IL plant was still open. (We, with the help of some great politicians, got it closed down) and on one of the trucks we stood in front of was a stolen little girl's paint pony! She had been crying herself to sleep every night since that pony was stolen. Will never forget the day she got that cute little paint back, and he knew he was home, when put back into his paddock, he starting running, kicking up his heels, snorting, throwing his head around, then came back to his little girl. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it. And to think some jerk took this pony in the middle of the night for slaughter is beyond me; all they, the slaughter people think about is the money! Thank you all again!!!!
  • New Mexico Slaughter Plant to open in 3 weeks

http://www.meatingplace.com/Industry/News/Details/40656

You need to read what the meat packers are saying about this!
  • I couldn't access it. If its coming from the lawyer for Rick de Los Santos I wouldn't go 100% by what he says. They still have to pass inspections. Plus the USDA has to find the funds to inspect any time their open. And you can bet they'll be people watching...

I got an alert from EWA last night. I don't want to jinx anything. Go over to Equine Welfare Alliance and have a read at what's being said.

They can say they'll be open but if horse slaughter is banned opening isn't going to do them much good is it?
    New Mexico Slaughter Plant to open in 3 weeks

http://www.meatingplace.com/Industry/News/Details/40656

You need to read what the meat packers are saying about this!
  • Meating Place is a meat industry web-site. Yesterday Congress did vote to fund USDA inspection that was going to be cut back due to sequestration. That was our one hope so as to buy time to get the Senate bill passed that Sen Lindsey Graham has out there.

Slaughter plants in other states have also applied for USDA inspection to open.

So if Valley Meat opens, the other plants will be opening soon.

Our only hope is the bill in the Senate.

• But is USDA's funding is cut who's going to be there on site? Anytime you slaughter you have to have an inspector on grounds. So they still have issues of being able to get someone out there to do that final inspection. And who has training that's current for horse slaughter? They need to be trained. That's more money.

Even if these hellholes open up they won't be open long because of EU standing and the enforcements coming at the end of July.

Who is going to buy this tainted meat? China eats their own. Russia doesn't import our cows, I can't see them importing our horses. And the EU will shut their doors to us.

I have to hand it to the governments that are or soon will be blocking our horses for human consumption. Our own government is too entrenched in lobbying and digging their heels in. Oklahoma should have been made aware of what's coming down the pike. Too bad they chose to ignore it. The guy in NM? His employee is coming under a lot of fire for a horrendous video he posted. Not sure Rick will be able to keep him on the books...plus the new rulings will also affect him too.

A question just came to mind. Say he operates a slaughter house here. All the meat is sent to Mexico but is not inspected. What will happen at the boder?
  • Yesterday Congress voted to restore the cuts Vilsack was going to make to the number of USDA inspectors. That opens the door for Valley Packing to open.

Sadly, we have Republican Senators from the mid west states who want the horse slaughter as a way to get rid of the Mustangs who compete with the cattle on the open ranges.

We have to start contacting our state governments to try and stop anymore slaughter houses from opening. Granted the USDA is over meat inspection, but the rules for the slaughter houses, the sale of the animals etc comes under the states.

Mark my words...as soon as these slaughter houses open...horse thefts will sky rocket...no ones horses will be safe from being stolen and slaughtered...it will open up another huge black market.

• I need to add too...that the meat industry has some unethical plants and plant owners...they will package and sell horse meat with or without drug residues and not care about the public as long as they make their dollar. Not all will...but there are some.

Be aware also that some states have bills banning videos or photographing what goes on in the plants...they do not want the public to see how the animals are abused before slaughter and the Federal Government just passed some law about prosecuting whistle blowers.

We have a steep and long uphill battle before us...and just as a side note...Russia and China ban our exports to control price and competition for their own products...they do not care about the health of their people.
  • cigarcigar Member
    I am not too surprised that the story came from Fox News. Not all reliable. Good response. I too am exremely opposed to horse slaughter,and will contact my members of Congress.

As a supporter of the Cloud Foundation, I know that wild horses have been sent to slaughter. The recent scandal at the BLM is testament to that. Horses were sold to a man named Tom Davis and ended up going to slaughter in Mexico.

I also agree that overbreeding is a huge issue. Not all owners are as caring as the Mosses or Mrs Banke.
  • cigar - I am not too surprised that the story came from Fox News. Not all reliable. Good response. I too am exremely opposed to horse slaughter,and will contact my members of Congress.

As a supporter of the Cloud Foundation, I know that wild horses have been sent to slaughter. The recent scandal at the BLM is testament to that. Horses were sold to a man named Tom Davis and ended up going to slaughter in Mexico.

I also agree that overbreeding is a huge issue. Not all owners are as caring as the Mosses or Mrs Banke.

I saw the article that was part of a poll on Fox and believe me many of us blasted the author of the piece for doing such a lousy job in their report.

There are currently bills in the House and the Senate to stop horse slaughter, so please contact your Representative as well as your Senators.

I have also taken the additional steps of contacting the governor of my state for a response on a state ban on the sale of horses for slaughter and to prohibit any slaughterhouses from being opened in my state.

There are so many ramifications that will result from slaughter that will impact all horse owners both in the short term and the long term.

Valley Meat Packing, the one that will open in three weeks already has 200,000 horses ready to slaughter and that is just the tip of the iceberg....these companies will not stop until they have slaughtered every horse they can get their hands on and when there are not left to buy, they will start stealing our horses. I know, I saw it happen back in the 1970's and 1980's.

Thank you for your support!

• Here is quite an article from Fox News. Fox has been discussing this issue, and I have heard some really good support. I hope the article posts correctly.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/20/us-horse-farms-almost-ready-to-start-slaughtering/

I also read through quite a bit of the comments left by people in response to this article ; These comments are worth the read.

I truly feel that if allowed , and these killers open their plants again in the United States, the suffering the poor horses will endure will be nothing short of an atrocity committed upon Equines. I also would bet these slaughtering hooligans will ship the meat to Europe.

I know that someday I will ride My Girl again across Heaven's fields. Until then, until I get the chance to once again look at her beautiful face, I will do all in my power to not let other horses go to such a terrible death in this Country. I may not have been able to save My Girl, but I can and will work to save others from the same fate.
  • If one does the math, according to the Fox interview, just the New Mexico facility would expect to slaughter over 36,000 horses per year.

It appeared to me that the main point of the article was to point out the mixed messages coming from our own Government. The effort I expend on this issue will be directed to the people who represent me in Washington. I do believe one person can move mountains..Give up is not in my vocabulary.

I also believe the media/news is a tool to be used wisely. After reading the article, I wondered what would happen if a horse slaughter plant, in all it gruesome activity, was front and center on the evening news, or cable news. People would be horrified.

The argument that it would be too gruesome to see doesn't work; right now they are showing horrible pictures every night on the news about a murder trial in Arizona.

I do believe this forum, and others, such as the FOB's, have done wonders in raising awareness. I also feel that there are many of us who need to continually pester the dickens out of our Representatives/Senators in Washington. Remember, you can always campaign against your elected representative in Washington (and let them know you will) if they join the slaughter bandwagon. I am all for strength in numbers, especially during campaign season.
  • PattyCakes...I am with you,,,give up is not in my vocabulary, particularly when it comes to things that I feel passionately about.

We need to take advantage of every media, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, e-mail...to keep the message out front..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I even sent a tweet to President Obama.
  • I hear what you're saying but the video that was going around this week IS SO GRAPHIC--it boggles the mind how this guy could do this.

Let me tell you what happens. It's approximately 51 secs long. I think you can access it through RT's site but you need to warned THIS IS NOT FOR CHILDREN! This is extremely graphic video. It starts out just fine, horse is grazing. Then you see this man leading the haltered horse. He scratches the forehead. Says "all you animal activists expletive you. He pulls out a gun and shoots the horse ON CAMERA.

He had the audacity to label this horse learns to play dead...real quick. There is no warning of the graphic content.

This is the mentality of slaughterhouse workers. This was one of my many reasons listed why to vote against opening a slaughterhouse in Oklahoma. Sadly all those remarks were brushed aside. In the end when crime is up, violence against women and children have skyrocketed and the ground is so toxic that it's going to make the movie "Gasland" look like a playground WE ALL are gonna get stuck with the clean up bill.

The lawmakers were hell bent on making slaughter legal in Oklahoma to the extent that they ignored common sense environment mentalists. They chose to ignore crime stats.

And that horrible man in that awful video is going to be child's play compared to what's coming down the pike in Roswell and Oklahoma. I have no trouble boycotting Oklahoma. I'm not sure there's anything there that's of interest to me other than the wild horses, and there closed off to the public anyway. NM has Carlsbad Cavern's. Not too much has changed apparently since I was there in 91. White's City still gets an abundance of nasty complaints about their tourism. Not surprising, they ruined Carlsbad Caverns for me. But another super interesting cave is also nearby. It's mostly closed off. You have to know insiders to get in and you have to be able to manage spelunking, dropping down a couple hundred ft into a dark vast underground cave. That cave is Lecheguilla. It is fascinating, pristine.

Other than those two caves I can't see any reason to visit NM. So they don't get my tourism dollars either.

Do be aware that plant owners are claiming how lean and pure and ethical their plants are. I'm gonna go out on a limb and holler WHITEWASH! We know Temple Grandin as soon as her back is turned things are back to where they were before. Her famed slaughterhouse in Canada was one of the worst. SS can holler all she wants about how ethical the kill will be, she can claim all she wants that no stolen horses will be accepted. How in heavens name--except for her being there 24/7 is this going to happen. And by the way could she even stomach an actual slaughter plant?
    I need to add too...that the meat industry has some unethical plants and plant owners...they will package and sell horse meat with or without drug residues and not care about the public as long as they make their dollar. Not all will...but there are some.

Be aware also that some states have bills banning videos or photographing what goes on in the plants...they do not want the public to see how the animals are abused before slaughter and the Federal Government just passed some law about prosecuting whistle blowers.

We have a steep and long uphill battle before us...and just as a side note...Russia and China ban our exports to control price and competition for their own products...they do not care about the health of their people.
  • cigarcigar Member
    I read about the video, did not see it. Many of the comments were pathetic, though.
  • I would not be able to stand watching that video, just the picture of it in my mind turns my stomach. I cannot tolerate cruelty to an animal, child or the elderly.

Anyway, I agree, if we had a really strong and powerful voice from the Tbred industry and in fact from all of the breed registries.
  • cigarcigar Member
    All breeds should be involved, because all are affected. I know of several Arabians that have been rescued, one was a registered Polish Arabian, Lech PASB. He was neglected and in bad shape, and now is great and siring outstanding foals. Any horse can end up going to slaughter after having changed hands many times.
  • cigarcigar Member
    Just wanted to give everyone a little piece of good news. Ms. Kelly, the mustang mare whose mare cam was on the Cloud Foundation website, has had her foal, a little filly that looks just like her mother. There is still hope in the world.
  • http://bcare77.wordpress.com/

This person's blog has some information on the subject, but be forewarned it contains very disturbing pictures and content...
  • The filthy rich TB owners and chronic breeders are much at fault for this. As soon as they breed their mare, she has the foal, she's already lined up for another one. Then when the mare cannot have a foal any longer, she's discarded like trash.
    It's going to take a LOT of hell raising by horse lovers like us. I went through the whole thing when we got the IL plant closed, and we even were threatened to be arrested for standing in front of the trucks. Didn't care. Every night there were police reports of people's horses being stolen from their paddocks and it got to the point where they had to bring them in and padlock the stall door. On their OWN property too!
    I truly believe these people like that "man" on that video are going to go to Hell and burn. Deservedly.
    I got banned from the idiotic Pedinq. forum because I was trying to gather up good folks like yourselves on there to help put a stop to this. All I got was called names and all my posts regarding this topic were mysteriously removed! Why? Because those snobs on that forum are the ones that do nothing but breed breed breed and do not care what happens to the actual animal that wins them their much loved money. The Jockey Club needs to step up more and do something about this. No mare needs to be bred every year, and most people sell them, or if they keep to race, they still cannot guarantee the outcome of the life of the horse they are responsible for bringing into the world. And that Arabian stallion that was rescued, he should have been gelded, why was he breeding more?!?! In this economy there just is not enough room for thousands upon thousands of annually bred horses, and yes, the big named mare owners can be an example and not breed them every year as well.
    Thank you all for your concern and care about this very terrible topic. Time to start burning up those phone lines!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    just got email from my senator...response to the petition I signed....stated he is in accord with banning all horse slaughter...good news