Horse Slaughter

Comments

• @Paniol_Gal I read the book. It is a very good read.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2013
    Came across this highway incident in Missouri that occurred back in October, 2006. A semi loaded with 41 horses and 1 mule enroute to a slaughter house had overturned. It was a traumatic experience both for the poor horses and the community of people who volunteered to help. Caution...It is a tear-jerker.

• Amendment to Defund Horse meat Inspections Clears Committee
    By Pat Raia JUN 15, 2013 TOPICS: Slaughter Equine Welfare & Legislation
    Print
    Email
    Favorite

An amendment that would deny the USDA funding to carry out inspections at horse processing plants has cleared the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee.

An amendment that would deny the USDA funding to carry out inspections at horse processing plants has cleared the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee. The amendment will be included in the Fiscal Year 2014 Appropriations Bill when it moves to the full House for consideration.

Prior to 2005, USDA personnel carried out horsemeat safety inspections at U.S. processing plants. In 2006, Congress voted to strip the USDA of funding for inspections at facilities that process horsemeat for human consumption. Department of Agriculture funding bills contained amendments denying the USDA funding for horse processing plant inspections until November 2011, when Congress passed an appropriations bill that did not contain language specifically forbidding the agency from using federal dollars to fund horsemeat inspections. While there are no horse processing plants currently operating in the United States, the Valley Meat Co., LLC, has applied for a USDA permit to process horses in New Mexico. The operation has had pre-permitting inspections and the permit remains pending.

On June 13, Anne Hughes, spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Jim Moran, said that members of the House Appropriations Committee had passed the so-called Moran Amendment by a voice vote. Co-sponsored by Rep. Bill Young, the bipartisan provision would prevent the USDA from using federal funds to conduct meat inspections at horse slaughter facilities. The funding denial would, in effect, ban horse processing in the United States, Hughes said.

A similar amendment was attached to previous appropriations bills, but was later stripped from the final appropriations legislation. This amendment has a good chance of remaining attached to the final legislation for several reasons, Hughes said.

“First, there is the urgency of the current situation (in the) pending approval of a facility in New Mexico,” Hughes said. “Also the amendment has the support of the USDA that included this provision in their fiscal year 2014 budget request.”

Finally, Hughes said, members of the public are more aware that U.S. horse processing could resume and are willing to pressure their Congressmen to prevent it.

Jo Deibel, founder and executive director of the Angel Acres Horse Haven Rescue in Glennville, Pa., praised the amendment for effectively preventing the resumption of horse processing in the United States.

“It's a fate no horse should ever face,” Deibel said.

Meanwhile, attorney Blair Dunn, who represents the owners of Valley Meats, Co., said it's too soon to know how the legislation will fare.

“It's not done in the House and still has to pass the Senate,” Dunn said. “If it makes it out, then as of September everything will be shut down again and we will be left to seek $8 million in damages incurred in the past 14 months.”

Finally, Tom Lenz, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACT, has opposed legislation aimed at processing on the grounds that no proposed legislation has provided funds to support horses that could end up in a welfare situations possibly worse than processing, and no legislation has designated or funded a federal agency to care for those horse which might be treated poorly, he said. Even so, provisions in the Moran amendment are not surprising, Lenz said.

“It appears that the USDA has been inspecting potential plants that would process horses,” Lenz said. “I'm sure that has stimulated the efforts of those wanting to permanently stop the processing or export for processing of horses for human consumption.”

The appropriations bill containing the Moran Amendment moves on to the House for consideration.
  • cigarcigar Member
    A lawsuit has been filed to stop the USDA from approving these plants. As for horses being neglected, if you can't care for horses, don't have any. We are always trying to discard what we don't want.
  • Cigar, I agree with you. People seem to think they can just discard things, animals being one of them. I have long been appalled at the way Human Beings simply discard dogs, cats, and horses, seemingly without a qualm. I for one think of these magnificent animals as being sentient beings, they have an awareness, they have feelings, they think.

When I saw the article and posted it here, I wondered how that Lawyer could sleep at night. Can you imagine making the argument the Slaughter, that horrible cruel terrifying gruesome death, is good for horses, and will prevent them suffering? Unbelievable.
  • RachelRachel Member
    yea i cant think of any words describing how the process of slaughter is humane. i would think of euthanasia first, but since it is a liquid in the blood stream we cant have that in our bodies. people are told where exactly the fastest way to kill a horse is at, heck even during the World Wars when horses were largely used they were told where to shoot to kill immediately. but we abuse that knowledge with just totally discarding it, thus leads to animals only being stunned and not killed so they die a very horrible death. slaughtering is awful, i wish it would go away.
  • RachelRachel Member
    yea thats true :( it doesnt make sense to starve that which you are killing for its meat
  • News about horse slaughter. I learned a lot just by attending the Press conference at Old Friends in conjunction with the International Meeting held at the Kentucky Horse Park. Now this news... please read. I don't care how long it takes, or whether or not we have to stand in front of trucks to stop this...THIS WILL BE STOPPED!

U.S. federal appeals court halts horse slaughter
    9:12 p.m. EST November 4, 2013

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) — A federal appeals court on Monday temporarily halted plans by companies in two U.S. states to begin slaughtering horses, continuing on-again, off-again efforts to resume domestic equine slaughter two years after Congress lifted a ban on the practice.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver issued a temporary injunction barring the Department of Agriculture from inspecting the plants in New Mexico and Missouri, which were gearing up to open in the coming days after a federal judge in Albuquerque on Friday dismissed a lawsuit by The Humane Society of the United States. The Humane Society and other animal protection groups alleged the department had failed to conduct proper environmental studies when it issued permits to the slaughterhouses.

The Humane Society filed an immediate appeal and won an emergency injunction.

"Horse slaughter is a predatory, inhumane business, and we are pleased to win another round in the courts to block killing of these animals on American soil for export to Italy and Japan," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "Meanwhile, we are redoubling our efforts in Congress to secure a permanent ban on the slaughter of our horses throughout North America."

Blair Dunn, who represents Valley Meat Co. of Roswell, New Mexico, and Rains Natural Meats of Gallatin, Missouri, emphasized the order was temporary.

"We know the 10th Circuit will follow the law and allow my clients to proceed as soon as our side is considered," Dunn said. "The plaintiffs have misstated the law, the facts and the science. We look forward to a quick decision when the facts are considered and the District Court's careful decision is reviewed."

Valley Meat Co. owner Rick De Los Santos has been fighting for two years for approval to open. He converted his small, struggling cattle slaughterhouse in southern New Mexico to take advantage of a shift in Congress that lifted a ban on funding for inspections at horse slaughterhouses.

A vote to end that funding in 2006 had effectively banned horse slaughter until the money was restored in 2011.

The USDA, however, did not approve the first permits for horse slaughter plants until this summer. But just days before Valley Meat and a third company, Responsible Transportation of Sigourney, Iowa, were set to open, U.S. District Judge Christina Armijo issued a temporary restraining order that kept the plants closed until she decided the lawsuit by the animal protection groups. Responsible Transportation since has converted its plant to cattle.

The debate over a return to domestic horse slaughter has been an emotional one that centers on whether horses are livestock or companion animals and what is the most humane way to deal with the country's horse overpopulation, particularly in the drought-stricken West. Supporters say it is better to slaughter unwanted horses in regulated domestic plants than to ship them thousands of miles to sometimes inhumane plants in Mexico.

During the two-year fight, De Los Santos and his wife have received numerous death threats. And last summer, there was a suspicious fire at the plant.

The issue has divided horse rescue and animal welfare groups, ranchers, politicians and Indian tribes.

The companies want to ship horse meat to countries where it is consumed by humans or used as animal feed.

• You know, I have purposely stayed away from this subject because I felt it would take me off the deep end. Folks, this is discusting.

Good bye.
  • MARKINSAC

Don't turn and take off. I get this is horrible. I understand all too well. But everyone who wants this to stop must fight with all their might! ONE PERSON can make a difference. Each one of us may only be that ONE PERSON, but we have strength in numbers.

I cannot stand by and let the death of my Girl be in vain; I need to stand up no matter what and help her brothers and sisters, so they do not suffer and die in a slaughterhouse like she did. I am sure there are more of us that want this to stop than there are of these disgusting heathens.
  • My question has always been what happens to all these animals that are saved? Believe me I hate slaughter house, especially the non care and consideration these animals get. So where do all these animals go, if the house's are closed. They will possibly be shipped to Mexico. That means longer hours and deaths in the trailers. Any resolutions on that part?
  • At the Equine Conference the actual reasons horses end up in the pipeline were far different from what I had thought. It can be directly traced to HAY. The information was that if the hay supply is low, more horses in slaughter. If more hay is planted, less in slaughter pipe line.

This is amazing, but then maybe not. A lot of acres have been taken up with the corn for Ethanol planting.. Statistics show Ethanol as every bit as much a pollutant as oil/gas, but their seems to be a subsidy on it.. So hay acres are not as plentiful.

I'll get the link and post here tonight so all can go and look at the results of the Conference. I was really shocked at all of the information being far different from what I thought. I met some wonderful people..Tripping was discussed among other issues.
  • International Equine Conference is on Facebook. You can see some pix of the group, and the Press Conference at Old Friends.

Michael Blowen, owner and founder of Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Facility, will open the press conference. Participating in the press conference will be key individuals from

The Equine Welfare Alliance,
    Respect4Horses,
    the Cloud Foundation,
    Wild Horse Freedom Federation,
    Wild Horses of the Abaco’s
    and the Humane Society of the United States.

Google the above for some very good info. As I said, I learned a lot at this conference.

Michael Blowen, to me, shows what just one person's dream can do. Look at the difference he has made..it was his dream, and he made it come true. What a good Man!
  • I saw on twitter that approximately 80,000 horses went to slaughter in the U.S. last year with about half of those being thoroughbreds. Unbelievable! There's no way that many horses can be rescued.
  • Which brings u to the thought of how many offspring of these stallions actually do make it to live out a full life?
  • I know Rachel, it really makes you think. It's just so sad. And does anyone realize when these horses sell at auction for millions of dollars, how just 1% of that could save so many horses? If only the industry could allocate just a little with each sale, etc., it would make a huge difference in being able to afford to retire and keep these horses after racing.
  • Industry positions on slaughter. This may have been posted before, if so, sorry! It is five years old but updated on October 10th. Read comments also. Interesting.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/industry-organization-positions-on-slaughter/
  • Nancy Pelosi, passing the buck...don't get me started on her!
  • Oh, no! Politics! I've let the genie out of the bottle.
  • I was wrong, way more horses went to slaughter than 80,000!
    http://t.co/JXvitjfdh7
  • edited November 2013
    The only comment I will say on all of this is " HSUS and PETA are in each others pockets. Neither group wants us to own ANY animals AT ALL. EVER.......... These two organizations are not animal lovers friends.
    HSUS doesn't even have one humane society or animal rescue at in the US.
    PETA has been caught and charged with euthanizing the pets they offer to take for free to find good homes, such as dumping them in trash containers.
    Horse slaughter is a necessary evil. Nobody has the money or land or feed to keep all the horses that are no longer wanted. Starving to death in a pasture forgotten is lots worse than a quick painless death. Being turned out to die in the "wild" to fend for themselves is not a good death. If things are regulated better,and opened up back in the US, then the horses will not be sent to Mexico or other places where nothing is regulated. Rides will be shorter for the horses, not hours and hours of riding across borders. A lot of folks that have horses have no place to bury them in towns and cities, what are they supposed to do with their old, sick horses? Do exactly what lots and lots of folks are doing, take them for a last trailer ride and dump them in the forest, hills, back roads and just drive off and not claim them.
    Until everyone can be made to be responsible for EVERY animal they produce, then slaughter is necessary.
    Overbreeding is the cause of this situation. In all type of horse sports, whether the backyard breeder or the millionaire race horse owner, as long as THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of foals are born every year, this situation will continue.
  • edited November 2013
    I agree that the way the business is run, there seems to be no choice but slaughter. I will never support it, though, and I feel the industry has to make major, major changes in breeding, etc, as has been pointed out, in order to stop horse slaughter. Presently, if the figures above are correct and 180,000 or so of our horses are sent to slaughter in Mexico and Canada, we can't stop it. No way can that many horses be rescued. There are not enough rescues out there to save these beautiful animals. Here in the U.S we can't really complain about our horses going to Japan and other places. We are obviously not taking care of them here. How can we bash Japan for Ferdinand when we slaughter as many as we do? We have many issues to take care of in our own backyard. Don't get me wrong, I hate slaughter and don't support it, but what in the hell are we going to do with all these horses? Sure there are the small numbers of "special horses" at stud, etc. that are looked after, but what about the rest? Someone needs to come up with a plan.